I want to make a compare between three software and hardware synths:

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cubbyhouse

Pophet-5 Rev3 vs. Pro-53 (synchronic programming)
Minimoog Voyager vs. Arturia Minimoog (synchronic programming)
Yamaha DX-7 vs. FM-7 (synchronic patches)

And the end results should end up in a WAV.

But how do you recommend doing this the right way?
How do you think the outcome will be?

Hmm, if possible, you should probably compare Arturia's Prophet V to the P-5 rather than NI's Pro-53. It's pretty much agreed that the Pro-53 doesn't do a very convincing emulation and it's starting to be quite dated as well...

I agree completely with Krushing. The NI Pro-5x series are very weak emulations of the real stuff. They were great VSTi's at the time they were released (years ago... some of the very first ones !!) but now they are so outdated.
The NI FM-7 is better; very resembling the real one (misses a little power but still very good).
The Arturia synths are great emulations - the best out there together with the GMedia MiniMax and the Korg Legacy Collection (for some of the classic Korg synths then).

I still think the Pro-53 is a nice VSTi - if you forget the emulation part. It's very convenient to get it to sit in a mix.

Imho the Pro-52 or -53 is seriously outdated (without being "vintage" :) ) - there are much better VSTi's nowadays. Even for free - like the Superwave P8 - which is still one of my favourite VSTi's.
But of course tastes differ... Cheers mate. :cheers:

Last edited:
cubbyhouse said:

Pophet-5 Rev3 vs. Pro-53 (synchronic programming)
Minimoog Voyager vs. Arturia Minimoog (synchronic programming)
Yamaha DX-7 vs. FM-7 (synchronic patches)

And the end results should end up in a WAV.

But how do you recommend doing this the right way?
How do you think the outcome will be?

if you are comparing the same patches on both synths (it would make more sense that way),
you can do a series of AB comparison: (A being synth1, B synth2)
patch1: A [1 second silence] B
patch2: ....

or you you could record 2 mono tracks for each patch.. they should be triggered from the same midi track so that they play the same thing in sync. Then Pan track1 hard left and track2 hard right.. the listener can pan his mixer left to hear synth1 and right to hear synth2 or center to hear both simultaneously...

hth

if you are comparing the same patches on both synths (it would make more sense that way),
you can do a series of AB comparison: (A being synth1, B synth2)
patch1: A [1 second silence] B
patch2: ....

or you you could record 2 mono tracks for each patch.. they should be triggered from the same midi track so that they play the same thing in sync. Then Pan track1 hard left and track2 hard right.. the listener can pan his mixer left to hear synth1 and right to hear synth2 or center to hear both simultaneously...

hth

hello. i know this thread is outdated but you seem to be the go to guy. what exactly is a/b comparison?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back