i am trying to decide between the prophet 08 and the voyager moog???

well i have heard the sound difference is almost the same, yet of cost the voyager u can save patchs. plus u can make it a modular synth.

although i might get the prophet down the road, i heard its no good at bass. and i use alot of that since i do a lot of drum and bass.

Bethata said:
well i have heard the sound difference is almost the same, yet of cost the voyager u can save patchs. plus u can make it a modular synth.

although i might get the prophet down the road, i heard its no good at bass. and i use alot of that since i do a lot of drum and bass.

The person who told you they sound almost the same is a complete idiot who knows nothing about these or any synths.

You should never listen to anything those people say ever because they are morons.

In fact, I would sever all ties with them completely (yes, they are that stupid and unreliable.)

I guess you did understand Dvyce wrongly; it IS a great synth (both Voyager and P08 actually are, only imo the Voyager can't beat the old classic MOOG synths), but what Dvyce means is that they doesn't sound the same at all.

Bethata said:
so u dont think its a good synth?

Where do you see me saying that either of those are not good synths? I said absolutely nothing about the quality of either of those synths. They are both quite fine synths.

I said they do not sound anything alike. They are very different from eachother.

To say they sound similar is like saying "fried chicken" tastes similar to a "chocolate cake"... Aside from the fact that you eat both of them, they are not similar at all... And it does not
mean they are not both good (but not everyone likes chocolate cake and not everyone likes fried chicken)

If he can misunderstand you, he could have misunderstand his friend.

And come to think about it I can actually hear whta his friend really said...

'I want to add some synths to my music. Should I get a Voyager or Prophet?'

'Either one will do the job.'

It's not like he's going to make a composition and someone is going to hear it and scream "You Dunkoff! No way a Prophet goes there! Only A voyager can fit in that space- --- you...you idiot!"

I think it's a comparision between creamy desserts.
Prophet Polyphonic "Chocolate layer cake"
Voyager monophonic "Lemon Meringue"

I might never make it to sound comparisons...
So many other contrasts...

Last edited:
well the reason i said that, is because dvyce was saying my friend was so wrong about his opinion that i should never speak to him again. to me his post sounded like i just wasted 1795 buying a new rackmount voyager.

so what what would you all say the voyagers strengths are?

You really have to assess your personal needs and goals. They both sound great. You do realize that you're plunking down $1795 for a monophonic analog synth, right?

To be honest, you should have known that before you bought it.
I mean it sounds like a powerful 'monophonic analog synth'.

What are the reasons anyone buys a synth?
Musical
1. Raw Sound
2. Programmability
3. Playability/Portability
Intangibles
1. Historical Reputation (more so collectors and for nolstagia)
2. Appearance
3. Popularity
Impulse
1. Price

If you're just a guy with some cash looking to buy an awesome synth-- just because -- then it won't really matter either way. You'll probably buy the second one in the future anyway.

THM said:
the Voyager has not the vintage MOOG sound, and it is pretty limited in features for a new synth. Compared to the Prophet 08, the latter has much more features and does at least equal the sound quality of the Voyager.

I think that really depends on which features are important to the user? No? The Prophet 08 is about as vanilla as synths can get, at least in my eyes. Two DCO's, and 1 lowpass filter are so 1980's. The only things that make the Prophet 08 stand above something like a Roland JX-8P are the interface and more modulation options.

The Voyager, on the other hand, offers two voltage controlled filters, one high pass and one low pass, each with variable polarity. This allows for some interesting filter configurations, like bandpass filtering with 18db of highpass and 6db of lowpass. This is impossible on most other synths, unless you are running something like Nord Moduar or have a real modular with multiple filters.

Not to mention the beefy VCO's on the Voyager which allow you to blend between waveshapes.

THM said:
Don't forget Dave Smith was the designer of some great vintage classics like the classic Prophet-series...

Ehhhh....Dave Smith's synths only sounded as good as the chips that he sourced. What he did is create the digital logic that allowed for SSM chips (in his earliest synths) and eventually CEM chips (in his later synths) to work together as one polyphonic instrument, with capabilities such as digital patch storage. He didn't actually design the sound producing components himself. Not that his contributions to electronic music aren't noteworthy (har har), but I wouldn't attribute the actual timbre of his instruments to him. If SSM chips never came out, there would never have been a Prophet 5.

THM said:
And also don't forget the Voyager is only monophonic, one of his worst features if you ask me (unless you have a lot of $$ and combine several Voyager racks)...
Cheers.

The original poster already has polyphonic synths in his arsenal though. I think the Voyager would fill a good niche in his studio.

TWJMusic said:
You do realize that you're plunking down $1795 for a monophonic analog synth, right?

Look inside a Voyager sometime, and then look inside a Prophet 08. It'll make more sense then.

Last edited:
Bethata said:
well the reason i said that, is because dvyce was saying my friend was so wrong about his opinion that i should never speak to him again. to me his post sounded like i just wasted 1795 buying a new rackmount voyager.

He is as wrong as if he said a piano and a trumpet sound the same as eachother.

(if, as someone else pointed out, you actually understood him correctly and he did actually say that)

Array said:
Look inside a Voyager sometime, and then look inside a Prophet 08. It'll make more sense then.

Array, I wasn't doubting the VALUE of the Moog, I have a Voyager myself. I just wanted the original poster to know that THAT'S what he was getting.

Last edited:
TWJMusic said:
Array, I wasn't doubting the VALUE of the Moog, I have a Voyager myself. I just wanted the original poster to know that THAT'S what he was getting.

Fair enough. There's just too many people out there doing the "ZOMG YOU PAID HOW MUCH FOR ONE NOTE???" dance. My apologies for the misunderstanding.

For anyone who is curious, this is the amount of circuitry is takes to create a single voice on the voyager:

http://www.till-kopper.de/voyager.html

Compare this to just a couple, or maybe even a single, CEM chip to get one voice on the Prophet 08.

btw pretty much he said "sure they sound different, but the difference is so small, most ppl couldnt even tell. beside with midi, patch saving and modular options, your much better off with a new voyager."

Bethata said:
btw pretty much he said "sure they sound different, but the difference is so small, most ppl couldnt even tell. beside with midi, patch saving and modular options, your much better off with a new voyager."

MODULAR OPTIONS

Array said:
Fair enough. There's just too many people out there doing the "ZOMG YOU PAID HOW MUCH FOR ONE NOTE???" dance. My apologies for the misunderstanding.

For anyone who is curious, this is the amount of circuitry is takes to create a single voice on the voyager:

http://www.till-kopper.de/voyager.html

Compare this to just a couple, or maybe even a single, CEM chip to get one voice on the Prophet 08.
Don't be fooled by the "apples wrapped in orange skins" argument.

Array is failing to mention what the Prophet08 can do that the Moog cannot.

I cannot argue that I am slightly let down by a 12/24db switchable low-pass filter. It IS somewhat limiting. That is the only gripe I have with what is an otherwise stunning board. But once I pass it through my Electrix Filter Factory, it just doesn't matter that much.

The Pro8 has eight voices which can be played in in unison for a phatness that can't be matched by one voice, no matter what you do. Furthermore, the Pro8 allows you to stack two patches for MUCH more complex sounds than a monophonic synth could ever hope to produce. Array points out there are more modulation options for the Pro8 than the Moog but doesn't mention just how powerful they are: each patch has FOUR LFOs that can be assigned to any parameter on the board (except OSC slop which is a nice way of saying "detune yourself like an old, wonky board"). There is also a third envelope which can be assigned to these parameters. Finally, there is a 16-step sequencer which can be programmed and assigned to any valid parameter (I don't think the Moog has this).

The Prophet08 is a stunning board and, for the price, can't be beat by anything on the market for analog hawtness. I had mentioned earlier that I haven't coaxed a bass out of it that I love, yet. That's only because I've been spending 90% of my patch creation time doing pads and leads...

Get the Pro8. Considering just how n00bie your question was, you don't sound like the type of producer that needs an uber-niche instrument like the Moog, anyway.

the pro8 is a great piece of equipment and i am sure i will get it over the next 6 months, but i think a new moog rack for 1795, is a unbeatable deal, that i should pass up. and although the prophet has some great features for a analog synth like unison, patch stacking and a onboard sequencer, the moog has some pretty cool things as well, like the modular options, and its a moog.

Yay I get to quote myself.

Griffie:"...then it won't really matter either way. You'll probably buy the second one in the future anyway."

Back