i am trying to decide between the prophet 08 and the voyager moog???

man u must got deep pockets..them shyts iis super expenisive..u gotta have at least 2g's in ya pocket b4 u even think about copping a moog

moogcopp

now sir

both are very specialized instruments, and if you don't specifically have a hole that you want filled in your studio then you may not be satisfied with either. most high end machines are created not to be your main 'go to' synth, but to add an interesting dimension to your studio (whether that be workflow, tone, playability etc).

since you're looking at two completely different instruments like that, it sounds like you're asking the wrong questions.

instead of "which one is better" you should ask "what do i need to accomplish that i can't accomplish now". "Synth sounds" is not a viable answer, btw.

omg i hope i helped *pee*

Tadpole means he's a baby
as in baby frog.
As in newbie..
As in silly question only someone brand new would ask. As in another FP badly worded and open ended question where the person asking for help doesn't bother to supply enough information to help a likely responder help him.

What do you already own?
What style of music do you make?
What level of expertise are you going to apply to these tools?
[original patch design or surfing the presets]
Playing live (even from another main arranger or favorite board triggering this?)
If space is an issue- ever consider the Little Phatty?

The WHY seems like you need to read a whole thread of cats debating the strengths and weaknesses/pros and cons of each to help you decide. You also seem to not really care about the difference in tone between the two which really seems to be the deciding point.

Seeing that there is no Prophet 08 Rack- only desktop and keyboard- it would seem you didn't even bother to go to the manufacturers sites to research on your own first.

All that turned me off and I didn't have the patience to type all this before. I'm pleasantly suprised you actually purchased something and followed up. Nice. Well, good luck with Voyager RME. I'm loving it too and make sure you buy the librarian software. Although it ships with close to a 1,000 presets you will roll your own.

well i was hoping it would open a debate on the strengths and weakness' of the 2, but o well

heres to you questions:

What do you already own?
i own a waldorf pulse, virus c, xstation novation, elektron machinedrum,
What style of music do you make? techno but not just one area, everything from like the prodigy to aphex twin, to sorta popish, and also alot of jungle. and on occasion hiphop.
What level of expertise are you going to apply to these tools?
hmmm i dont really understand exactaly what you mean, but i use a digi 002 with protools, and i have been doing much as a hobby bordering on serious for about, 10-12 years, but no formal training.

and i acaully ordered the moog before the pic was posted just i thought it would be a funny comeback

oh and i did do research else where of course, i read both sites as well as harmony, and sweetwater reviews. just thought this would give me somemore info as well.

yeah and i am going to get the xv-352 kit with it as well to make it a pretty much simple modular synth!

Last edited:
Nice kit.
am going to get the xv-352 kit

You SOB! I have one on order too.
I am digging the FreqBox too.

Machinedrum. I keep hearing excellent things about it.
Are you making new drum sounds from scratch with it? I read somewhere that it was good for that.

Are you looking at the Lindrum II?

Not saying you'd need it, but are you keeping an eye at what else is coming?

well the xv-352 though is on back order till augest.

i can honestly say the machinedrum is my favorite piece of gear i own. its like a tr909 or 808, in that each sound u can edit like a synth, like the drum has 24 parameters u can change as does the snare, and the hihats, etc, also really cool effects. one thing i really like on it is you can have different things change on each hit. like you have a 4x4 beat, and you want the bass drums cutoff to go up by 20 on each, so the 1st hit its at 0 than 20 than 40 than 60 and so on. and theres nolimit what you can do with that, especially in electronic music.

yeah the linn2 is my next big purchase!

i cant wait till my moog arrives, i got a rack new for 1795!!!!!!

That's a piece I will explore at all costs. He said it's going to be different than an 808/909 so I'm wondering what it will sound like exactly.

Here's a tid bit...

I am intrigued about your thoughts on analog drum machines...?

Dave Smith: Well, since I am in the middle of designing one, my opinion would have to be that somebody needs to do something like that, and it may as well be me, because it will give a different sound than what everybody has been used to for the last 10 or 15 years.

How is that? How does the BoomChick become the LinnDrum, and how does that collaboration begin?

Dave Smith: Well, Roger and I have known each other for a very long time, and we have worked on some minor projects together. Doing something big, like a drum machine, is a huge project, so it’s a good one for us, and easier as a joint project than either one of us trying to do it alone.

The BoomChick was a temporary name, and after we got further into it, we decided that it would make more sense to call it a LinnDrum, because that’s kind of what it is. It’s coming along nicely; we hope to have it done later this year. A lot of people are waiting for it. I think they will be happy with the way it sounds.

Now, the rumor I have heard is that you’ve been able to shove some of the Poly Evolver in it, is that true?

Dave Smith: It’s similar; we have got four analog channels where you basically put in samples or whatever you want through the analog filters. I am borrowing from some of the tricks of the Evolvers, where you can do tuned feedback and synchronous delays, and then some other tricks to give it a little bit of a boost, because for people that have played the Evolvers, they know how it can do some really nasty and fun stuff as well as some nice, clean stuff. So just like I said earlier, it’s trying to provide some different sounds for people to play with.
_________
_________
Pretty cool.

Last edited:
i am sure it will be cool. but to be honest, i cant see how it can beat the machinedrum. though i know i will still buy it with that said.

Yopu have to accept this is FP. And once it drops there must be reviews from cats that haven't tried it and a million threads like.

"Should I get XXX or the Lindrum II?"
"Which is better...?"
"If you had $XXX, would you get XXX or XXX"
"Is the Lindrum II worth it?"

Your perspective is quite valid, but it WILL COME DOWN to feature lists. X can do X and not really how it sounds. I don't even think kids read the specs. I think they look at how long the list is and decide more is more better.

:) well, I'm happy that my honesty reactivated the thread!!
otherwise it would go to the bottom.

I supposed at the beggining that the tadpole would mean a newbie, but what really confused me was that the thread starter said that the answer was perfectly clear, and he made a important decision based on that. I took that literally, not as a sarcasm answer:o

I have around 17 synths, but I have been growing in a disordered way. I would love to trade those 17 synths, for 8 highly specialized synths.

Well the man has chosen....

I also own a voyager and I can only say its a fantastic piece of equipment.

The strangest thing is that when you first receive it you may be disaponted especially if you are used to polyphonic synths with vast complicated presets. With the voyager real satisfaction comes from tweaking your sounds and experimenting.

Bethata said:
yeah i love analog mono synths!!!!!!!!!!!!!

yeah there the best!!!!!!!!!!!

(completely missing the point of my post... The joke goes right over his head)

:)

Griffin Avid said:
Tadpole means he's a baby
as in baby frog.
As in newbie..
As in silly question only someone brand new would ask. As in another FP badly worded and open ended question where the person asking for help doesn't bother to supply enough information to help a likely responder help him.

i mean.... i was just posting a picture of a tadpole

but apparently my posts are rife with symbolism and i should get a pulitzer and be buried next to shakespeare

Last edited:
(back from abroad) Please leave nonsense pics away if you don't give a least an answer to the question. :rolleyes:

And in answer to the thread question: I'd say Prophet 08.
As a MOOG addict some people will be surprised hearing me saying that, but the Voyager has not the vintage MOOG sound, and it is pretty limited in features for a new synth. Compared to the Prophet 08, the latter has much more features and does at least equal the sound quality of the Voyager. Don't forget Dave Smith was the designer of some great vintage classics like the classic Prophet-series...
And also don't forget the Voyager is only monophonic, one of his worst features if you ask me (unless you have a lot of $$ and combine several Voyager racks)...
Cheers.

Last edited:
Back