How to learn everything and become...

ecsmix

A synth wizard...
I was wondering how the big guys started and how everybody interested nowadays can become a good synth programmer/sound designer, specially to electronic music.
Are there any good videos/books?
How several people can hear a noise and can tell what kind of effects,ocilators,filters,lfos used?
I think that fascinating and I was wondering how can I reach that knowledge?

eat your vegetables! (lol, that's what Spiderman would say..)

what Jackin_J said.

Don't worry about reading books or videos or such. I don't think any of us learned like that. What you need to do is to just get a synthesizer and an effects unit and start playing around. You practice enough, you'll be a wizard too. That's the way most people learn it.

One major (double) rule:

1° read read read !!!!
2° practice practice practice !!!!

A few more specific tips to learn more for free:

Read synth reviews all over the internet; you'll see that there are often different opinions about one and the same synth; learn their + and - , look at synth specifications to see evolutions and to see what are the bigger ones and the smaller.

Also learn about the universal basics of sound. And the basics of different sorts of synthesizing.

Read manuals !!!!! Not only the manual of a synth you own, but all manuals !!! I'm very serious when I tell you I've been reading the major part of synth manuals I found on .pdf on the web. Sometimes twice or more. I did even print out and read the manuals of most vintage top synth classics - Yamaha CS-80, nearly all vintage MOOG synths, ARP, ROland Jupiter-8 and Juno series, Korg MS-20, old modulars, etc... I hear you say "that's impossible; too much pages" - but I can tell you no, that's a wrong thought. Most classic manuals are very brief. The features are well explained and the basics of sound, each time in another way, but usually between *only* 20 and 50 pages (service manuals not included, but leave those latter, that's only electronical/technical stuff).
Read these before sleeping, in the bathroom, whenever you have some time.

Also there are a few very good books with very reliable info about (almost) every single analog synthesizer ever made; author is Peter Forrest - the title is "The A-Z of Analogue Synthesizers"and the book is in two parts: "A-M" and "N-Z". The books are in pocket formet but don't underestimate the source of knowledge they provide; this ís really an analog synth manufacturers & synth models encyclopaedia. No info about the universal basics of sound, but good descriptions about every synths, resumed features, some rumours, a very reliable quote for every synth, etc...
Other interesting books: "Vintage Synthesizers" by Mark Vail, "Analogue Days" may Trevor Pinch & Frank Trocco, etc...etc...

And as important: practice !!!! Don't expect to learn it all very fast; experience is the most important source of knowledge.
Do you have a friend who has one or more synths ? Ask to try them out. Do you have a music instruments dealer in your neighbourhood ? Ask him friendly to try out some synths or to see a demonstration.

And to finish I'd like to warn you: beware 'cause I can assure you the more I've been knowing about synths, the more synths I've had or tried, the bigger becomes that scary feeling that I don't know much yet... :bat:

ecsmix said:
A synth wizard...
I was wondering how the big guys started and how everybody interested nowadays can become a good synth programmer/sound designer, specially to electronic music.
Are there any good videos/books?
How several people can hear a noise and can tell what kind of effects,ocilators,filters,lfos used?
I think that fascinating and I was wondering how can I reach that knowledge?

It’s all about dedication, the wisdom of analogue programming and knowing your synth well.

I haven’t read any book, only tweaked with the drive of pure interest, and have now great control over making sounds, which I never thought I would have when I started.

The interest will get you there finally. If you have no basic interest, you will never get there. That’s about all there is to it -- and with life in general. :)

Thanks THM!!!...

Ima probly look up that book.

Im all about reading, music mags from UK and random books about producing AND music business.

DEAL!!! good advise

I have a friend that once told me - "When you're first getting into synthesis, by something with NO patch memory and learn on that. Then get whatever the hell you want, and you'll be fine".

I had the dough, so i copped an MS2k. But then i INITed the memory. Worked for me - since i am in the context of playing with other musicians, i'm pretty much forced to come up with usable patches as quickly as possible so the guitarists don't get bored.

You'll learn quickly when your guitarists start playing the mario theme out of boredom - believe me.

I didn't know english for the manuals, so I learn it with a dictionary.
I didn't know sound programming, so I learned it experimenting
I didn't know composition, so I learned it emulating other artists songs
I didn't know performing, so I practice during years modulations and keyboard performance

Aside from the obvious (experimentation, time, effort etc..), my advice is to learn all you can from presets. Many people scoff at them, but tons of time by some of the best sound designers in the biz have gone into some of todays' synths' presets, and you can do well to learn from their techniques by tweaking and reverse engineering presets.

Also, for all my experience with analog substractive synthesis, I will never consider myself a "master" of synthesis until I master FM synthesis and modular synthesis. A master of those is a TRUE synthmaster!

FM isn't too bad, just get a DX200 or a VST, a real DX7 or similar will just make things tougher

and modular is just like regular analog, you just have to connect the components together yourself. If you know subtractive, you should be able to do modular no problem

Kojak said:
FM isn't too bad, just get a DX200 or a VST, a real DX7 or similar will just make things tougher

and modular is just like regular analog, you just have to connect the components together yourself. If you know subtractive, you should be able to do modular no problem

Of course I can "do" them...I meant master them!

And of course, Real Men™ learn on a Polivoks. :D

polivoks_1.jpg

krushing said:
And of course, Real Men™ learn on a Polivoks. :D

polivoks_1.jpg

Ahh yes...blindfolded in a closet for 10 straight days with one of these; this is the trail of the synthmaster!

Back