Help tracking ASR 10 to Ableton Live

flagrant510

Need some help tracking ASR 10 tracks to ableton live 7. I wish i had and mpc. There's such a big knowledge base, but I'm stuck with the ASR...

I just want to make non-quantized organic gritty drum patterns on the ASR and seperate the instruments, as my kick snare will be on one track, and hi hats on percussion on their own. Some how I'll gotta figure out how to mute instruments on the same track if that's even possible, and get them on to seperate tracks on Ableton.

My ASR has broken right arrow button and my idiot brother dropped it and broke three of the last keys on the right. It has little ram and no SCSI port, which mean its near worthless, and almost unsellable for reasonable price, but functions perfectly besides that. I can still get some good use out of it as a swingless drum machine if one of you knowledgeable midi Senseis' can help me.

It seems I'm right smack in the middle of two generations. I'm 28, from Oakland. I remember being like 13 seeing ASR-10s, ADATs, vhs tapes that recorded audio? (wtf), 4 tracks that recorded to cassetes, and mo'phats when I used to rap. Sucka a$$ producers wouldn't never let me touch a key, let alone show me how to make a beat. By the time I started producing (I eclipsed all of the producers by the way), the workstations began to take over. Kids had all the sounds they wanted in the tritons, and motifs. Now it seem like the only people left (at least who I know of who can setup up hardware midi with computers) went to school, are pushing 40 (nothing wrong with age and experience), or engineer for a living. I even knew some twenty-something cats that spent 50K on studio, and were recording everything to a mono track. They didn't even understand the concept of mixing. Its easy to figure out producing, recording, and mixing with DAWs, but implementing external midi is tough for me.

Anyway, If anyone can help, or send me in the right direction that would be dope. I'd save me from having to hire an engineer $$$.

Thanks in advance (if someone helps me)
Peace.

I'm really proficient in Reason 4, and Logic Pro 8 if anyone has any questions. PM me.

Play out your drum on track 1 and then copy the drum kit to tracks two and three.
1. Erase the snare and other percussions track one leaving only the base kick.
2. Then you can erase the kick, cymbals and other percussion on track two.
3. Erase the kick and snare from track three.

You can solo each track, which would give you three run throughs to complete the track down for the drum beat. -or-

Save some cash and buy an OEX-6 output expander. With this, you can track out the drums from track one, and seperate each drum and cymbal on it's own output. Likewise with the others. Good luck.

heres an easier way. midi up ur asr 10 to ableton. ur gonna use ur asr as a sound module. it may even be to ur benefit to get an asr 10 rack and a midi controller so that u have all of ur functions again. but anyway just slave the asr 10 to ableton and do ur sequencing there and then when u r ready to track its just a matter of recording the audio to midi tracks

btw i feel ur pain man. I am 25 and when I was comin up everyone was using sp 1200s and asr 10s too Im from Seattle. when I got into the game the Tritons were the hot sh*t too but I couldn't afford one and now that I can software is the hot sh*t lol. None the less I am rockin out on my Trinity and my EPS classic and I have Reason have had it for years but theres nothing like the satisfaction of hardware tho I am slightly considering going back to all software

Back