Help spending money on Emu

mrmista

I hate spending money when I'm not completely informed on what I"m purpchasing, or at least when the price is 3 digits.

I plan on gettting 2 EMU sound modules (or keyboards?) and expanding the **** out of them. As of now I plan on getting,

first,

Proteus 2000- might get the Halo instead due to the existance of the Proteus Pop rom but then I won't get the free composer rom...help me out with that one...
(included) Composer rom (might this be the halo?)- I dont' even have the slightest idea waht's in this one
Protean Drums rom - and entire keyboard worth of drums? Something in it gotta be worth the money
Protozoa Rom - I read somewhere it was good, seeing as it holds the sounds tha tmade EMU Worldwide........right?

and Second,

Orbit << chose this over the mo'phatt because of the existance of the Pure'Phatt rom
Pure Phatt rom - I'm already aware of the mo'phatt, been in like 2 or 3 studios with one
X Lead V2 rom - I know it'll be like 99% synth......that's all I know
Beat Garden -.......clueless but I'm guessing I've chosen right?

I'm also getting a Triton Rack, which I alreayd now all the presets in already so I'm not worried about that. EMU Users help make a proper selection. And so that you'll make your explanations correctly, I'm not a Newbie producer so you give your Opinions in a Production Educated Mentality.

Help

I just Learned that the Beat Garden Rom is the soundset of the Orbit 3.

So,

can anyone tell me if any of the EMU Keyboards have onboard sequencers? Meaning if I can lay the track from within' the Keyboard. If not I'll just get Rack mounts, But if they can....

I chose the Halo, with
Pure Phatt Rom
X-Lead 2 V2 Rom
Beat Garden Rom

and

Proteus 2000 with
Composer Rom
Protozoa Rom
Protean Drums Rom

and

Triton Rack
dont' know anything about Triton expansions yet......different post

I'm definitely getting the Trtion Rack later on but I'm still shopping EMU. I'm asking Any Emu Users to help me make my selections correctly.

Your ROM choices are cool enough.

I'd probably consider getting a Command Station instead of a P2000 ... just mount it on a rack drawer.

mrmista said:
I just Learned that the Beat Garden Rom is the soundset of the Orbit 3.

So,

can anyone tell me if any of the EMU Keyboards have onboard sequencers? Meaning if I can lay the track from within' the Keyboard. If not I'll just get Rack mounts, But if they can....

I chose the Halo, with
Pure Phatt Rom
X-Lead 2 V2 Rom
Beat Garden Rom

and

Proteus 2000 with
Composer Rom
Protozoa Rom
Protean Drums Rom

and

Triton Rack
dont' know anything about Triton expansions yet......different post

I'm definitely getting the Trtion Rack later on but I'm still shopping EMU. I'm asking Any Emu Users to help me make my selections correctly.

I have the Halo kboard. I love it. It does not support sequencing though. That made me get the XL7, which is an OUTSTANDINGLY easy unit to operate (plus all the additional voices/features).

The soundset stock in the Halo is the Sounds of the ZR rom (QROM). I have also added into it the Vintage Keys, Pure Phatt, Proteus Pop ROMS. In the XL7 i added Beat Garden (Fantastic ROM with lots of cutting edge percussion sounds, as well as stabs, synths pads etc...well worth the money) and Orchestral sessions V1 (gonna dump it and try and score World Expedtion though). The stock XL7 soundset is hype and included beats/patterns are in my opion immediately producable. I use them heavily in a local boys/girls club to get things started.

I have been happy with EMU, their sound quality is up to par with what I needed and it was $1000s liess than Roland or others.

Taken from Vintage Synth website...see the Orbit 3, plus i played one at Guitar Center, and it does indeed have the same sounds as my Beat Garden ROM. Tricky to know exactly what EMU put in em, but thats the lowdown.

Current E-mu sound modules ship with one 32 MB sound-set each, but are expandable up to 128 MB via three additional slots for 32 MB expansion cards.

These cards include (ranging from $249 to $395):
9061: Siedlaczek Orchestra 32 MB ROM.
9062: Pure Phatt 32 MB ROM - standard in Mo'Phatt, MP-7 and MK-6.
9063: Beat Garden 32 MB ROM - standard in Orbit 3.
9082: Protozoa 16 MB ROM - standard in Proteus 1, 2, 3.
9083: Definitive B-3 32 MB ROM - standard in B-3.
9084: Techno Synth Construction Yard 32 MB ROM - standard in Orbit 3.
9085: Orchestral Session Vol. 1 32 MB ROM - standard in Virtuoso 2000.
9086: Orchestral Session Vol. 2 32 MB ROM - standard in Virtuoso 2000.
9087: World Expedition 32 MB ROM - standard in Planet Earth.
9088: Sounds of the ZR featuring the Perfect Piano 32 MB ROM - standard in Ensoniq Halo.
9089: X-Lead 32 MB ROM - standard in Xtreme Lead-1, XL-7 and XK-6.

I dont want to come off as being confrontational or anything....but why in the hell do you need THREE romplers? Why not get the triton rack, like you are planning to do, and then get a virtual analog synth like the Ion?

So far I've read about command modules and racks and this, that and the other.

I'm pretty much set on getting a Proteus 2000. I've never seen a module with 32 Midi channels before. You can do allot of damage with 32 channels. Also I have yet to see ANY negative feedback about Beat Garden. I've worked on countless mo'phatts so Pure Phatt is basically bought. My last choice for this module will be between the Protozoa, Protean Drums or X-Lead. I do all types of Hip Hop and R&B. From composing to sampling to remixing to whatever. Slow, Fast, Grimey/street, whatever. Which would explain why I need custom sounds.

And about that Triton Rack, I'm holding off on that because I'm getting a Fantom X6 and a Motif rack. Coupled with my Super P2k I'm straight.

What do ya'll think?

I dont think the keyboards have tracks on them per se but cant you trigger up to 16x32 count arp on them? i think it is called "SuperBEATs interactive Groove Mode (w/16 trigger buttons)" on the site.

if you want one with a sequencer why not pony up for the proteus 2500 instead of the 2000. the command stations are the same thing but the 2500 rack mounts much nicer.

if you buy 1 keyboard/module then a 2500 you get a full hardawre sequencer, the proteus rom set in the proteus and then 6 exapnsion slots between the two to add into. no need to buy 3 modules I dont thin unless uneed the 9 expansion slots for future expansion.

I would like ot know where you buying this gear though. From what I know EMU has stopped production on everything except its soundcards. I cant find new keyboard or gear of thiers anywhere on the net for new.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't go for the Halo!

these EMU romplers are terrible. I'll give you a good reason: the structure is terrible.

These synths have a plastic cover. But the keyboard is heavy-weighted. in fact, the keyboardx is really cool, very responsive, but its weight is supported in plastic.

My Halo collapsed several times after i bought it new. the problem was on the bolts of the rear panel, they crack very easily, so they made short circuit when they touched the internal circuits.

Also, the place where you install the ROMS, is too, too close of the bottom, so, if you don't place this synth in a proper way, the ROMS could make contact with the bottom, and... goodbye.

Don't waste your money on the synths. Just add $100 more and get the command station, and you'll have twice polyphony, a really cool sequencer, and a solid, robust product.

The command station is one of the coolest machines I ever touched. They are so intuitive for composition. You can edit, record, on step or realtime mode, go to the sentences of the track edition, go eveerywhere, at the same time, without pressing stop. And the processes are really fast.

I have the XL 7 and the MP 7, with three ROMS each of them. My fav rom is the Beat Garden. it has half of sounds of the XL 7 and MP 7 ROMS, but the quality and originality of the sounds is great.

OK...for a second there I was fixin to get real defensive, but your redemption came when you said you have the XL7.. <<evil grin>>.

Wonder why your Halo had so many problems? I been giggin for over a year and ahalf with it, no problems yet ((knock knock knock)).

The Roms, never seen that as an issue, the top of the ROM (leading edge that is) is all fiberboard crap, can't conduct voltage through that, and the plate that covers it is stout enough to make me curious just wht you would have to hit it with to get it to severely intrude on the compartment.

Oh well, each his own. Good post.

Anyway, I just gave my advice, in 10 years I have bought more than 15 keyboards, and these ones have the worst structure I've ever seen. These synths have a short life IMHO.

the command stations have the same software, but they are great machines.

just wondering,
does the command stations, have a mute track function, like assigned to the pads or something.

Speaking of the pads too, how are they? Do they have velocity on them, what I mean is like soft, med, hard...

When playing back patterns, you can mute individual tracks (1-16) with the trigger buttons. The pads are ok. I wouldnt get real slap happy with them, if you do a lot of after-touch pressure, you can actually feel the membranes themselves under the pads. They are velocity/pressure sensitive thoug.

I have a Halo with the Pop Rom, Vintage Rom and Project Rom expansions installed... absolutely killer... truly a "secret weapon" for the studio!

One thing, a previous poster said that the Beat Garden contains all the sounds from the Orbit 3; that is incorrect. The BG only has half the sounds of the Orbit 3. The Orbit 3 came stock with a second ROM chip which is the Techno Synth Construction Yard ROM.

Back