Help please... two midi notes with one key press

J Cutz

Wassup everyone.

Basically I'm having a problem in Reason that I never had before. I havn't changed my setup or anything but suddenly this problem started today.

When I press a key on my midi keyboard, instead of recording one midi note into Reason, two notes of the same pitch get recorded. One which is 1/16th note length, and one which is the length that I hold the key down for.

You'll probably need to know my setup so here it is...

I got a pc laptop running XP, with a Edirol UA25 hooked up via USB, MPD24 hooked with USB, and then a standard midi keyboard hooked up to the UA25 using a MIDI cable (MIDI OUT from keyboard to MIDI IN on the UA25).

In Reason the settings are all correct as far as I can see. Anyone got any ideas why its recording two notes instead of just one?

ps. When I hit the mpd pads it only records one note, so the problem only exists when I try to record midi data from the keyboard, but its worked correctly many times before.

I think its a bug with the mpd24

because the same happens to me from time to time and I use Logic express

What happens?

Cus in Reason, it LOOKS like everythings fine, but you can hear the second note interfering with the velocity or being slightly out of phase. Its only when I move the correct midi note away from where it should be, thats when I can see there is a 1/16th note hiding right below it.

Its really annoying. I'll try again later (cus I disconnect my equipment when I'm not working on music) and see if it was a one-off thing or a permanent problem.

Anyone had anything like this happen?

A lot of times this can happen if you have the midi out going to it too.
It's a loop, your keyboard sends reason one midi note, reason sends that note back out (as if it were outputing to a midi rack or such) and then your keyboard routes that note back into reason. Just turn the midi output on reason off (or to a device that isn't the device that you are using to input midi).

Interesting. Thanks for the reply.

I actually only have one midi cable between UA25 and midi keyboard, thats the MIDI OUT from keyboard to the MIDI IN of the UA25.

Is it possible that after the midi data gets sent through to Reason it gets sent to the MPD and returns as if I tapped the pad? Similar to what you suggested, but instead of sending it back to the keyboard, it goes out to the MPD.

I'll try turning the MIDI output off in Reason and report back tomorrow. Hopefully it will work.

That's a possibility. Reason would send to whatever midi device the output is assigned to.

So I set my stuff up again today, and I'm still having the same problem.

I tried looking on how to turn off MIDI OUT in Reason, but I can't seem to find it... can you point me in the right direction?

Ok so I tried it this morning without connecting my mpd at all, and I still get the same problem.

There's no midi out going to the keyboard, so I think it might be something else.

This is really stopping me from working on music :(

A lot of times this can happen if you have the midi out going to it too.
It's a loop, your keyboard sends reason one midi note, reason sends that note back out (as if it were outputing to a midi rack or such) and then your keyboard routes that note back into reason. Just turn the midi output on reason off (or to a device that isn't the device that you are using to input midi).

That is a good answer as it is a common problem but I think you have forgotten that Reason can not send MIDI out.

Apart from your keyboard being hooked up with both USB and a MIDI cable at the same time, the different note lengths make it sound like you are playing through some kind of garbage on board MIDI sh!t, go to...Start>Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices>Audio>MIDI Music Playback...and make sure you don't have some Crapola as the default.

Apart from your keyboard being hooked up with both USB and a MIDI cable at the same time, the different note lengths make it sound like you are playing through some kind of garbage on board MIDI sh!t, go to...Start>Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices>Audio>MIDI Music Playback...and make sure you don't have some Crapola as the default.

Thanks for the reply, but I don't have the keyboard hooked up with both MIDI and USB at the same time. The keyboard has only one cable coming from it:

keyboard MIDI OUT ----> UA25 MIDI IN

Then the UA25 is hooked up to the laptop by USB.

We can ignore any other controller's because I've narrowed the problem down to just this keyboard... BUT I know it worked properly previously.

Its a really basic keyboard, Acoustic Solutions MK-928.

Also the settings in Control Panel are correct as far as I can tell, the MIDI music playback option is set to EDIROL UA25. That's correct, right?

Last edited:
Ok so it's a cheap consumer keyboard that could be doing all kinds of strange sh!t depending on how it is set up to work.

The first thing you should check is if it is using some kind of accompaniment feature to send more MIDI than you want....at the top of your reason rack there is a light for each MIDI channel when you hit a key how many lights do you see?

I agree that the problem could be the keyboard, but I want to eliminate any other options before thinking about buying a new one.

I've checked on the keyboard all the switches about accompaniments/touch sensitivity/rhythm and so on but everything seems to be fine.

I can't seem to find the lights that you're talking about in Reason. I'm looking at the main Hardware Device right at the top of the rack, and I've opened up the Adv. Midi Device and More Audio sections so I can see everything there. When I press a key on the keyboard the only thing that lights up are the monitoring levels for the stereo audio out (this is when I've loaded up a piano sample in nnxt).

Nothing in the Advanced Midi Device section lights up. Btw Midi Focus and Play Focus are both on in this section, but I've never messed with these.

Each channel should have a MIDI activity light, if you are only sending MIDI on channel 1 then that should be the only light that comes on, but if you are sending MIDI on 2 channels at the same time you should see 2 of the 16 lights come on.

Back