Help me choose my new synths

combat medic

I'll be building a new set-up in the next couple of months and I need some help with selecting my hardware synths or synth. My overall budget for this operation is about $6500 with about $1500 allocated for hardware synths. The rest is tied up in other things like a new audio interface, computer, and blah blah blah. Do not suggest VSTs since I have Komplete 8 and others already. I've never enjoyed working solely with software and I refuse to do so. I find that playing around with a keyboard helps to inspire me and that it can often provide that one missing piece to a track. I'm not dead set on any style be it analog, VA, Rompler or whatever, but I was thinking of buying an analog and a VA. My concerns are that it sounds great, allows me to craft my own presets, and is high quality. Please don't suggest anything vintage because I do not feel like opening that pandora's box. Also, I'm leaning towards desktop modules since space will be a slight issue but I'm open to ideas.

Here is my list thus far. It would be great if you could pick 2 items that would add up roughly the amount of $1500.

Moog Slim Phatty $800
Access Virus T1 snow $1250
Waldorf Blofeld $700
MicroKorg XL $500
Moog Minitaur $600
Novation Ultranova $700
Dave Smith Mopho desktop $400
Dave Smith Tetra $850
Nord Lead 2x Rack sound module $1099
Novation Mininova $500

I'd like to get an analog and a VA to be able to open up my options a little bit. If your selection goes over the $1500 by a little, it's no big deal. If you feel my list is missing something, feel free to mention it. BTW, I make hip hop beats and some "cinematic" type of tracks so my choice should compliment those styles. Sorry for the long post, thanks in advance.

LOL, you guys aren't trying to save me any money. That's to be expected since you can't really put a price on quality. I was probably going to buy the phatty anyway but if you had to make another choice besides the tetra, what would it be? Why? Is everything else on that list complete garbage in your opinion? Perhaps another important question would be, Which synth or synths on this list would you NOT consider buying? Sorry to bother you with so many questions but it's important that I get this thing right.

In the same boat

I'm in the same boat my friend! I got $1,400 to spend on new hardware sounds.

I'm not a huge fan of VST's also. I love plugins for effects and mastering but not for instruments.

From your list I would go, Virus TI Snow, and the Mopho. Personally, I'm a preset hound so I'm going with a MO6 and Snow combo.

I saw a Virus TI Snow go for $810 on ebay the other day. I was in church and shut off my phone and got outbidded. Damn...

Hello, I haven't posted in a few years here, but I do remember you krushing. anyways back on subject, I honestly would say spend the extra cash and go for a tetra and the virus ti snow (I own a first gen virus ti). I watched a few reviews about the slim phatty and was not impressed except for the deep bass sounds which are pretty cool and yes it's a flashy looking synth, but you can get more analogue sound with the tetra. I'm actually looking into getting one myself. just to let you know you can't go cheap on synths if you want quality. you can go cheap on a computer (pc) but please don't go cheap on an interface (this is where people mess up on most). I hope this helps.

you judgement of the phatty from reviews is way off bass...lol. its a great synth for kind of cheap for what it is. Phatty does stuff a Tetra cant. same is true in reverse. that is one of the reasons they are the perfect match. there are no synths on your list i wouldnt buy in the right setting. except maybe the microkorg. they are pretty boring to me esp at that price. I still have one but havent used it in years.

you judgement of the phatty from reviews is way off bass...lol. its a great synth for kind of cheap for what it is. Phatty does stuff a Tetra cant. same is true in reverse. that is one of the reasons they are the perfect match. there are no synths on your list i wouldnt buy in the right setting. except maybe the microkorg. they are pretty boring to me esp at that price. I still have one but havent used it in years.
LOL who are you talking to? please reply in quote next time, thanks

---------- Post added at 03:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:25 PM ----------

ultra auris- I did have a mocro korg though and It was a cool little synth.
combat medic- i would recommend doing research on the moog little phatty as well, she sounds sooooo good.

Thanks for all of the feedback. The biggest stumbling block to my decision is the fact that I am currently in a very remote corner of the Earth where the internet is limited and the nearest place for me to actually try these synths may as well be on Jupiter. Watching Youtube videos is nearly impossible. When I get back state-side, I'll be buying everything I need in one weekend. For now, I have to rely on research and other people's experience. I was thinking of buying the Ultranova and either the Phatty or the Tetra. The Ultranova was an attractive option because it gave me the virtual analog to play with and also spared me from having to buy a new midi controller (I was planning on buying the Impulse 61). My budget is a little flexible but I'd like to save money where I can to spend on other things like an interface. I've read good things about the Ultranova....what do you think?

I've read good things about the Ultranova....what do you think?
Im intrested in that synth as well, and lookin for some opinions.. do You know if it's possible to initialize patch in it and make sounds from scratch? I dont want to just using presets.

Im intrested in that synth as well, and lookin for some opinions.. do You know if it's possible to initialize patch in it and make sounds from scratch? I dont want to just using presets.

Yes, it is my understanding that you can create your own sounds using the ultranova.

Back