Hardware synths record as audio or midi

razzy

Hello, I'm a bit new to this but I've been wondering.

Say I connected a Dave Smith Prophet 08 or a Roland Juno Stage to Logic and recorded the Prophet/Juno sounds in Logic, would this be recorded as audio??

I gather that I could also use it as midi to play the ES2 and the other soft-synths in Logic??

The Twearheadz article was very informative, I have come across it before.

I have never played one of the synths or had to change midi channels, at the moment it is kind of like learning about but not having first hand experience of it,

If I connected the Prophet to an audio interface and recorded surely this will create a digital audio file?

YES record audio not MIDI. If you record MIDI you will have no sound just data, you'd have to patch the midi you recorded to a VSTi

Thanks, thats sorted that one (phew). I know that audio and midi and completely different, its just that I see these synths and think if I recorded through them, it will be audio, though surely they can act as a midi keyboard to utilize soft synths within a sequencer, which would then be midi.

Record audio not midi, fully understand that. So using the Prophet (solely using its onboard effects etc) connecting to an audio interface and recording will record AUDIO.

Though if I wanted to control a VSTi/Softsynth I would patch/assign (whatever you have to do) to a softsynth and then record midi data, to trigger the softsynths.? Is that the way?

Last edited:
MIDI data is a bit like sheet music for machines, the machines use it to read/play and record/write notes but not audio.

Even when you record a VST instrument by playing your MIDI controller you are only recording MIDI data and not the audio, the same goes for when the data from the track you recorded is playing the VSTI.

Although you can hear the audio from the VSTI the audio only gets recorded when you export or freeze making a ghost audio track that is hidden from you. (if you understand this you can understand why a mix can sound a bit different after rendering)

If you use hardware you use MIDI the same way as with a VSTi, but you have to get the audio into the computer by setting up an audio track and by recording the audio manually.

You can use the Juno's keyboard to record a MIDI track, then use that MIDI track to play a VSTI or to play the Juno or Prophet (but to get the hardware's audio on your finished mix you will have to record an audio track while the MIDI track plays the hardware)

Last edited:
Back