Good Deal or Cheap Thrill

• Thread starter State of Compression
  • Start date
S

State of Compression

Whats up fellas? I have been using FP for a while now to get insight on whats going on in the producing scene, and to get scoop on eq and etc. I finally decided it would probably be a good idea to join. All that aside.

1. Been producing for about 3 years now strictly with just a computer. Use FL, Reason, and Cubase (somewhat), and VSTS.

2. I bought an axiom 25 a month ago, to get into more technical stuff with producing, but did not satisfy my needs. I am into alot of Electro Ed Banger stuff, as well house trance and what not. Check out my work on my space (i cant post the link cuz they wont let me but the URL is zonegrouppanic) all that has just been created with a computer and VST's.

3. I have been looking around into getting a synth so i can use the patches it has (as well as tweak them) so i get more diverse sounds and make my producing a little more faster than trying to do everything with a computer keyboard. Bottom line is i found a deal for a Korg Microx and an Alesis Micron for $600 for both. They are used and in emaculate condition. I was thinking using one for its sounds while i can use the other as a Midi Controller, and them switch them off. I want to be able to start making beats more on the fly than ****ing around with piano roll and then having to quantatie my stuff.

You guys think it would be smart of me to scoop these two up for the style of music i am trying to make? Or is it to many synths to try to learn together, and i would be better off just saving up and getting a way stronger synth in the long run. I am still going to have to by an interface to make my setup complete, and which interface would you guys recommend?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, specially those with insightful knowledge and not smart ass comments.

SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ON SOME ADVICE I NEED TO DECIDE ON THIS BY TOMM MORNING AND IF I DONT THEN ILL MISS OUT ON THESE TWO SYNTHS. is it a good deal or should i save up more than 600 and try to get one solid synth such as a nord or anything else?

Last edited by a moderator:
600 dollars for both the micron and micro x? that's a pretty good deal, dude. i'd jump on that providing they're both operational.

you're really not going to know what setup works for you specifically until you just take the plunge, and in this case i think you've got a good deal. if you don't like one or both you can turn around and ebay them, make some cash.

what kind of budget do you have interface wise? are you interested in purchasing more synths/drum machines/samplers in the near future? will you be wanting firewire, USB, PCI or what? need a mic pre? all of these will help us help you with an interface.

Maybe later a sampler or drum machine. I want somethign also to hook up mics and guitars possibly. Cash wise prob something under 300 or so. As for Usb, or Fire wire which ever would probably work better and reduce latency. I have a pretty new hp desktop with vista if that thelps.

$600 for both? That's not all too bad.

I think that's not a bad combo it terms of compact boards. Micron great for VA type synth and the Micro-x if my memory serves me correct is basically a Triton, which covers all your bread n butter sounds...

You sure it's the micro-x and not the microkorg? If it's the prior, definitely great buy, go for it!

yeah it is the microx i dont like the micro i cant deal with the tiny ass keys. Thanks for the reasurance. any Suggestions on interfaces?

State of Compression said:
yeah it is the microx i dont like the micro i cant deal with the tiny ass keys. Thanks for the reasurance. any Suggestions on interfaces?

Anything E-MU "m" series (1212m, 1616m).
I have had a 1616m and now own a 1820m.
Google around for reviews. They´re great bang for the buck.

At the time I purchased, a considered a Lexicon Omega and M-Audio´s 1614 (not sure now about this model number).

About the synths, I do not think that is a very good deal.
Useds microns sell bellow 300usd. They are THE BEST you can get with that price tag. I mean, they´re MONSTRUOUS!!! I´ve owned one... but have since gotten the GAS... and ended up buying older stuff like QM Polymorph, Akai VX600 and the likes (lot´s of late 80´s/early 90´s stuff).

Personally, I´m not at all fond of the micro-x. What is it I mean?! I do not get where it fits. And it is definitely highly priced for the specs.

Anyway, if you´re set to close that deal, I´m thinking more like 500usd would be the way to go.

Cheers and good luck on deciding :)

p.s.: have you considered older stuff like novation kstation - since you mention trance... - or nord modular keys - well... this one suits EVERYTHING...? they should get you enough sounds and capabilities to play with (endless ones with the nord, btw)
With luck, I guess you could find a kstation for around 300-400usd, and a nord mod keys for 500-600.

Last edited:
Back