Formant Synthesizer

stu.macQ

Hi ...

Does anyone know of a softsynth that can produce authentic "vocal" effects with glide from one vowel to another via an envelope (not an LFO)?

For example:

If I have 2 vowels (an "A" and an "E"), and I gradually change between them over time, I get:

"AAAaaaeeeEEEeee" ... okay, you understand right?

If I put an LFO on the vowel, it sounds like this:

"AAAaaaeeeEEEeeeaaaAAAaaaeeeEEEeeeaaaAAAaaa ..." etc.

If a note is triggered (regardless of its timing), the formant will always be relative to the LFO's position. This is NOT what I want. I want to have the formant controlled by an envelope, such that I can glide from one vowel to another on EVERY triggered note.

The effect I'm looking for is demonstrated in the following clip (taken from Ginuwine's "Pony", which probably used a Talkbox instead of a formant synthesizer! :rolleyes: )

<A HREF="http://members.shaw.ca/stu.macQ/ginuwine.mp3">(Click Here!)</A>

Does anyone know how to achieve this effect?

Thanks,

(stu.macQ)

hello.
i don't know about softsynths, but i do know that em-u samplers (and maybe other em-u gear) have nice vocal filters, which sweep nicely thru the vowels. I think they call them morphing filters. These would give you the control you are after, and can be assigned to envelopes.
This probably is not very helpful if you don't have an em-u sampler!
:rolleyes:
strigg

theres a couple available,

look for jerome shmidtts vst pack, it has a plug in called humanizer that allows you to modulate between 2 vowels like an LFO.

there is something i found on the web that is really good but its not commercially available you can see movies and pictures of it here! the mouthesizer!

http://www.mis.atr.co.jp/~mlyons/mouthesizer.html

ive heard the yamaha FS1r can do this kind of thing and also the korg trinity has an effect for vowels but it cant modulate between them which is a bummer

after reading you post closer i understand you want to control the vowel shifting smoothly by using an envelope.... i have been searching extensively for the past few months and cant find anything really available.

also.. reaktor 3 has a similar vowel thing.

fluxtah

Last edited:
Back