Finally got my JP8080

Jackin_J

Analog synth addict
After 2 years of waiting and looking I finally found an overpriced but perfect conditioned JP8080. I was playing with it the last 2 hours and its an impressive Synth. Cant wait to make my own patches. And the appegiator is almost better than on my Waldorf Q. I will be happy for a while :) Anyone have any tipps and tricks for this baby??

great choice!!!!!! CONGRATS.

there are things undiscovered on the JP8080. Never think about this synth as an overused synth. It still rockin'

Jackin_J said:
After 2 years of waiting and looking I finally found an overpriced but perfect conditioned JP8080. I was playing with it the last 2 hours and its an impressive Synth. Cant wait to make my own patches. And the appegiator is almost better than on my Waldorf Q. I will be happy for a while :) Anyone have any tipps and tricks for this baby??

Good buy!

As far as tips; the JP has a lot of uncharted territory, especially with the feedback wave, which everyone has seemed to ignore. If you mess with it just right, you can actually get it to sound like an eletric guitar but much better! Another uncharted space is its very unique voice modulator, which no synth to my knowledge has yet to copy. Another tip; if you use the supersaw wave but instead of spreading the saws out you scrunch them really tight, it creates a whole new soundform which sounds really aggressive and distorted.

Anywayz, have fun with it man and be sure to be original (although from time to time I have to use a good ole Supersaw I must admit)!

Jp8000

I've had my JP8000 a long time now and it has taken a back seat in my musical endeavors. Reading your message and the replies has brought this instrument back to the fore ground. Time to start editing and creating sounds and stop play samples and presets.

Hey Boys!

Aye, i'm joining the JP-8xxx clan too! My JP-8000 should be arriving tomorow or Monday...i can't wait :D

lanlan said:
Hey Boys!

Aye, i'm joining the JP-8xxx clan too! My JP-8000 should be arriving tomorow or Monday...i can't wait :D

Just wait till you see what sounds this thing is capable of. I was actually more impressed by the JP than my Minimoog at first. In any case they are not comparable. You are going to have some real fun :-)

Congratz Jackin J !!!
Try to find the old supersaw contest thread; there you will find already a few great supersaw patches (and their exact settings).
Have fun - as you know my JP-8080 is still my favourite VA synth !!! And I have my JP already 7-8 years (!!).

THM said:
Congratz Jackin J !!!
Try to find the old supersaw contest thread; there you will find already a few great supersaw patches (and their exact settings).
Have fun - as you know my JP-8080 is still my favourite VA synth !!! And I have my JP already 7-8 years (!!).

Thanks THM i will look into that. I know its your favorite VA your insights were the reason i looked into this synth and I must say I am loving it. I am amazed at what sounds i am generating with this baby :victory:

And I dare to say that most JP factory presets are pretty poor. You can get a lot more out of this machine than the presets represent...

And you can also get a lot more out of this babe than only supersaw sounds...
And that's a common mistaken of many synth players about the JP - many of them think that you can only play supersaw stuff with it...

I have e.g. created a few pretty great Yamaha CS-80-alike sounds.

Last edited:
balma said:
great choice!!!!!! CONGRATS.

there are things undiscovered on the JP8080. Never think about this synth as an overused synth. It still rockin'

Well, if you take away the supersaw and overdrive, it’s a rather restrictive synth with an old VA-technology and a sound which is not far away from the better softsynths these days. AND the supersaw sounds starts to get too cliché in trance now.

I have a JP-8000, but it rests against the wall here packed in plastic--full of dust. And it has been standing there since I got tired of producing trance with heavy supersaw. My Nord Lead 2 took over its place in the synth-pod and punches much greater warmt and sound quality.

But for a hardware first-timer, or someone who wants to breed further life into cliché trance, it’s a great choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
cubbyhouse said:
Well, if you take away the supersaw and overdrive, it’s a rather restrictive synth with an old VA-technology and a sound which is not far away from the better softsynths these days. AND the supersaw sounds starts to get too cliché in trance now.

I have a JP-8000, but it rests against the wall here packed in plastic--full of dust. And it has been standing there since I got tired of producing trance with heavy supersaw. My Nord Lead 2 took over its place in the synth-pod and punches much greater warmt and sound quality.

But for a hardware first-timer, or someone who wants to breed further life into cliché trance, it’s a great choice.

Buuuulll****

cubbyhouse said:

Its all a matter of taste. Hardware or music styles. I personally think trance is the cheapest and most boring music on the market today....I would never use it for that kind of music. I was making some new patches yesterday evening and i found the sounds it generates do be very unique. Concerning the Nord (which i have used) i found the sounds to be rather thin for my taste. In any case its all a matter of taste. For very thick sounds i prefer my minimoog.

Jackin_J said:
Its all a matter of taste. Hardware or music styles. I personally think trance is the cheapest and most boring music on the market today....
I totally agree :D

What sounds thin to one user's ears might sound like a million dollar to another.. I also believe it all depends on how much time you spend to get to know the piece of gear you have,
cause when you really know what it's capable of, then the magic starts happenin! :monkey:

Jackin_J said:
Its all a matter of taste. Hardware or music styles. I personally think trance is the cheapest and most boring music on the market today....I would never use it for that kind of music. I was making some new patches yesterday evening and i found the sounds it generates do be very unique. Concerning the Nord (which i have used) i found the sounds to be rather thin for my taste. In any case its all a matter of taste. For very thick sounds i prefer my minimoog.

Here we go with the obligatory trance-bashing....:)

Dont worry. When i have time to figure out everything i am sure i will have enough questions to ask :cheers:

w00t! I got the board Monday and have been busy toying with it. Thing rocks don't care what peeps say.

My fav JP8080 feature> line inputs to synthesize external sounds with the JP8080's engine. This VA is endless, thanx to that feature

Back