Early 90's techno synths?

I

I_watch_stars

Ok, I am familiar with all post 95 ish popular synths, after the wave of VSTs and VAs began (and new analogs), and I am familiar with most of the popular synths for producers in the 80's, but what synths did techno/dance producers in the early 90's use? I'm talking about Dance 2 Trance, 2 Unlimited, C&C Dance Factory, people like that. This was just after the DX7 wave started fizzling out, but the wave of new synths had yet to begin...

Well, I'll start off with saying:

Roland TB-303 Synth
Roland TR-808 Drum Machine
Roland TR-909 Drum Machine
Roland SH-101 Synth
Roland Juno-X

I'm a bit drunk right now, so for some reason, I'm only thinking Roland. lol

:hello:

Juno X? I've never heard of that. I googled it and nothing came up. Do you mean the Juno 106?

I think he meant the (old) Juno series as a whole (6, 60, 106). Also, I'm pretty sure the DX7 and it's siblings slipped in there as well...

the early techno sound has LOTS of dx7 in it.

I mean, that FM minor chord is the most remarkable signature sound I can think of.

Maybe you could say hybrid digital/subtractive synths like the D-10/50 and the korg M1,01/W were cool, because those were the newer ones coming out in the late 80s. Also, the first lo-fi samplers come to mind as an influence on that sound. Later on, the JV-90 was widely used too.

Thanks for the replies! I'm trying to figure out my next synth...

Golden age of the Ensoniq Label:

Great workstations like the TS10 and TS12 were on the streets.

My first synthesizer: Ensoniq ESQ 1, 1993....

I feel so old

Thanks for the replies again...I searched for Juno 106 on ebay and I couldnt believe how cheap they are! People are giving them away it seems. Same thing with all of Yamaha's FM synths.

Just for the hell of it (and to try out the new attachment thing) here is a sample of what music I'm talkin about. I was rocking to this cassette in my boom box when I was 10! Ahhh memories....:)

Kojak said:
can't forget the JP-8000, it defined late 90's dance

Naw man; EARLY 90's dance! Totally different. Listen to the sample man!! :victory:

balma said:
with a PG 300 controller.
You took the words right out of my mouth... :cheers:
I forgot to mention it, the PG-300 is not obligatory for a fully working Alpha-Juno, but it eases the editing A LOT (even a very lot) !!!!

This is gold... I was wondering this already. And if they cheap right now, Id probly pick up something like one of these to learn some olda FM stuff ...

CHeers!

technohead1992 said:
4 letters 4 the answer.

j u n o

I take it by your name that you fell in love with early 90's techno too lol! :)

technohead1992 said:
4 letters 4 the answer.

j u n o

You missed 5 more letters:

a l p h a

:angel:

Roland Alpha-Juno (1 or 2 or MKS-50 rack) is really the synth to have for early 90ies techno.

Last edited:
Back