differents between XV5050 and XV5080??

E

Entee

Are the quality differences in samples and effects GREAT? cause the price most definetly is.

And also ive heard that roland dosent make these anymore? what that all about? where can i purchase these in london? Turnkey.co.uk only seems to have xv2020.

The XV-5080, and XV-5050 have both been replaced by the Fantom-XR.

The 5050 has more sounds than the 5080. It has all the patches from the 5080, plus the ones in the 3080, plus some of the sounds from the original Fantom FA-76.
The effects and patches are identical between the FA-76 which is equivalent to the 5080 except that the FA-76, 5050, and 3080 have a better reverb.

The 5080 uses 44.1Khz d/a converters, where everything else has 32Khz converters.

The only benefit the 5080 really has(IMHO) is the sampling features, which aren't that great, if you have a decent audio sequencer, like Sonar or Logic. It's easier to record to a track, trim it, normalize, chop, what ever then add all the effects & automation you want. Copy and paste it where you want, if you don't have a virtual sampler.

My 5080 has all the 5050/Fantom patches/performances + 8 EXP Slots Maxed + over 4000 custom banks + the lovely LCD Display + Those Dedicated Buttons + Smart Media Storage + Akai Support + Kick Azz Converters + I think I've stated enough why it's much better than the XV5050(IMHO)...

The Fantom XR has some nice features, but it didn't really WOW me in the sound department, which is more important... Roland did improve the acoustic samples and added some nice filters to shape/morph the sound, which was cool...

The effects and patches are identical between the FA-76 which is equivalent to the 5080 except that the FA-76, 5050, and 3080 have a better reverb.

Who told you that lie, the XV5080 effects kicks them all in the teeth!!!

Last edited:
Napalm, do you know how to read??
nobody asked which was better. the question was "is there a big difference in sound quality" the correct answer is they are the same sounds, except for the D/A conversion. Also, the 5050 came from roland with all the patches from the 5080, the 3080, and a selection of sounds from the FA-76(it says so in the brouchure).
The 3080, 5050, XV88, and all the Fantoms are the same, except for packaging. All the effects are the same, except the 5080 uses the reverb ported over from the JV synths. The 3080, and every other XV after it, including the 2020 uses the algorithm from rolands SSR rack mount studio reverb.

you do understand they are all basically the same don't you??

Yeah I can read smart fella and clearly understand the topic at hand... The XV5050, XV3080, XV88, & Original Fantom are inferior in all aspects to the XV5080... Many others, including myself, considers the 5080 to be Roland's best sounding & complete synthesizer... All others are stripped down versions in sound converters, DSP Power, and rehashed features!!!

And you're still wrong about the Reverb, the XV5080 also contains derived effect algorithms from SRV-3030, V-Studios, RSS, and COSM(Which is also found in 5050/Fantom, but not XV88/3080)

I was basically stating that the XV5080 is clearly the better choice FROM EXPERIENCE, and not by reading a brochure... Plus you could download all of the 5050/Fantom Patches for free...

OK, NaPalm, you're right, and I'm wrong.

XV5050

AGAIN

Or maybe you weren't

regardless about the Reverb. Other than that, they are the same, use the same waveforms, the same waveforms, and the same patches. But how they sound, I dont't think there is that big of a difference. I own the 5050, so maybe that is why I think that way. I also own a Fantom, and
think the 5050, and Fantom-S both sound very good, and I can't imagine
anything sounding much better.

Last edited:
Napalm said:

I was basically stating that the XV5080 is clearly the better choice FROM EXPERIENCE, and not by reading a brochure... Plus you could download all of the 5050/Fantom Patches for free...

How can you say the 5080 is CLEARLY[/] the best choice, when dude hasn't even said what he needs it for?? He may not need 128notes of poly, he may not need a Sampler, he may not need any of the effects. He might just want one or the other for the built in drum kit, which are the same in both units. So IMHO paying less for the same kits is clearly the better choice.

hmm...
I guess the best thing is for me is to try them both out.

I appreciate the replys though, it was helpful.

Iam i ritgh to assume that "The XV-5080, and XV-5050 have both been replaced by the Fantom-XR"?? or is this just an opinion?

and where (URL) can i go to listen to samples from these synthesizers?

thanks again.

Last edited by a moderator:
thunderkyss, the XV5080 is complete... He would have all of the effects, enough dsp power to handle his inserts in performance mode + polyphony, more than enough expansion slots, the better converters, Akai sample playback to mix in custom samples, better hands-on editing capabilities, a zillion audio output configurations, 32 part multitimbral, etc... This is why you are paying more, I never stated the Wave ROM was different... Maybe you cannot read!!!

LOL, then you supply not 1, but 2 links to the XV5050 review, how clever... Didin't prove a thing other than repeating the advantages of having the XV5080 over it's trimmed down siblings...

Like I've stated before, I know from experience of having the XV5050, Fantom XR, and now still the undisputed champ XV5080...

Entee, unfortunately we cannot decide for you, but I wanted to make clear of why the XV5080 was more expensive over the others... It was once Roland's Flagship Synth Product and personally I feel it still is...

I would suggest you travel down to your local music retailer and audition the XV5050 & Fantom XR... Online demos does not accurately represent the true sound quality...

But if you insist, visit http://www.rolandus.com/index.asp

Plenty of product info & demos there...

Good luck!!

Last edited:
Which one is better as far as a synth? Like without sampling. Which one produces the better sound when you are trying to make your own sounds?

Entee said:
Are the quality differences in samples and effects GREAT? cause the price most definetly is.

And also ive heard that roland dosent make these anymore? what that all about? where can i purchase these in london? Turnkey.co.uk only seems to have xv2020.

OK class, can someone find in the above quote, where Entee, asks which of the units is better.....

Anyone................Anyone........

Can anyone see where Entee asks if the quality of the samples & Effects are different In quality??
Good.

Now class can we see(understand) what thunderkyss means when he says they are the same??? The samples in the 5080, and the 5050 are the same...........do we see this?? Do we see Where he admits he was wrong, and says the Reverb is in fact the same??? Do we see where the ThunderKyss says the only difference(as a sound module) between the two, is that one plays back at 32Khz, and the other plays back at 44.1Khz??? Does that make the sound and effects better on the 5080?? What if you took the signal from the digital out, into your computer/digital mixer??

Can we agree that if the sounds of both units are generated from the same sampled Waveform, in the same synth engine, with the same effects, that one cannot be better than the other??
Even if you can here the difference, how great of a difference can it be??
Did everyone see in the Keyboard review, where the reviewer said the 5050 was punchier to his ears??

Do I need to read this again for everyone???
Napalm????

WHATEVER!!!

<u><b>Read the Topic Title Again</b></u>:

*Difference between XV5050 and XV5080?

Roland have been rehashing their ROM since the JV series, but each synth all carry a distinct sound through their converters...

Better converters, produces better sound, and you could ask any experienced user to back this up...

The XV5080 is clearly better in all categories, regardless if the others are rehashaed with same Wave ROM!!!

Regarding your digital output comment: I could clock either 44K or 48K with my 5080...

So, again, I'll reiterate for the last time: "The XV5050 is a weakling in comparison, regardless of what you read & fail to realize"

Yeah it may sound crisp, but where is the character & lowend?

All Roland did was resampled the ROM, using more effects, at a very hot signal, but everything else was downgraded... If you compare the 2, which apparently you haven't, you'll notice that 5050 almost sounds distorted...

Listen, I've never stated the XV5050 wasn't a good buy, especially for a Preset Box, but advanced users would always choose the 5080 over it, myself included...

I probably went overboard anyway, this guy seems to be a noob/beginner, so maybe the XV5050 or even Fantom XR(If his budget permits) is most likely a safe buy...

Funny thread. I've "heard" all three in person. The 5050, 5080, and fantom xr. As far as stock sounds go.... I liked the fantom xr the most. It had the "thickest" sound IMO. I really don't care about all the extra bells and whistles. This is why I'm buying a fantom xr rack next month. I probably wouldn't even use the extra stuff since I'm used to my waves bundle.

ok...... im going to throw a monkey wrench in this.

as far as SOOUNDS- PATCHES go.

i was so sold on the xv 5080/5050 hype and i was quite close to purchasing one of them because of it.

i had both the xp 30 and xp 80, which i was quite happy with but wanted (needed) to upgrade them. i spent about a week at sam ash demo'ing the 5050,5080, and Fantom XR.

the 5050 and 5080 each had almost identical sounds to the xp 80.. "majestic trumpet" being an example. the same exact piano patches, converters or not they are relatively dull. i couldnt find one actual rhodes patch- a "real" rhodes, not the super-chorused out, tinny, 80's cheesy pop rhodes- on either one.

sorry but there are very real differences from this line and the FXR sounds and if you cant tell you are either lying about using/owning one, or are in heavy denial because you spent all that money on your 5080 and are desperate to convince yourself (it really sounds like you are) how superior it is.

the fantom has entirely different piano sounds. much fuller, much brighter and richer to say the least- NOT the same ones "through better converters". converters dont change the patch itself buddy. converters change quality, not content. seriously.... what about the horn section patches? breathtaking. nothing on ANY module i have played and OWNED- motif, triton le, proteus 2000 and two xp synths- comesim not taling about the run of the mill orchestral horn section that everything has, but i mean, rich, punchy, jazz and soul oriented patches. you will not find those- or anything close to them- on an xv synth and i challenge you to produce an example of it, with patch name, number, bank and all.

the XR still sucks like all roland romplers do when it comes to good organ patches (unless you like rock organ patches, but if you want gospel or soul sounds you are waaaay in the wrong department ith any roland rompler, although the vintage keys srx board shores this up some)but at least they finally put in some actuall rhodes and wurly patches.

honestly man, when you can get the same 5080 patches FOR FREE- because for synth sounds it is excellent- but the converters on the xr are pristine, the fx are cleaner, and the compresser is good IF you know what yo uare doing with it.

but to say the sounds are all the same through each module except through different converters is absurd. of course there are many carry overs but the xp/xv line is such a sham, i was about to pay twice what my WORKSTATION keyboard cost me for a MODULE that had the EXACT SAME PATCHES AND FX that my board alread yhad- but through "different converters". the xv/xp differences were things like converters and "4 tones per patch!" but playing the same sounds..

the xr, in my view, after extensive demoing (at least 20 hours, side by side) is a much better product and is a very real upgrade over the xv line.
the xv engine was the greatest fraud ever to me, because it was just souped up jv sounds in a new box. the FXR is NOT that, sorry to say.

Last edited:
Cold Truth, you are actually much closer to the truth than Napalm is. Most of your arguments make sense. The Fantom FA76 has the same waveforms as all the other XV's, but all the patches are brand new. The Fantom-S has all new waveforms, and all new patches. The Fantom-X has all the patches from the Fantom-S, plus some new waveforms,and 128 new patches. The Fantom-S, Fantom-X, and Fantom-XR also have a cool 32 step filter that none of the other XVs have.
Now the XVs. the Big thing with the XV was introducing a sound engine(the only sound engine amoung romplers) that can play four layer stereo waveforms.
Now before Rolands technological breakthrough with the XV, they were very successful with the JV synths. There is no other family of synths that sold as well as the JV line(not even Triton). There is a JV synth in every major studio in the country. Not most major studios, but all. Roland had to make the XV backwards compatible with the JVs. So many of the best of the JV sounds are in there. But there are also a number of stereo waveforms, which can't have come from the JVs. 64voice piano, and nice piano are both made from stereo waveforms.
I've always liked the sound of the JVs, so for me, and many others, it was a plus that the XVs sound exactly like the JVs. Then there are sounds in there, that the JVs can't do.
The rest of your argument, I can understand. I haven't listened to a 5080/5050/Fantom X series side by side for any amount of time. But like you say, the piano, Rhodes, Wurly and organs sound remarkably better on my Fantom-S, than my 5050.
I also agree with your assessment of Napalm's argument.

My turn.:D :p

My opinion, to add to all the others.:)

I have experience with the XP-30, JV-1080, and FA-76.

Brass and strings, the FA-76 outshines the JV line pretty damn good. Those are new waveforms that were not in the JV line. But for the most part, a lot of the waveforms in the Fantom line really are the same waveforms from the JV lines except that they can afford to use a bigger file size for them which in this case translates to better quality. The pianos also sound fuller on the FA-76 but then again I didn't like them much more than the JV pianos. EP's are a lot better on the FA-76 and some synths had a little more edge.

Now this is where it gets tricky. People are very picky about converters without knowing so many times.

I would pick the jv 1080 sound over the FA-76 sound. I would pick the FA-76 over the XP-30. It's not always about the converter bitrate. The Fantom has 24 bits converters while the 1080 has 20 bit converters. I like the 1080 converters because I felt that they didn't add their signature to the sound much like the FA-76 converters. I don't know what the XP-30 uses but to me the sound of the XP-30 was nothing special even though it had all those sounds available. I am thinking that there are a variety of converters that Roland uses for the XV line also, which contributes to the way that the modules sound with the exact same patches. This is why it's very important for people to listen for themselves when making purchases.

For the most part, all the XV synths can do the same stuff with some slight differences here and there.

cold truth, your argument is pointless because I've already stated that all Roland ROM'plers have a different sound character... I had experiences with most of Roland's major signature synths from the JD990 -> JV2080 -> XP30/60 -> XV5080/5050 -> Fantom XR... So I'm pretty aware of the differences between each synth... I don't pretend to know anything, hands on experience is what I preach... My argument was mainly targeted towards the subject at hand... Please point to where I've stated the Fantom XR is not an improvement over the XV5080 in some areas?

I really wanted to embrace the XR, but felt it was not worthy to hold the crown over the XV5080... If I really wanted superior acoustic samples, my MPC4000 could load those 24bit sound libraries with ease... Plus those Multi-Mode Filters are also found in my Alesis Andromeda...

With the XV5080, I basically have access to thousands of additional JV/XV/Original Fantom Patches, Akai support, 128 voices, 8 EXP Slots, etc...

So the only advantage I feel the XR has over it is in the user sampling and this is already covered with my MPC...

The sound quality is inferior IMHO!!!

i guess ill be going for the xv5050.

heres a question u might think is dum. Whats the point of a synthesizer? why not just put them sounds on a cd?

Back