differents between XV5050 and XV5080??

hi guys,
i was doing a search on the 5050 and the 5080 and bumped into you guys. cos i had someone offering me a 5050 for $400 and a 5080 for $850. i went thru almost all the reviews and forums and still cant decide. the differences are in the polyphony and the multi timberal parts, what does it affect? any suggestions which i should go for? any advise appreciated. thanks. :)

If you've got nothing else, I'd go for the 5080. If you have a decent computer setup, I'd go with the 5050. If I could get both, I'd get both.

What is the difference between a "waveform" and a "patch"?I thought they were the same thing :confused:

So really, if between the XR and 5080, which one should I get?I have someone offering me a used 5080 with 2 expansion cards for 1000$, while I have someone offering me a FantomXR with no expansions for 1250$.You can download the 5080 patches to the FantomXR, and the FantomXR patches to the 5080 right?

thunderkyss said:
If you've got nothing else, I'd go for the 5080. If you have a decent computer setup, I'd go with the 5050. If I could get both, I'd get both.

i do have a decent computer setup to cover the sampling capabilities of the 5080 but what about the difference in polyphony and the convertors? anyone else with any thoughts?

NonaHendryx said:
What is the difference between a "waveform" and a "patch"?I thought they were the same thing :confused:

a waveform is the equivalent of a .wav file on your computer, or in your sampler. You can select it to be the oscillator of your patch. Now, you can set the way your device will play that waveform based on which key is pressed, the key that is pressed, you can set-up how the pitchbend control will affect your waveform, how the modulation whell will effect it. then you can define how your LFOs will effect the waveform, and the amplifier.
Now on many synths, you can layer two(triton) three(Yamaha) four(Roland JV/XP synths) or four stereo(Roland XV synths) waveforms. in addition to velocity, amp, and lfos, these synth engines provide you with the ability to control how the Waveforms will blend to play the instruments, you can add your filters, Ring Modulators, & boosters. All these settings are saved as a patch.

NonaHendryx said:
So really, if between the XR and 5080, which one should I get?I have someone offering me a used 5080 with 2 expansion cards for 1000$, while I have someone offering me a FantomXR with no expansions for 1250$.You can download the 5080 patches to the FantomXR, and the FantomXR patches to the 5080 right? [/B]

I wold chose the XR. Simply for the fact the XR can adress more memory. But the 5080 has built in support for older sampler formats. The5080 can take SRX cards as well as JV cards, & the 5080 has SCSI.
The XR has USB support for working with a computer(may not need SCSI at all), and a computer app that will helpediting your samples, and building your instruments.

your 5080 @ $1000 sounds like the better value. The XR for $1250 ehh. you can get them brand new for $1400 anytime. I'd get the5080.

thunderkyss said:

I wold chose the XR. Simply for the fact the XR can adress more memory. But the 5080 has built in support for older sampler formats. The5080 can take SRX cards as well as JV cards, & the 5080 has SCSI.
The XR has USB support for working with a computer(may not need SCSI at all), and a computer app that will helpediting your samples, and building your instruments.

your 5080 @ $1000 sounds like the better value. The XR for $1250 ehh. you can get them brand new for $1400 anytime. I'd get the5080.

I just want to use something for some additional sounds(patches) to use.I already have a sampler.Thanks.

It looks like I'll have the same soundsets either way (since you can download each other patches) so I guess the 5080 would be better?The 5080 has the same engine as the Fantom but it has a better reverb right?Are the converters on the 5080 better?The XR only has 4 outputs so that may be a problem...

I bought a XV-5080...now this machine really is something. Never heard such pure sound, plus you can expand it. But why is it soooooooooooo hard to understand?! I'm usually very good at understanding my gears but for this thing I totally gave up, the only thing I use it for is to record the sounds I'm playing from my keyboard...but all internal functions are way too complicated for the size of it's LCD screen. I wish they would make a program to control it from a PC.

Have you tried the software editor??? Here at http://www.rolandus.com/ you can download the software editor for the xv, it works a lot faster especialy in the perform/multitimbral mode.

I have a xv5050 now, but i need a good keyboard, will the FA76 be an upgrade from the xv5050?

I heard the fantom S and i liked it sounds, but does the fa76 sound different from the S????

Its real tricky the way Roland uses different converters for every machine.

Sorry for resuscitate this pleistocenic thread 14 years after.
Does the old module Roland XV-5050 have 32khz converters? seriously?? I always thought I was 44.1 due to his SPDIF output and overall pristine audio quality. Where is that info specification? Manual? Service manual? Roland site? Brochure? I swear I've never seen it. If that conclusion is the result of a subjective hearing it doesn't seem reliable to me. For that same reason I cannot assert it is 44.1. and I need to know a trusted source. Thanks for answers.

Last edited:
Back