Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: differents between XV5050 and XV5080??

Thanks

differents between XV5050 and XV5080??

Sign in to disable this ad
    Are the quality differences in samples and effects GREAT? cause the price most definetly is.

And also ive heard that roland dosent make these anymore? what that all about? where can i purchase these in london? Turnkey.co.uk only seems to have xv2020.

Thanks
    The XV-5080, and XV-5050 have both been replaced by the Fantom-XR.

The 5050 has more sounds than the 5080. It has all the patches from the 5080, plus the ones in the 3080, plus some of the sounds from the original Fantom FA-76.
    The effects and patches are identical between the FA-76 which is equivalent to the 5080 except that the FA-76, 5050, and 3080 have a better reverb.

The 5080 uses 44.1Khz d/a converters, where everything else has 32Khz converters.

The only benefit the 5080 really has(IMHO) is the sampling features, which aren't that great, if you have a decent audio sequencer, like Sonar or Logic. It's easier to record to a track, trim it, normalize, chop, what ever then add all the effects & automation you want. Copy and paste it where you want, if you don't have a virtual sampler.

Thanks
    My 5080 has all the 5050/Fantom patches/performances + 8 EXP Slots Maxed + over 4000 custom banks + the lovely LCD Display + Those Dedicated Buttons + Smart Media Storage + Akai Support + Kick Azz Converters + I think I've stated enough why it's much better than the XV5050(IMHO)...

The Fantom XR has some nice features, but it didn't really WOW me in the sound department, which is more important... Roland did improve the acoustic samples and added some nice filters to shape/morph the sound, which was cool...
    Born to Murder the World

Thanks
    The effects and patches are identical between the FA-76 which is equivalent to the 5080 except that the FA-76, 5050, and 3080 have a better reverb.
    Who told you that lie, the XV5080 effects kicks them all in the teeth!!!
    Last edited by Napalm; 02-03-2005 at 04:13 PM.
    Born to Murder the World

Thanks
    Napalm, do you know how to read??
    nobody asked which was better. the question was "is there a big difference in sound quality" the correct answer is they are the same sounds, except for the D/A conversion. Also, the 5050 came from roland with all the patches from the 5080, the 3080, and a selection of sounds from the FA-76(it says so in the brouchure).
    The 3080, 5050, XV88, and all the Fantoms are the same, except for packaging. All the effects are the same, except the 5080 uses the reverb ported over from the JV synths. The 3080, and every other XV after it, including the 2020 uses the algorithm from rolands SSR rack mount studio reverb.

you do understand they are all basically the same don't you??

Thanks
    Yeah I can read smart fella and clearly understand the topic at hand... The XV5050, XV3080, XV88, & Original Fantom are inferior in all aspects to the XV5080... Many others, including myself, considers the 5080 to be Roland's best sounding & complete synthesizer... All others are stripped down versions in sound converters, DSP Power, and rehashed features!!!

And you're still wrong about the Reverb, the XV5080 also contains derived effect algorithms from SRV-3030, V-Studios, RSS, and COSM(Which is also found in 5050/Fantom, but not XV88/3080)

I was basically stating that the XV5080 is clearly the better choice FROM EXPERIENCE, and not by reading a brochure... Plus you could download all of the 5050/Fantom Patches for free...
    Born to Murder the World

Thanks
    OK, NaPalm, you're right, and I'm wrong.

XV5050

AGAIN

Or maybe you weren't

regardless about the Reverb. Other than that, they are the same, use the same waveforms, the same waveforms, and the same patches. But how they sound, I dont't think there is that big of a difference. I own the 5050, so maybe that is why I think that way. I also own a Fantom, and
    think the 5050, and Fantom-S both sound very good, and I can't imagine
    anything sounding much better.
    Last edited by thunderkyss; 02-04-2005 at 07:53 AM.

Thanks
    Originally posted by Napalm

I was basically stating that the XV5080 is clearly the better choice FROM EXPERIENCE, and not by reading a brochure... Plus you could download all of the 5050/Fantom Patches for free...
    How can you say the 5080 is [b]CLEARLY[/] the best choice, when dude hasn't even said what he needs it for?? He may not need 128notes of poly, he may not need a Sampler, he may not need any of the effects. He might just want one or the other for the built in drum kit, which are the same in both units. So IMHO paying less for the same kits is clearly the better choice.

Thanks
    hmm...
    I guess the best thing is for me is to try them both out.

I appreciate the replys though, it was helpful.

Iam i ritgh to assume that "The XV-5080, and XV-5050 have both been replaced by the Fantom-XR"?? or is this just an opinion?

and where (URL) can i go to listen to samples from these synthesizers?

thanks again.
    Last edited by Entee; 02-04-2005 at 10:40 AM.

Thanks
    thunderkyss, the XV5080 is complete... He would have all of the effects, enough dsp power to handle his inserts in performance mode + polyphony, more than enough expansion slots, the better converters, Akai sample playback to mix in custom samples, better hands-on editing capabilities, a zillion audio output configurations, 32 part multitimbral, etc... This is why you are paying more, I never stated the Wave ROM was different... Maybe you cannot read!!!

LOL, then you supply not 1, but 2 links to the XV5050 review, how clever... Didin't prove a thing other than repeating the advantages of having the XV5080 over it's trimmed down siblings...

Like I've stated before, I know from experience of having the XV5050, Fantom XR, and now still the undisputed champ XV5080...

Entee, unfortunately we cannot decide for you, but I wanted to make clear of why the XV5080 was more expensive over the others... It was once Roland's Flagship Synth Product and personally I feel it still is...

I would suggest you travel down to your local music retailer and audition the XV5050 & Fantom XR... Online demos does not accurately represent the true sound quality...

But if you insist, visit http://www.rolandus.com/index.asp

Plenty of product info & demos there...

Good luck!!
    Last edited by Napalm; 02-05-2005 at 11:01 AM.
    Born to Murder the World

Thread Information