Dave Smith Instruments: Poly Evolver Keyboard

mano 1 said:
"Paysages 3" (5:17)

www.ManuelClement.com

The song that is streaming on my "coming soon" page was done using the Poly Evolver Keyboard, tracked into Cubase SX via a Creamware SCOPE Project card.

mano thas a wild lil track .. im diggin the really spacie synth sound
exactly how difficult is it to make / shape sounds with the blue monster...
have you made any percussion sounds??

No percussion sound yet. The envelopes are snappy and it should be possible to make some good sounds in this area... The various feedback/distortion/hack features should also help.

The digital oscs are quite nice actually, especially when you want to add an extra snap to patches you make.

Expect a new article with video and sounds soon. I'll focus on the various parts of the interface (sequencer, osc section, etc).

-mano

mano,
you mention endless knobs, but when I look at the closeup pics at D.S. Instruments, each knob has a little pointer on it.

From your description of "endless knob", I was kinda expecting to see knobs like the nord lead 3... just a blank knob (I love the LED indicators around the knobs, but I wasn't expecting that much here)

How does the endless knobs work when there's a pointer notch on the top of it? Maybe I'm just looking at the wrong pics, but I followed one of the links you posted.

nice track you posted by the way, I'm really tempted to get one of these.

Last edited:
mano 1 said:
No percussion sound yet.

I'll focus on the various parts of the interface (sequencer, osc section, etc).

-mano

well if ya ever get around to maken some drop a track with it..i would love to hear a piece done with that machine.from percs to melody.. im sure youll be able to make funky drums with it.....

QUESTION..how powerfull is the sequencer..is it on the mpc or mv8000 level of sequencing..cause if so...that will be a must have piece simply because of the endless way you can shape sounds..

Last edited by a moderator:
subatomic:

thanks for the comments on the track; i have only recently started to let people listen to some of my stuff - I am usually more of a "locked in my cave" kind of guy with my music.

The buttons are endless like on the nord lead. I know where you are coming from, I actually didn't know they were endless until I had already ordered the keyboard. The little line on the knobs seems to be there to make it easier to grab the knobs and hold them as you turn. They feel very smooth, no "stairs".

One interesting thing about the knobs is that you actually can turn them for 2 complete revolutions to reach the min/max value; this makes it very easy to do very precise tweaks to the values.

Sinister_keys:

the sequencer is nothing like an MV or MPC... It is a step sequencer in the style of the old analog modulars of the 70's... You turn the knobs to change the note of each step - although you can also use the keyboard to enter notes in, it is *not* something to use like the sequencers you mentioned... It is just a different tool.

the sequencer values can be assigned to any parameter on the synth... Since you have 4 sequences of 16 steps, you can have 1 sequence making some arpeggio (which you can trigger and transpose from the keyboard), 1 sequence assigned to the filter frequency, another to the oscillator shape, etc etc...

It is more of a sound design tool, integrated with your patches.

Though remember that the Poly Evolver Keybaord is a MIDI devices... You can sequence it from an MPC, MV, Cubase, etc... Regarding other differences with an MPC or MV, this is NOT a sampler: you generate sounds in real time. It is a synthesizer.

i like its look coz of the blue lights.. im thinkn of buying a synth but tha thing i dont know nuttin bout them.

from what i saw it looks hot but id like a nice little lcd to look at.

im thinkn of gettin the korg OASYS but i dunno if thats a good selection for a person who aint kno **** bout them. IT looks good and its got excelent sound quality.

As for ur poly evolver man looks nice, a lot of things to play with.

PS : how about some samples ;)

Last edited:
Bigsy said:

im thinkn of gettin the korg OASYS

not tryn' to side track the thread

but the oasys isnt really a machine to look at if your thinkin' about gittin a synth..an OASYS is a synth you purchase when music is already makin money for you..IMHO of course...

mano...don't you have an MPC as well??? if so...is it possible to have the mpc to trigger a single oscillator for manipulating a sound you have loaded on the MPC??? if so you can really create some freaked out drum samples...

Bigsy:

The Evolver will not replace a workstation, it is a different instrument alltogether.

It is a good idea to have a real hands-on synthesizer in your setup to *learn* synthesis. When you tweak the parameters on a synthesizer like the Evolver (or any of the synths which have a lot of hands-on control), you get to understand how sounds are structured.

Samples? There are a couple to listen to already :) ... There is a video article (8 minutes) and also a link to my Paysages III track.

SInister_Keys:

Yes I have an MPC1000, which can sequence the Evolver like any other MIDI device (I mentioned it in my previous post).

Triggering a single oscillator? Well it depends how your patch/sound is built... If you mute all but 1 oscillator (there are 4 per voice), you will trigger it...

This will not "manipulate a sound loadded in the MPC" ... Although the Evolver can tweak ANY sound (it could be a microphone, or another synth, or the MPC, etc) via its audio INPUT. In this case the Evolver is pretty much an audio processor / effect.

No need to use any oscillator to do this though, just the audio input.

I will keep this in mind when I shoot the short video clips when reviewing various sections of the Evolver: using the audio inputs.

hey mano ... this is an unrelated question ..... but what is tha difference betwen mpc 1000 & 2000xl ive read there basically the same machine....in your opinion are they both basically created equal???

Sorry Mano; I still can't listen to your new version. :(
I hope I'll FINALLY :rolleyes: be ready with the studio by the end of the upcoming week. <sigh>

PS: I also have to wait for the CS-50 :(
(the seller of the CS-50 is the same guy that will give me some info about where to put the acoustic foam panels but he had to go abroad - unforeseen - and he'll be back by Thursday)

SInister_Keys said:
hey mano ... this is an unrelated question ..... but what is tha difference betwen mpc 1000 & 2000xl ive read there basically the same machine....in your opinion are they both basically created equal???

Please search the SEQUENCERS & SAMPLERS (HARDWARE) forum... THis has been discussed many times.

Thanks!

the POLYEVOLVER is a MUST for me for this or the next year. and I`m serious, I have 5 months saving money for a synth like this one.

balma said:
the POLYEVOLVER is a MUST for me for this or the next year. and I`m serious, I have 5 months saving money for a synth like this one.

(Mano from smartie's computer)

You will love it! I spend a little bit of time exploring it each day and am still finding new things to do, new tones to create. Beautiful instrument.

mano 1 said:
Finally, I really like the fact that those are endless rotary knobs, this makes it easy to adjust parameters on patches you load in.

Just curious:

How do you know what position the knobs are in while tweaking sounds? I like to se the overall end result of the knobs position, specially if I’m learning and want to go back to the filters (i.e.) and look what I did there. You say the PEK has endless rotary on the knobs, so I’m just curious about the visual control and look.

cubbyhouse said:

Just curious:

How do you know what position the knobs are in while tweaking sounds? I like to se the overall end result of the knobs position, specially if I’m learning and want to go back to the filters (i.e.) and look what I did there. You say the PEK has endless rotary on the knobs, so I’m just curious about the visual control and look.

As soon as you change the value of a knob, the LCD screens shows you: what parameter you are editing, and the value.

When you firt turn the knob a "little bit", you don't change the value - this way you can quickly see what value is on each knob.

mano 1 said:

As soon as you change the value of a knob, the LCD screens shows you: what parameter you are editing, and the value.

When you firt turn the knob a "little bit", you don't change the value - this way you can quickly see what value is on each knob.

Ok. I guess this is a matter of taste and how good you are at programming. I am (as a newbie programmer) depended on the overall look of what I’m doing and have done – that way I get a kind of visual overlook and feel when programming sounds. And when I loaded patches to my hardware synths, sometimes I turned all the knobs to their active position, just to see what every section did with the sound. Like on the Virus, the LCD shows both the actual value and the active patch value. So I’m a bit surprised that PEK has this kind of none-visual knob system. But I guess this is a (+) for those who know what their doing. Even when the PEK is one of my favorites at present time, I look at this as a drawback. But that’s only my preference, though.

cubbyhouse said:

Ok. I guess this is a matter of taste and how good you are at programming. I am (as a newbie programmer) depended on the overall look of what I’m doing and have done – that way I get a kind of visual overlook and feel when programming sounds. And when I loaded patches to my hardware synths, sometimes I turned all the knobs to their active position, just to see what every section did with the sound. Like on the Virus, the LCD shows both the actual value and the active patch value. So I’m a bit surprised that PEK has this kind of none-visual knob system. But I guess this is a (+) for those who know what their doing. Even when the PEK is one of my favorites at present time, I look at this as a drawback. But that’s only my preference, though.

Damn, you NEED a Nord 3 :)
Most synths with patch memory are pretty much the same in terms of seeing where each knob is. The option of being able to just turn it a little to see is actually a pretty cool feature I don't have on anything besides the evolver. Most require you to use a "peek" function or have nothing at all, you just have to use your ears. Either way its better than the virus in terms of live use because on the virus and any others with absolute knobs, you get parameter jumping when you first move a knob whereas with endless rotaries, its smooth no matter what you do. But as you said, I guess you can't go through and turn each knob to its actual value on those... but thats real time consuming. That is one of those can't win debates where it really comes down to personal preference. But the one exception to that is the nord3 which gives you both worlds, which is why I said it would be perfect for you ;)

They should make a 4-6U rack version of the poly, that would be tight!

Back