Comadore 64 sounds

M

Mr. Nibbles

I have been trying to find out about the comadore 64, I found out that its some type of ram chip or something, but thats all I found out about it. All I really know is that it makes those awsome video game sounds. Anyone know if they still sell something like that, or if there is some virtual instrument in Cubase or something? Mano One seems to know allot about old skool stuff do you know anything about it?

There's a synth-box called the 'sidstation' (made by elektron) that I think has that chip in it. Do a search on google.

KasioRoks

simple solution (hope not too simple :D )

try to find arcade games on the web (if you haven't) and just sample the (isolated) sounds you like

or you could go to a thrift store and get a real commodore... they are dirt cheap. and then sample right off of it.

get your c64 sounds here!!!

dont get a sidstation!!... ok, dont get it if you cant afford it (i mean, who doesnt want one)... but, you cant still get the fab sound of the sid chip in cubase or any vst app:
http://www.refx.net/products/QuadraSID.php4

QuadraSid is a VST instrument that emulates the super sound of the c64 synthesizer. for that person that said "ram chip", the c64 generated its sound with a propietary chip called the SID, basically a 4 voice synth, three oscillators and a noise generator if i am not mistaken, with a multimode resonant filter. QuadraSID is like having four SID chips though, 4 times the power of the original c64!!

if you want the c64 sound then you definitely have to get this plugin... and dont be fooled, it is not just for nostalgia-teary-eyed sounds: it can really shake the floor if you know what you are doing.

c

Cheers aaa, (how is that pronounced BTW?;)) Looks cool. Does it sound fat?

KasioRoks

I am really getting into hardware now and I can afford a sid synth, so i think I might get it, either a sid syth or a Korg ES-1 and EM-1, what do you guys think?

P.S : this guy scares me --------- :victory:

well.. www.hardsid.com is another alternative. It's a soundcard with SID:s ;)

The Sidstation also got some filters onboard (that a couple of people has told me sounds very good).. which makes it even cooler than standard SID-hardware :P
The filters are made for the sidstation.. so i guess that they are designed especially for the SID-sounds. Check it out!:cool:

go for SIDSTATION

We use SIDSTATION in our band, and I fool around with it a lot. I can tell you that it can produce sounds, that aren't possible on any other synth out there. synthesis is pretty deep and it takes a while to learn, but the results are astonishing!!

there's also a computer card out there called HardSID which works with original SID chip which you must take out of your C64 and insert it into the card. It's basicaly the same thing that SIDSTATION, only that it is used with computer, which might be a problem sometimes, but it offers easier editing. Well, you can also edit SIDSTATION with a software editor, so it's a winner here.

Take care.:victory:

Back