Changing sounds live

C

chrisfp99

Guys, who plays live? On what? How do you get easy access to the sounds you want? Buttons on the keyboard? Footswitch? Seems to me the modern Triton, Fantom, Motifs etc. are not well designed for live playing. Or am I missing something?

True, they're not really designed for live playing. But they are capable.

The fantom has "soft keys" (buttons) that you can assin patches to. It's either 4 or 8 that you have available. You can change from patch to patch with this method.

You can also use a multi-timbral set up and lay out 16 different patches. All you have to do is use the channels to place your patches in the order that you need them.

If you need a performance setup, performances are user-writable, which means that you can lay out your performances and just go from performance to performance with the wheel or a button.

So it comes down to laying things out and going from there. Being familiar with your workstation helps a lot.

With the Triton you can arrange 8 patches in a Bank (ie from E000 to E007) and go into Bank View. (where they're arranged in a 2-row table). That way you can switch between 8 sounds with one click on the touch screen...

I think that's more than enough for one song! don't you?

for the next song, you can save another set E008 to E015.. you switch sets with one click on the horizontal scrolling-bar.

Last edited by a moderator:
The easy way it to put all you program change data into a sequencer and use that.

Then again, on my live rig:
Yamaha RM1x
Yamaha A4000
Motu MTPII
Behringer MX1602
Magic Trance Box

I manually select programs on the fly as the RM1x has an annoying bug with its midi filter. Grab a listen here:

(11MB of minimal trance)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back