Best controller for drumming?

UtaYamato

What do you guys think is the best MIDI controller for playing drums, other than an actual drum kit?

For me or for you?

For me - Maschine hands down.
A friend of mine uses and old Triggerfinger that he modded...
Another freind Won't entertain anything other than his MPC1000 for drums...
Got another freind who uses all hardware - I think he uses an electribe for drums but not honestly sure...

Do electronic drum kits count? If learning/keeping the skill alive is important as well, that's the second best option.

It depends on your preferences. For me the best feeling is on maschine - pads are very sensitive and you can create interesting things. I used to have mpc 1000 and those pads I had to hit a bit harder, mpc 500 - more harder - some people like it. As far as I can remember similar feeling to maschine was on mpc ren and some controller from Korg (cannot remember the model) - was playing once in a shop... I would suggest to go to shop and test few models, this is the only one way to choose good product for you

Electronic drum kits hands down- I actually learned to play drums to a beginner/intermediate level on an electric drum kit.

They do have some disadvantages that normal MIDI controllers don't have, the biggest being price (a lot more than a normal MIDI controller) and size (half to the same as a real drum kit)

Technically the best are maschine and the renaissance/roland mv8800, and mpc4000-5000 if tierlist matters.

But as a dude who has an akai mpd18/nanopad2/padkontrol...don't know tbh.
Double tapping on akai is beautiful on a wooden desk. so are the other pads too.

And let's not forget that a computer keyboard can do it too. Only reason I don't advise midifighter is the buttons are actually buttons and not a surface rubber.

I don't think the Midifighters were meant to be drum pads anyway...more of a generic purpose, well, set of buttons.

It's pads without the stick part which is why personally not keen into it. But 16 buttons is pretty solid, more than enough for CC controls.
But personally, for that sort of thing I'd recommend control surfaces.

Midimix
novation launchpad.
one of those behringers that have so many knobs it's like why.
and those things that look like the push.

And I only feel that way cuz it's a stick with no stick.

Back