Axiom Pro, MPK or Novation

GarishGuac

I'm currently looking at one of these keyboards coming from a motif es setup and what drew me to this style of keyboard is the ease they seem to share with my old motif. I'm wondering which one i should go with, which will eliminate the need for my keyboard and mouse and just have the most ease of use. A major concern of mine is being able to choose vsts to add to tracks and other plugins and select the patches within the vst. Also tweaking some main effects.

Last edited:
i have an Axiom and its dope man, exp for the money..if u got the guap i'd say go MPK

Id go with the Axiom pro from what ive read it has a type of automap its just called something different. That is the only thing from what ive seen that makes the Novation better than the normal axiom just because mapping every key can be a *****.

Novation just came out with their update to the SL line. I want to get the Axiom Pro or the SL mk 2 but Im not sure yet which one is the way to go.

I had an Axiom 49 and it was nice for the money. The endless rotaries are nice but the "faders" are extremely cheap-feeling. The pads also suck IMO. I haven't had the chance to try the new Axioms but it doesn't seem to me like they're improved it enough to justify the extra money. And I haven't used their automap, I don't know how well it's gonna work.

Novation SL's have great-feeling keys. Much better than any of the others listed in my opinion, and I've used or owned them all. The Remote SL is also super sweet if you use Ableton Live or automap-compatible synths within hosts like Sonar, etc. It also has an X/Y touchpad which can more or less behave like a Korg Kaoss Pad if you map it with efx.

I think the best midi controller out there right now is the Akai MPK49. Unless you are a real piano player and need as many octaves as you can get, the MPK is all-around the best choice. It's 49-note, obviously, which to me seems just big enough. Not too big, not too small. It's also built like a freakin' TANK! It also has 12 velocity-sensitve drum pads which are pretty much identical to the ones found on the MPC1000's. The mod wheel feels a little weird, more akin to the ones you'd see on an old-school analog synth. I'm just not used to it. It also has faders that can be used for channel volumes or whatever you want. And plenty of knobs to map. I think Akai hit a home run with this controller...

And I'm trading a mint condition Novation Remote SL 61 for an Akai MPK49. :)

Look, I have a friend who works inside the industry and she insisted that I try the Axiom Pro 61, so she sent me one, and to be honest, I wasn't too excited until I set it up! This thing is awesome! Everything about it is good, the Auto Mapping is way better than the Novation series! After 15 minutes on the Axiom Pro 61, my MPK 49 and Novation Zero SL were on Ebay! I sold the MPK and still have the Zero SL if someone wants it?

Seriously, I have never been a fan of M-Audio, but they got it right on this one!

ONE

Back