asr 10

nappyd24

sup yall im new here n i figured id take advantage of the forum to ask about the asr 10. im thinkin of buying one and im wondering how the sampling works. ive been told that i can play the sample i record in a different pitch accordingly with each key. ie: with one sampled bass note i can play the whole scale accross the board. i have no expereince with synthboards or keyboard samplers so any explainations would be appreciated. thanks

Don't get it! I mean it sounds good and all but it's got problems too. It gets very hot, freezes alot, sequencer sucks, but it sounds great. I would get a current rompler/sampling keyboard if I were you. ASR's are good if thats what you had when they were hot and your use to it, but now for the money you can get so many more features.

Don't get it just because you saw it in Scott Storch's studio, or because Kanye made his first beats on it. Remember that unlike real synths, fake synths (ROMplers) don't age well over time due to Moore's law. Every 1.5 years, your ROMpler will be 1/2 as good as it was 1.5 years ago. Using logarithms, you can therefore calculate how crappy the ASR-10 has become compared to, say, Triton.

Who am I kidding anyway. Its probably dirt ass cheap on the bay plus Scotty has it in his studio so just cop it.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks yall.. but u didnt explain that whole pitch thing to me. and im a little offended by the fact that storch and kanye are my assumed influences for a purchase

I_watch_stars said:
Don't get it just because you saw it in Scott Storch's studio, or because Kanye made his first beats on it. Remember that unlike real synths, fake synths (ROMplers) don't age well over time due to Moore's law. Every 1.5 years, your ROMpler will be 1/2 as good as it was 1.5 years ago. Using logarithms, you can therefore calculate how crappy the ASR-10 has become compared to, say, Triton.

I can kinda follow your logic about ROMplers (essentially applying Moore's Law to them), but you lost me when you extrapolated that to samplers...

Last edited:
I don't know much about the sampling, but if that's the keyboard you want, do your thang and cop it! Also, if you have your heart set on that type of keyboard, check out Ensoniq's EPS 16 plus. It was almost exactly the same keyboard. It costs way less too. They're both great keyboards. Make sure you upgrade the 3.5 floppy drive to a zip drive.

I_watch_stars said:
Uhm, excuse me? The Triton is the more dated in this comparison, seeing as how the ASR-10 uses only user samples and programming, as opposed to being a "preset machine" (may a thousand hungry midgets descend upon that term and devour it).

If you're willing to go old-school (no graphical interface stuff, knowledge of what you're doing a must) the ASR-10 is an awesome machine. Its effects are excellent, and its sampling engine is quie full-featured. Yes, it does suffer from overheating (look at the top of the machine 2/3ds to the rightt. Is it "bleached" whitish? Then that particular ASR as seen a lot of on time.)

Anyway, who the fück uses algorithms to "calculate" how crappy the ASR has become? These dumbasses have obviously never used the machine.

If you can find a little-used one, it can be a big asset to your studio. If you find a burnt-out one, it will be a money pit.

-Hoax

Last edited by a moderator:
Cruel Hoax said:
Anyway, who the fück uses algorithms to "calculate" how crappy the ASR has become? These dumbasses have obviously never used the machine.

No one does; that would be ridiculous. Plus Moore's law can't really be accurately applied to those machines in that manner. Thats why its called a joke.......

...retard

yeh bro i see em on ebay sumtimes for like $500...good deal...u should get it...but if you wanna get sumthin new...the roland fantom has awsome sounds..sampling...and drum pads on it..so u should check that out as well

deshawnpenrose said:
I'm getting the Roland Fantom-X7, hows the sequncer, I'm moving away from fl studio

Why move away from FL? Use them both and you got a pretty powerfull set up!

X

Back