Anyone know how to program a yamaha dx100?

I got one a couple weeks ago and have been playing with it and reading the manual it came with. I know how tweak the sounds n stuff, but i don't get the whole thing with the algorithms. Which algorithm is good for what, what do they each do differently? And tweaking the operators along with the algorithms?

Last edited:
I'd suggest downloading the manual somewhere (here, for example), as the whole concept of how the operators are connected is much easier to grasp with some simple diagrams instead of me trying to explain it in textual form :) But basically the algos change the order & linking of the operators and whether they're modulators or carriers (which are kind of the fundamentals of fm).

isnt there a signal chain chart on the top. I cant remember on the 100 but my 7 has all the algos drawn out on the top of the board so you can look at them when you program.

isnt there a signal chain chart on the top. I cant remember on the 100 but my 7 has all the algos drawn out on the top of the board so you can look at them when you program.

Yea there is. But i just don't know exactly how to read it.. i mean what does it mean if, for example, op. 2 & 4 modulate op. 1 & 3?, which algorithm is good at plucked string sounds or piano etc... is this just something i find out for myself through using it?

Last edited:
pretty much. manual + looking at it + changing algorithms and pushing buttons = some amount of understanding. the manual will explain the diagrams but they are kind of tonal starting points of operators. we are talking about some of the weirdest to program synths of all time, so you get what you put into it and after some time you will get a feel for how the algorithms sound so you can use them to go for specific sounds.

the second link I gave you talks about exactly what you want - get it and read and experiment with it at your side......

Oh alright, i thought that was just the pdf version of the manual.

---------- Post added 10-27-2012 at 02:57 PM ---------- Previous post was 10-25-2012 at 04:16 PM ----------

I have some more questions about this dx100..

-I didn't get a clear understanding about the whole patch bank thing.. there are 4 banks of patches with 24 patches each, and another "hidden" 96 patches... but i can only use the first 24 patches to save?

-mine gets warm (just warm, not blazing hot) near the power supply input. anything to worry about here?

Last edited:
So: 192 patches all up.
These were built at a time when rom and ram were expensive to use, so there was little room given over to storing user patches - you were expected to save them to your computer using one of the many editors and patch librarians available......

As for power and heating issues: again there was little put into making these things run cool - no fans on-board from memory. The heating up near the power socket is normal for electronics from this period, as they used chips that were prone to heating up during the voltage conversion process: current and voltage were maintained and the excess power is shed as heat - these days we would expect a little bit more in the heat-sink department, but there you have it - different times, different expectations and the heat is not a safety issue as far as I am aware.... If you are worried, take to a friendly electronics tech and have them add another heat sink to the power circuits

Alright, that's what i thought too, because of the era it was built. As long as it's not a hazard i guess i'll leave it.

But i can use all 192 patch slots for my own? I thought the 24 user memory thing was all... but a patch i created somehow appears in a seperate bank than the default area, from the one i tried to save it in, i accidently duplicated it into two different banks.. idk this is confusing lol

Back