analog synth

virtual analog:

=> these machines all have onboard arpeggiator, fx, MIDI, ...

* Novation A-Station (± $ 600)
* Access Virus (± $ 1.200)
* Waldorf Micro-Q (± $ 900)
* Clavia Nordlead 2 (± $ 1.200)

analog:

=> here you'll have to look on auction sites like Ebay to find 2nd hand vintage analog synths

* Roland Juno 106 (6-voice polyphony, MIDI, no arpeggiator, no fx onboard) (± $ 350)
* Roland SH-101 (monophonic, no fx onboard, no MIDI - optional MIDI kit available) (± $ 500)
* Roland Juno 60 (6-voice polyphony, no fx, no MIDI - optional MIDI kit available) (± $ 350)
* Roland Jupiter6 (6-voice polyphony, MIDI, no fx onboard) (± $ 1.100) - phattest analog Roland synth

Peace !! :cheers:

Last edited:
Oberheim OB-8
Oberhiem OB-Xa
Sequential Pro One
Future Retro 777
Korg MS-20
Synths like the Pro-One, the OB-8 and the MS-20 are very great sounding synths, but I have some remarks here:

The Sequential Pro One and Korg MS-20 are great, but they are both monophonic and lack MIDI, and they have no arpeggiator.

The OB-8 had no MIDI, but there are MIDI converters for the synth.
About the OB-Xa, I don't know for sure, but I think it lacks MIDI too.

The Future Retro is a TB-303 clone, so it is monophonic too.

Peace !! :cheers:

you will need to give a bit more info on that in order to get some better help. when dealing with synths its not as simple as whats better than the other or whats best for under X amount. just like any other instrument they are all uniquely different and therefore some do things better than others and all have certrain traits that make them desireable to some and less so to others. what is one persons perfect synth could be someone elses worst as it depends what you are looking for from it.
if you want realistic instrument noises then analog is not for you. if you want something else then its worth considering. also no ananlog synth i have come across yet (including all i have owned or used) has been a great all rounder so if you are only going to have one synth in your set up then think real hard. i have seven analogs just now plus a dx7 and this just about covers me. if i was to be stuck with just one and had to give up the rest i would keep the dx7. its definately not the best synth i have or my favourite ( this goes to my prophet and then on a scale down through them all with the dx7 being last) but it is the one that would allow me the most flexibility as it can do bass, pads, strings, realistic noises and replicate most other synths if only vaguely. it doesnt do each of these as good as the analogs i have dedicated to each but atleast it can do them.
let us know that you have, what music you make and what you are looking for and the members may be able to give you some valid help rather than just a list of what they like.

The new Macbeth M3X looks good and its new for pretty cheap.

d.c.

If you want some true analog, I definitely agree with the above posts concerning the Juno line... Especially the 106... THis synth is awesome, and will only run you around $350... The Alpha Juno and Alpha Juno 2 are both pretty good as well, especially if want that classic Hoover sound....

Now here's an idea though, that not many know of.... Kawai made a synth back in the day called the SX-240... This is quite the little beast, and it gets compaired to Roland's legenday Jupiter line. (Personally, I think it's even phatter, but you didnt hear that from me). If you can find one of these, I would definitly pick it up... I love mine to death. It's compeltely analog, and has this totally cool retro look. Don't pay more than $350 for this synth...

Good Luck

expander

Something else to consider is the Sequential Circuits Pro-One. It's basically a single voice of a prophet, I think. VERY distinctive bass, you'd recognize it instantly. I think they usually go for around $500 or so.

expander said:

Now here's an idea though, that not many know of.... Kawai made a synth back in the day called the SX-240... This is quite the little beast, and it gets compaired to Roland's legenday Jupiter line. (Personally, I think it's even phatter, but you didnt hear that from me). If you can find one of these, I would definitly pick it up... I love mine to death. It's compeltely analog, and has this totally cool retro look. Don't pay more than $350 for this synth...

Good Luck

expander

I am always looking for interesting little bits of gear like this, where did you get yours?

Back