Alternative Uses for Digital Cameras

As many of you know i'm a huge proponent of Real analog synths. However there are many draw backs to them, and the biggest one I can think of is lack of memory. So to compensate for the lack of patch storage on my Roland SH-101, I started taking pictures of my settings with my digital camera and then store it on my hard drive. Yes it's lo-tech, but it works.

i used to do that with a polaroid on my mixing boards.Good idea i might have to do that till i get a bigger mixing deck.....but its too hard to find one that i like............oh well

that's too funny. i've started doing that as well. the other thing i'm working on is a template that i can print out and write down values off stuff. that i can keep in a notebook for quick access.

I was thinking of using an excel spreadsheet originally, but I'm too lazy to write all the settings down. So I figured the camera would be better. So for around $300 you can add a patch memory to your 101

that's pretty cool. some manuals have a template you can copy, though i guess it's only an issue for older synths... i just have folders and folders of midi dumps, split for pads, leads, basses, etc.

= chiisu

HAHAHAHA don't have to worry bout either probs. All digital synths in my rig, and I don't use an analog console anymore. I have found the secret to life. Plug all your inputs directly into a sound card or a series of cards that are able to be stacked like that, and then get either a Houston, Logic Control, Or Sac2K, and use that with a DAW program's mixer. Everything is saved down to the knob positions and active buttons. And either sysex or patches for sound parameters.

I have found the secret to life. Plug all your inputs directly into a sound card or a series of cards

I have a MOTU 24i sound card with 24 quarter inch inputs. I do exactly what you do and I love it. It completely simplifies my life. However, if you don't have a true analog synth in your rig, your really missing out. With my Juno I have no problem because it's midi, but my SH101 isn't and I have to use a bloody MIDI/CV converter, so I can't do a sysex dump. Thats the price you pay for warm sound.

Back