alternative to Nova?

Bongo Fiend

I swear by my trusty desktop Nova Novation module! Great interface, great sounds. I use it for trance/house/techno style productions - lead synths and wacky effects - and some great "fat" techy basslines.

I am beginning to yearn for more multi-timbrality, as it only offers 6 independent voices at the same time. However I don't want to ditch the Nova, so I'm thinking of getting another module, preferably a reasonably compact rack-mountable one.

I want:

* at least 4-6 voices of multi-timbrality, and good polyphony, preferably with multiple independent outputs like the Nova;
* ideally 3U or less rack space;
* something like a Nova, i.e. a virtual-analogue style thing;
* highly programmable/powerful like the Nova;
* something that receives & transmits sysex style MIDI messages for realtime control, like the Nova does;
* but not a Nova!
* willing to spend up to around £700 new (which is roughly what my Novation cost) but hopefully less!

The Supernova II looks like the kind of thing I'm after but a bit out of my price range ... plus I really don't feel like I should be getting another Nova!

Any suggestions?

Virus B or C desktop with optional rack ears.
Less expensive than the Supernova II ánd much better sound.

what THM said
the waldorf µQ is good too, it has a sound so it's up to you if you like it or not, I use mine with sound diver and it kicks ass

Why the desktop version (with optional rack ears) ?

=> more features
=> easier to tweak (knobs !!) - the "Virus Rack" only has a few knobs

Back