Alpha Juno vs. JX series

DonaldCrunk

resident knobrocker
Okay, so i've had an Alpha Juno for quite a while. I really really like it - and i don't even use the hoover bass that much. I'm used to editing on it, i'm used to the alpha dial (you give mine a flick, and it spins around like 50 times - my eyes light up with little <3s) and i generally like the Roland late 80s DCO sound.

I'd like a keyboard that has that same Roland DCO sound, but more powerful in terms of polyphony and parameters that can be edited without use of a PG programmer. My question is this - How close is the JX series (specifically the JX8P) to the Alpha Juno in terms of sound and interface?

I'd love to hear from people that have one or the other. if possible. kthxbi.

I think the JX8P is as hard as the Alpha to program without a PG controller. It uses a different one though. The JX also only has 6 voices, just like the junos, it has a second DCO though.

If you want something that's easier to program, you could always get a 106.

No, i'm used to the programming on the alpha series. i kind of like it.

Plus, 106s are going for like OVER 500 dollars on the bay right now, which is just retarded.

wow!

I got mine for $80 at a pawn shop. I don't really keep up with going ebay prices, I like someone I can haggle with and pay cash.

What are your concerns with the interface exactly then?

The main reason I like the juno's interface is that I can actually change a synth sound from the sound on one song right to the next song live in just a few seconds. I love to transition like that, and it's easy thanks to the interface on the 106, it's honestly the best interface that I've ever used for any synth. But what are you looking for, because I wouldn't see the JX providing many new options in that area over the alpha without the PG.

Kojak said:
wow!

I got mine for $80 at a pawn shop. I don't really keep up with going ebay prices, I like someone I can haggle with and pay cash.

What are your concerns with the interface exactly then?

The main reason I like the juno's interface is that I can actually change a synth sound from the sound on one song right to the next song live in just a few seconds. I love to transition like that, and it's easy thanks to the interface on the 106, it's honestly the best interface that I've ever used for any synth. But what are you looking for, because I wouldn't see the JX providing many new options in that area over the alpha without the PG.

i have no concerns over the interface so long as the JX series isn't too different from the Alpha. I don't want to relearn the thing. This synth is going to get _severerly_ processed (probably mostly in a live context) and looped using various rackmount devices, and i'll probably be too busy with the FracRack system to be doing any tweaking on my board.

Anyway, i don't know how the JX sounds compared the the Alpha series. Thicker sounding oscs'? Thinner sounding? Sterile filter?

and yeah, there is no way i'd ever get a 106 off of ebay either, but it's a good 'dipstick' for a synthesizers current popularity.

My other option is a SQ80 i believe.

I think JX would be easier to edit. With alpha we have to use the same single dial for parameter selection and data entry. JX-8P has dedicated parameter buttons, and with the data slider, it would be much easier.

The sounds are different. JUNO has just one oscillator, but the sub oscillator is a powerful means to fatten the things up. JX has no PWM and sub-OSC, but the interaction between the 2 oscillators makes much deeper, complex sounds.

I have some .mp3 sound examples of Super JX and Alpha JUNO on my site. There are also SQ-80 sounds made by my friend.
http://homepage.mac.com/synth_seal/html/

Last edited by a moderator:
Sealed said:
I think JX would be easier to edit. With alpha we have to use the same single dial for parameter selection and data entry. JX-8P has dedicated parameter buttons, and with the data slider, it would be much easier.

The sounds are different. JUNO has just one oscillator, but the sub oscillator is a powerful means to fatten the things up. JX has no PWM and sub-OSC, but the interaction between the 2 oscillators makes much deeper, complex sounds.

I have some .mp3 sound examples of Super JX and Alpha JUNO on my site. There are also SQ-80 sounds made by my friend.
http://homepage.mac.com/synth_seal/html/

excellent excellent excellent.

thank you, i have visited your page a few times during my tenure at HC and always found it helpful.

once again, it was.

Thank you, DonaldCrunk!
I want a JX-8P if only space permits. It's a well designed and neatly packaged synth keyboard.

Back