AKAI MPK25 or AKAI MPK mini?

Raptor1211

Hey guys. I was wondering which one of those two should I get? I never had a Midi keyboard before, so this is going to be my first one if I get. I have watched a lot of videos about them and they look really good!
I really like the AKAI mpk25 but it's a bit expensive for me. Is the AKAI mpk mini going to do the same job or at least almost the job as the AKAI mpk25? Because it's missing the wheels and it looks really small. I would use it with FL Studio or Reason.
What do you think?

Hey guys. I was wondering which one of those two should I get? I never had a Midi keyboard before, so this is going to be my first one if I get. I have watched a lot of videos about them and they look really good!
I really like the AKAI mpk25 but it's a bit expensive for me. Is the AKAI mpk mini going to do the same job or at least almost the job as the AKAI mpk25? Because it's missing the wheels and it looks really small. I would use it with FL Studio or Reason.
What do you think?

The mini-keys on the MPK mini aren't nearly as good as the ones on KORG's microKEY.

Either,

A) Go for what you like and find a way to afford it, or

B) Go for what you can afford and try to find a way to like it.

Personally, I try to be an "Option A" kind of guy, at least when it comes to my hobbies, work, and other priorities.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Last edited:
I'm still wondering what to do. The Korg's MicroKey that you've mentioned looks good and the price is similar to the AKAI MPK Mini but isn't the Korg missing more things? But I probably don't need those pads to produce EDM?

I'm still wondering what to do. The Korg's MicroKey that you've mentioned looks good and the price is similar to the AKAI MPK Mini but isn't the Korg missing more things? But I probably don't need those pads to produce EDM?

Sounds to me like you wanted the MPK 25, and your only reason to consider other options is that you can't afford it yet. If this is the case, I would suggest saving up for that one.

I've owned or used most of the modern commercially available MIDI controllers around, including the MPK, MPK Mini, and KORG microKEY.

With regards to the MPK Mini vs microKEY:

The MPK Mini has very cheap-feeling keys compared with the microKEY. They're not horrible (pretty standard quality for micro keys), and in fact feel very similar to the keys on KORG's micro-series before they introduced the drastically different "Natural Feel" keybed a long time ago. They feel like the keys on the microKONTROL (http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/quality,85/lrg_microkontrol-f79331b04b74038364bbd46de02628f8.jpg) I used to own ages ago. With that said, though, they're just not nearly as playable as the microKEY's keys.

The drum pads on the MPK Mini have a large gap of air between the base of the pad and the sensor. I assume the pads were built this way to mitigate the inevitable quality control issues that arise with the use of cheap parts -- this way, there's no accidentally activation of sensors which were never hit. I'm accustomed to the very sensitive pads of the KORG padKONTROL and NI Maschine, so I found myself missing notes frequently from not hammering the pads on the MPK Mini hard enough. Seriously, hitting these pads in public hard enough to register a hit causes everyone to turn and stare at you.

The knobs on the MPK mini met my expectations. They're not bad.

The MPK Mini is also very, very portable. The MicroKEY, on the other hand, requires a slightly larger-sized backpack to carry -- it has 37 keys rather than 25. Which reminds me, I hate 25-key limitations. Pain in the ass, even for "non-musician" types -- its just BAAARELY too small.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Sounds to me like you wanted the MPK 25, and your only reason to consider other options is that you can't afford it yet. If this is the case, I would suggest saving up for that one.

I've owned or used most of the modern commercially available MIDI controllers around, including the MPK, MPK Mini, and KORG microKEY.

With regards to the MPK Mini vs microKEY:

The MPK Mini has very cheap-feeling keys compared with the microKEY. They're not horrible (pretty standard quality for micro keys), and in fact feel very similar to the keys on KORG's micro-series before they introduced the drastically different "Natural Feel" keybed a long time ago. They feel like the keys on the microKONTROL (http://cachepe.zzounds.com/media/quality,85/lrg_microkontrol-f79331b04b74038364bbd46de02628f8.jpg) I used to own ages ago. With that said, though, they're just not nearly as playable as the microKEY's keys.

The drum pads on the MPK Mini have a large gap of air between the base of the pad and the sensor. I assume the pads were built this way to mitigate the inevitable quality control issues that arise with the use of cheap parts -- this way, there's no accidentally activation of sensors which were never hit. I'm accustomed to the very sensitive pads of the KORG padKONTROL and NI Maschine, so I found myself missing notes frequently from not hammering the pads on the MPK Mini hard enough. Seriously, hitting these pads in public hard enough to register a hit causes everyone to turn and stare at you.

The knobs on the MPK mini met my expectations. They're not bad.

The MPK Mini is also very, very portable. The MicroKEY, on the other hand, requires a slightly larger-sized backpack to carry -- it has 37 keys rather than 25. Which reminds me, I hate 25-key limitations. Pain in the ass, even for "non-musician" types -- its just BAAARELY too small.

-Ki
Salem Beats

Thanks for the reply/advice man! I might go for the MicroKey :)
And it probably works with Reason, FL Studio, Pro tools, right? Just plugging it with the USB.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply/advice man! I might go for the MicroKey :)
And it probably works with Reason, FL Studio, Pro tools, right? Just plugging it with the USB.

Yeah, it's a class-compliant MIDI controller -- you just hook it in and enable it in your DAW. No drivers required.

There's some software you can opt to download if you want to, say, change the velocity response curve.

FWIW, I sold my microKEY about a year ago when I stopped making music on-the-go, but I bought another new one just this past month along with a Maschine Mikro in order to get back into making some music while out-and-about.

I think if your plan is to go to the coffee shop with some headphones and a laptop then go for the mini but if not then definitely don't settle just because of price because there are some great features on the Mpk25 that may want to use later on. That's my advice. Good luck.
Jazzydrewproductions
On soundcloud

Back