With $600, what would be the best thing for me to get????

I'm seeing some Roland Fantom S for good prices. Would that also be a good keyboard to get?? Which one is easier to learn....Motif 6 or Roland Fantom S?

TrackMagic_Music said:
I'm seeing some Roland Fantom S for good prices. Would that also be a good keyboard to get?? Which one is easier to learn....Motif 6 or Roland Fantom S?

Fantom is easier to learn. The way that Yamaha goes about doing things is convuluted at best... but once you learn the Yamaha way, it all makes sense! I started my music career with Yamaha gear, so it's what I knew. BUT, once you learn one way wheteher it be Roland, Yamaha or Korg, learning anything else is pretty easy. Just apply what you've learned. Basically, the Yamaha is more organic sounding but harder to get started... The Fantom is a bit easier to use but a bit mroe compressed sounding. Most Roland ROMplers that I've owned were that way. Not necessarily a bad thing though depending on your style.

In review: If you see either or, go for it. Both of them will do what you need to. I just personally prefer Yamaha. Especially with the AN expansion.

Last edited:
i own a Triton, but I would advise a motif or fanthom for you. Leaning more toward motif, but I assume it is a bit more difficult to learn at first compared to Roland...Either way, it will be a bit of a learning curve going from FL, but once you get the hang of it, you'll be able to use any workstation...But your best bet is to get one workstation or another and synce FL with it and you'll be killing it!

It will be a HUGE learning curve, and a HUGE step back, since almost any software sequencer is much more easier and informative then a hardware one. I have a FantomX, never used it as a sequencer(I meen a tryied but...), just as a midi controller and a huge soundbank (which I actually hardly use). If I was you I would get FL 6 (7 is really buggy I have it but I prefer FL6 since nothing major has changed),Trilogy for Basses, A lot of free VST's for leads some VST's for Piano, Kontakt or Intakt + several [AKAI] libraries with stringz and guitars and a Waves Bundle Pack. I don't know how much would this setup cost in your country but I would defenetly do so

Just wait 5 days and get Reason 4, it's sick. I just installed it and played with it for a few hours. The Thor synth in it is awesome.

I'm selling all my hardware now. I also have Logic Studio, so between those two I have a TON of options. I'm gonna save up and get myself a copy of Komplete and then I should really be set for good.

Back