1st synth for a newbi poll...

Which analog or VA synth to start on? (around $500 used)

• Yamaha AN1x

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • Korg MS2000

• Roland Juno 106

• Roland JP8000

Votes: 2 10.0%
  • Novation K Station

Votes: 4 20.0%
  • Something else

Votes: 5 25.0%
  • You suck...quit!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
P

pipEr

OK guys, I've kinda got it narrowed down to a couple of synths to blow $500 on....used of course. Tell me which one I should get. I love warm, fatty, analog....especially for nasty bass lines. But, also like smooth strings, piano, and ****e.
Thanks for your input!

piper

Bear in mind that a VA will NEVER do an even half realistic sounding piano. You need a Rompler for that (Roland JVx080 or XVx080 for example).

1) ukcoolat is absolutely right; you'll never get a real acoustic piano sound out of a (virtual) analog synth;
but for fat analog basses, leads, pads and more you have to choose a (virtual) analog synth

2) I voted for a Juno-106, but let me clear this:

* K-Station:
not yet on 2nd hand market, new: $600 or more

* JP-8000:
more than $900 on 2nd hand market

* Juno106:
don't pay more than $350 !!
the usual current 2nd hand price is $250-$350
best (and lowest price) option I think

Peace !! :cheers:

So, you think I should go with the Juno? Remember, I'm a total rookie, and I noticed that alot of big acts have a Juno in their setup, so it seems like a good place to start.
On the other hand, it's apparent that I will ultimately need more than one keyboard for the sounds I want, so I want something that does it's own job REALLY well, and won't have to be replaced. SO....I'm gonna go with the phatty analog first, and worry about piano's and stuff later...Which one is best for me now?

Remember...FAT, CREAMY, EVIL ANALOG BASS lINES.

I also voted for the Juno. Not only does it sound great, but it's a great synth to learn about synthesis on! When you do eventually get more advanced synths, they'll be much easier to use if you've got a basic idea of how synthesizers create and modify sounds.

Take a Minimoog.
THE FATTEST ANALOG BASS-SYNTH EVER !!
(only $2.000 :( :( )

No, serious:
get a Juno 106 now, and get yourself a sampler later (lots of cd-roms with good piano sounds or whatever, but an awesome real analog sounding never comes from a sampler)

P.S.: please do not shoot me when I'm wrong !!

I wouldn't go for the Juno as a first synth. You're not going to get any crazy sounds out of it, it's pretty limited. You need an effects processor to go with it. It sounds great, but don't expect too much out of it when you get it.

It's a synth that needs to have other synths around it.

Go down to Guitar Center or Mars and see which one of those VA's you like best. Something with more knobs than menus would be you best bet for a first synth.

And THM, there's a Minimoog clone out called the Macbeth M3X. http://www.macbethstudiosystems.com/

People are saying it sounds exactly the same..

Baloney Feet said:
I wouldn't go for the Juno as a first synth. You're not going to get any crazy sounds out of it, it's pretty limited. You need an effects processor to go with it. It sounds great, but don't expect too much out of it when you get it.

That sounds like a good alternative. Getting the Juno for about $250, then buying yourself an Effects unit to fatten up the sound.

But remember, is this really what you want? These are all monotimbral synths (almost), that means that you can only sequence one sort of sound at a time.

If you get a multimbral synth you don't have to record every bass line, every melody etc until you reach the final stages of mixing and such!

The ms2000 is a really nice machine if you like more experimental basslines (it's also extreamly good at ordinary phAt basslines). It's much more inspiring to work with than the juno.. by fAR even! It's also nice to use as an effect box.

I think the best newbie V.A. Synth would have to be a Nord Lead 2 it is sooooo easy to get good sounds out of. Second hand prices are not too bad and its also a great midi controller!

d.c.

Personaly I think a Juno would be a nice start but you do need other gear before a whole tune can be made, thats why I would not go for a VA synth just yet. My choice at your stage would be to get a good sounding digital synth like a Roland XP 30 but as aware you only have $500 so maybe a JV1080 with a marster keyboard this would enable you to make all kinds of music to a high standard. A jv2080 would be better if you could get one as it easer to program.

Need any demos let me know.

PS: Nice new look to this forum. :cheers:

Last edited:
In terms of aesthetics I think the MS2000(R) is one of the most badly designed synths of recent years...

First the metal panel is flimsy and that paint doesn't as though it could last more than a few years without major cosmetic damage.

The wooden ends..."coo look its like those old synths from the 1970's".....well it aint a synth from the 70's - get real and don't put crap wooden ends on a modern instrument. (Would you put the steering whell from a Ford T1 (first car ford ever built) onto your Porsche just because the Ford T1 was the first mass produced car built??)

The control knobs are awful - Really minute and therefore difficult to operate in realtime (especially on stage in dark conditions) - This kinda defeats the object of having so many knobs.

The Step Sequencer light buttons....EUURRRGHHHH. They look really out of place - and they have a horrible action to them.

These may seem like petty complaints but how hard would it be to get it right? I have massive respect for korgs ability to produce good synths (indeed I have an ancient Korg Delta here in the studio and a Korg Trinity V3), and when i heard of the MS2000 i was so excited until I actually got to see one. I was dissapointed - and when I heard it?....it didn't raise my eyebrows.

Rant over....As you were.

Back