Zoom Sampletrak?

epicflow

Hey guys, Im looking for a sampler thats really cheap but good at the same time. I saw the zoom sampletrak on ebay for only about $100, so I just wanted to ask some owners of this machine what are the limitations, and what are the similarities between this and an mpc. I mean I know there both samplers, but hows the sequencer on this baby. I also was wondering if any of you guys could post some videos of it in action, and explaining its sequencer.

no one lol? I just wanted to add if anyone has any experiance with the eps 16 plus.

Last edited:
Sequencer is not as good, but the sampler itself has a lot more character.
If your looking to get that old school sound, the Zoom will do that very well.
It even does that great sp1200 detuned grit sound.
Making sequences is just as easy as an mpc, but song mode is where it lacks.
So tracking you sequences into daw software, and arranging them there is probably your best bet.

Thanks man, I have Acid, so tracking out and sequencing will be no problem. And oh yea, any idea how old this thing is, cause i was sure there would be some videos on youtube, but no luck finding anything. And i was also wondering how the pads are. Are they plasticy lol, or are they made of rubber and have a decent feel to them.

Last edited:
lol, tbh, I want it to, but before i can buy I want to make sure if there is anything I need to know about it. Its going to be first hardware sampler.

The sampletrak is great. Theres really only 3 things that I would consider limiting on it.

1) Only holds 24 samples at once.
2) about one minute of sample time.
3) No way to chain sequences.

But the rest of the features more than make up for it. This machine is definately worth it.

epicflow said:
Thanks man, I have Acid, so tracking out and sequencing will be no problem. And oh yea, any idea how old this thing is, cause i was sure there would be some videos on youtube, but no luck finding anything. And i was also wondering how the pads are. Are they plasticy lol, or are they made of rubber and have a decent feel to them.

It came out in 1999, and was produced for a few years after that.
I should make a video. If I have time, I will. There are little to no vids on the sampletrak.
The pads feel nice, and are made of rubber similar to what is on my Trigger finger.
They are not velocity sensitive, so to add velocity I just copy a sample to another pad with a different volume.

Dj Frantic said:
1) Only holds 24 samples at once.
2) about one minute of sample time.
3) No way to chain sequences.

Actually the sampler itself can hold 32 samples, but only 24 are available at any given time, since there are only 8 pads x 3 pad banks.

The sampling time can be more or less depending on the quality used, and if it is stereo, or mono.
I prefer using 16khz in mono which gives you 2 minutes.
You can chain sequences....Kinda.......well......... you can re-sample sequences, and assign them to pad locations, and trigger them as samples during 1 long sequence (kinda like Ableton Live).

I did this for a long time, and made lots of beats that way, but when people started wanting beats tracked out, I had to change my workflow.

Last edited:
Man you should mos deff do a video on it. Ive been scouring youtube for a video on it, but theirs nothing. I want to see this thing in action. And oh yea, thanks mattman for the help, i really apreciate it.

lvngdead said:
I can't figure out if I should keep the sampletrak or the sp 505.

Your probably best off keeping both. Neither machines are worth alot of money 2nd hand. Probably better just to keep em both ! :D

Dj Frantic said:
Your probably best off keeping both. Neither machines are worth alot of money 2nd hand. Probably better just to keep em both ! :D

Agreed. They just aren't worth much second hand.
You probably could not even make a used car payment with the profits, lol.
After selling one of those, you might kick yourself, and say "dang I wish I would have kept that one".
Now mpc's on the other hand.......They bring enough to make a house payment!:p :cheers: ;)

I got two sampletraks and one sp 505. If I can sell all three of them, then that should be grocery money for 3-4 months while I'm in college.

And I don't spend $200 a week on groceries like you fools. I do it the 3rd world way, $20 every week.

lvngdead said:
I got two sampletraks and one sp 505. If I can sell all three of them, then that should be grocery money for 3-4 months while I'm in college.

And I don't spend $200 a week on groceries like you fools. I do it the 3rd world way, $20 every week.

3rd world way would probably be more like $10 a week...so I guess your rockin middle class 3rd world :)

pshhh, mud huts is some last millenia ****. I got them tin huts, baby. **** gets crazy when it rains though. Be feelin' like a blitzkreig.

Back