Worst sampler you have owned?

we've used the MPC2000, 2000XL, Roland Sp-202, Sp-808, various software samplers (but do they really count?) I mean, we even used windows sound recorder as a sampler before we had an actual sampler. Even with that, we did some pretty cool shit.

if something is crashing and destroying your progress, then obviously its a problem, but ive never had that experience and have enjoyed each and every samplers unique characteristics. I guess for the sake of an answer, the worst sampler I ever used was windows sound recorder.

I didn't enjoy the 6 months I spent with the MPC500 either... Workflow in comparison to Maschine was laborious.

Luckily, they hold their value quite well... I actually made a profit on what I paid for it.

I didn't enjoy the 6 months I spent with the MPC500 either... Workflow in comparison to Maschine was laborious.

Luckily, they hold their value quite well... I actually made a profit on what I paid for it.

My mpc experience spans only the original 2000, and the 500.
Workflow speed wise is similar. Maybe a tad faster with 500 actually.
Learning curve with no prior mpc experience might be a bit too much for some.
I only had trouble with the file system though.
Everything else was fairly easy to access, and when you get to know it, it's fairly quick.
I had an old school introduction to samplers though, and chopping by ear with a casio sk-5 is how I started.
By comparison the 500 chops samples pretty nice. Actually it's sample chopping workflow is about the same as the s900 I had once upon a time.

had a Yamaha TX16W briefly. The nightmare that is the OS for this thing is legendary for being difficult to use and the crappy interface definitely didn't help either.

Also had a Roland JS30. Mono sampling only, editing samples was a royal pain, and no floppy drive for storage. You had to invest in a SCSI drive of some sort in order to really do anything with it. I had a SCSI ZIP100 and 1X SCSI Apple CDROM drive for mine. The sequencer was absolute trash and the pads aren't really pads, they're hard buttons with no velocity sensitivity. Even with everything bad about it, I'd gladly take the JS30 over another TX16W.

The built in sampler on the Korg DDD-1 drum machine from the late 80's. Only 2 secs of sample time with no editing. The sample would stay on the machine and eventually degrade down to noise. It taught me how to think and be creative. I guess that's why when I got the Asr 10, I never expanded the sampling time.

Back