Why is SCSI Important?

S

stogie21

I was thinking about getting a akai s20 sampler and the only weakness it had that their was no scsi. i understand what scsi is on a computer, but do you need one on a sampler. do you connect it to a hardrive. :rolleyes: I sound pretty dumb, but i know you guys can help me out.:confused:

Yea, it allows you to connect the sampler to a HD to store samples, or to a ZIP drive for the same reason. You can attach CD-ROM drives to read samples directly from the CD's - and you can connect it to the computer to allow fast editing of samples in the sampler (Ak.sys software).

Or....any combination of the above!

the Akai S20 is only a phrase sampler, meaning that it's main purpose is to sample short phrases and allow you to chop it up into smaller phrases, edit, loop, etc... and trigger what you come up with. Since the stuff you'd be using wouldn't take up too much memory, (most phrase samplers are only a few minutes of sampling time), you don't really need a high capacity storage device (which is really what you'd mostly need SCSI for.... access to high capacity storage). Now, I don't know if the S20 has some other storage device or something (smart media, zip drive, etc) but some way to store your stuff would be nice. (1.44 MB floppy would be too small though)

Actually nowaday some samplers have an USB option which allows you to use your computer as a complete part of the sampler (or the contrary heh)... you dont need any expensive SCSI hard drives or cdrom drives etc... you can drag and drop from the computer disks to the sampler's memory, etc... pretty sweet

Yea and since USB is a bit trash really....they're got a new FIREWIRE port standard for audio/midi transfer. Theres an M-LAN (as its called) option for the Triton and some other Yamaha gear (CS6x and Motif work stations i think). It allows everything to go to and from the synth - midi, audio, editing commands etc - with just a single cable!

USB is slow , about 1/4 -1/10 th speed of SCSI.

Firewire , wow now you are talking.

Back