Who has "cloned" other synths to an ASR 10 format?

3D Beats

3rdstop.com
I really feel i'm not taking advantage of my asr 10 in this way. I basically have the ability to make it a much more powerful synth but only sample on it. I just go to reason as an easy out.

My first problem, no scsi. How much space do your sounds take up? If i can fit it on a disk, great, but i would imagine that if it's not multisampled, i may not be happy.

Do you actually set the loop points for sounds or just play something "long enough" so you don't have to deal with it. I'd love it with all the correct loop points but this could take me years lol.

Anyone just buy disks too? I don't mind not doing it myself if there is quality disks.

Is scsi going to really hold me back? If i have to load 5 disks to get one sound, i will probably just use something else.

Let me know your experience. I have messed around with some reason sounds with moderate success so far but never finish/save. No reason to spend alot of time when i can just use the source.

There is an art to using a sampler, but when it comes to creating samples it can be more of a science, and how you sample depends on what you sample, and how detailed you want the samples will be.

If you were multi sampling a piano then you would sample the sound with its natural decay and if you were making a detailed library you would sample different velocities and pedal dampening too.

When it comes to sampling most synth sounds you need to understand looping, most people think they can loop because the can cut a drum break and have a sequencer trigger its start point every time it hits a grid, well that ain't looping at all, that is just triggering.

If you look at this diagram I made, it shows that a 1 bar drum loop at a tempo 95 BPM will loop perfectly if it is cut to a length of 2.526 seconds.

SAMPCUT.jpg

If you can make a true loop with a drum break and learn to manipulate individual components of that break using the math then you are well on your way to understanding how to cut loop time to be a multiple of a modulation rate of a synth sound, and then how to work down to the frequencies themselves.

The idea is to loop a very short sound that will be sustained when pressed for a long period of time without detectable crossover points and not just because a 1.44MB floppy disk can only hold about 15 seconds of mono samples.

Because it is time consuming and you have to be nuts to do it properly, people will pay good money for quality sample sets.

Last edited:
hollandturbine said:
Because it is time consuming and you have to be nuts to do it properly, people will pay good money for quality sample sets.
Yeah, I know it would take me forever to do it by myself, i don't want to clone a whole synth, just some sounds. But realistically, time spent doing this compared to working more hours, especially including any learning curve, it might be cheaper to just buy a used rack.

Don't let my math talk put you off the idea, have a go at it without the math, you might find that your sounds will work out OK or you might make a happy accident or create a new sound.

hollandturbine said:
Don't let my math talk put you off the idea, have a go at it without the math, you might find that your sounds will work out OK or you might make a happy accident or create a new sound.
Yeah, it's just i don't have scsi so i can't just do longer samples and mess with ADSR. I have another sampler i use heavily with my asr 10 that has more ram and is hooked up to my HD. I'll have to mess with it when i get a chance. I'm too busy to make beats, much less samples right now lol. The reason why i "gravitated" towards your post is that it seems, from my experience, to be a very "honest" one.

Back