Went to the Guitar Center to demo the Fantom-X and....

G

GoGetta

Ok MaAn I was impressed wit the Fantom-X6 for realz it was nice! The color screen was nice, fx, onboard mixer, keys were nice on the X6 and the X8. I wasnt feelin the pads but if u have a mpc that probably wont matter much. I dont think the X piano blows the ES piano out of the water like someone on the site stated. My opinion I think the piano's were pretty close. But I do like the ES acoustic drum sounds better then the Fantom-X drums but If u have sample cd's and vinyl u will be ok. Most workstation's dont have good hip hop drums anyway. The samplin on the X is off the chain tho has alot of nice features in that area! I also liked that the X comes wit 32mb ram and 32mb flash rom right out the box that's nice to have fo sho! U can start samplin as soon as u take the X out the box! The ES doesnt come wit stock ram u have to buy ram for the ES but it doesnt cost much. The X has bigger knobs then the S knobs I like bit knobs like tits lmao! The ES has big knobs to tweak as well so that area is neck to neck. I thought the sounds from the X and the ES was pretty much neck to neck its a tough decision for someone to choose between the 2 mos def that would be a hard pick! I have the Motif ES6 but the Fantom-X did impress me to be real!

chazzo said:
how would you compare the synth sounds?
I'll tell you this one. ROland synth sounds are always better than other brands on their Romplers...but this is more due to the structure of the sound engine than the samples used to make the synths. Oh, and while the piano on the fantom X isn't quite the ES piano (it is so close though) the concert piano SRX card is the greatest piano sound on the market. Period. And the Fantom X can hold that card...so...

chazzo said:
how would you compare the synth sounds?

~Ya its a tough match up between the 2 workstations mos def! I have the Motif ES6 but I might trade it for the Fantom-X that's how much it impressed me!:bigeyes: Nothin is wrong wit the ES I was just feelin the X more my opinion but I dunno if Ima trade my Motif ES6 just yet for the Fantom-X6 tho!:monkey:

GoGetta said:

~Ya its a tough match up between the 2 workstations mos def! I have the Motif ES6 but I might trade it for the Fantom-X that's how much it impressed me!:bigeyes: Nothin is wrong wit the ES I was just feelin the X more my opinion but I dunno if Ima trade my Motif ES6 just yet for the Fantom-X6 tho!:monkey:

whats up gogetta

im gettin a fantom x soon i already played with it 3times already and i like it more in more its a good combo for my mv8000

for as piano sound nutthing will ever beat the real thing

fantom or motif

but far as sounds go that thing has alot i mean i got a triton and i don't really feel the pres on it at all
even no the neptunes used the **** out of them i just don't feel them
so you can say its there for the look lol
no fantom sounds i don't have to make sounds i luv all the pres and every time i touch it i can hear a beat for every sound on it even the most weak sound i can feel it i don't know why but i think im just gonna stay ridein roland d**k for a while they been good too me over the year

so here is gonna be my new set up

mv8000
fantom x6
roland sh-32
roland vs2480 dvd

and alot of records and sample cds
i have more gear but that is all my roland gear well it will be i have sold the mc909 to get the fantom so i hope i have it by next week lol

GoGetta said:

I have heard some of those piano patches, very nice indeed.

PtheGhost said:
hey mano u complain about my sig before, mine was like 5 lines, look at trustys

Are we in elementary school? Why are you snitching on people?

I recently bought the Fantom XR rack, super nice piece, it was between that and the motif rack and after playing both of them back to back for about two hours I walked with the roland.

MPC 1000
ROLAND XV-5080
ROLAND FANTOM XR
EMU HALO (KEYBOARD)
MACKIE 1202 VLZ PRO
M-AUDIO 2496
EVENT PS8'S
DBX 166XL COMPRESSOR
EDIROL UM880
AUDIO TECHNIQUE 4033 COMPRESSOR MIC
TECHNIQUE 1200'S

Lots of vinyl, loads of software, and lots of creativity

Last edited by a moderator:
Im seriously thinkin about tradin my Motif ES6 for the Fantom-X6 mos def! I will have to go demo the Fantom-X6 a couple more times just to make sure but on the first demo the Fantom-X6 surprised me!:bigeyes: Ya for me its out of the Motif ES6[which I already have] or the Fantom-X6 Im not feelin the Triton Extreme that much either! I will keep u all updated.:monkey:

Does the fantom xr have alot of the same patches as the 5080.(that's what I heard)

GoGetta said:
Im seriously thinkin about tradin my Motif ES6 for the Fantom-X6 mos def! I will have to go demo the Fantom-X6 a couple more times just to make sure but on the first demo the Fantom-X6 surprised me!:bigeyes: Ya for me its out of the Motif ES6[which I already have] or the Fantom-X6 Im not feelin the Triton Extreme that much either! I will keep u all updated.:monkey:
If you want to make the right decision, listen to the strings on the Fantom, then the strings on the Motif, and you'll make the right desicion. I like the piano sounds on the Fantom, but never touched a Motif. I'm gonna buy me a fantom x pretty soon, but I still wanna try out the Motif, but I will not change my mind. And, the drums are kinda weak on the Fantom, but maybe the Drum Expansion Card will help. Maybe. And the brass sounds are nice! While @ the guitar center, I made a perfect replica of the Rocky Theme Song. Boy was I happy. And I don't really like tritons, but I will be getting the Triton Pro for the sequencing, maybe.

Hope you make the right desicion.
:-)bat: Motif :angel: Fantom)

"Does the fantom xr have alot of the same patches as the 5080.(that's what I heard"

No the only sounds that I could tell were the same was the fx bank like the phone ring, gunshot, etc, and even then there are new fx sounds they just threw in the old ones there too. You cant lose either way, I'll end up coppin a motif rack eventually i'll probably just wait till they drop the next model which i hear should be in the fall.

I agree with Young Sketch on the drums being weak. They're not so bad after tweaking but it takes a bit of time. But at least the expansion packs take care of that and if that's not enough, there's always sampling.

I just got my fantom x 2 days ago. It's defintly worth it's price. It has a lot of hidden power. I only wish it was easier to use samples, loops, and for patterns and performances.

I have the Motif ES6 but I might trade it for the Fantom-X that's how much it impressed me!

Yo thats a big statement...let me know what you come up with....

The fantom x is def a hot piece...

kybeats said:
I have the Motif ES6 but I might trade it for the Fantom-X that's how much it impressed me!

Yo thats a big statement...let me know what you come up with....

The fantom x is def a hot piece...

~Kybeats ya I was about to make that move but the Motif ES6 overall won the battle in my opinion so Im keepin my Motif ES mos def!:D I guess the 1st time I demo'd the fantom-x the screen had grab my attention but on the 2nd and 3rd demo I wasnt feelin the fantom-x sounds that much. The Motif ES acoustic sounds are nice! Just my 2 tho. If yur lookin for a workstation fo sho go demo it in person at yur local music store for ya self! Many peeps told me the fantom-x was the workstation to get but I was feelin the Motif ES more! So its cool to get opinions from other producers on da site but at the end of the day u will have to make yur own decision!:cheers:

Ayo GoGetta,

I was thinking about getting a Motif ES but I already have a Triton and don't need 2 keyboards. I have been playing with Motif alot this past week. I'm really wait for Yamaha to release the rack version of the ES. That would kill sales for them. If they don't then I guess I'll have to get 2 keyboards. lol

fyi- I bought the triton in 99 when it first came out. I bought the studio version last summer. Despite the Motif vs. Fantom vs. Triton war goes, I think that they are all incredible boards but I like the triton...thats what I use. That thing does soo much more then people realize-I'm sure they all do. The last few weeks I haven't made any tracks....I've been creating new sounds...CRAZY

Back