trigger finger vs mpd16

Cap'n Crunk

which should i get? i heard the feel of the trigger is a little different than akai. i already have ableton, so the live lite dosen't matter to me. i'm going to be using this for producing as well as live performances (meaning that the extra knobs and sliders on the trigger finger are a plus). which one lasts longer? what would you get and why?

thanks,
teh capn

I would get the Akai, but then i always choose quality over features :) btw. the Akai has the same pad assembly as an MPC 2000/3000/60

are you judging the quality on the name or the product? i've seen more people rocking out the trigger fingers btw..

Ive also seen a lot more people driving Hyundais, Daeoos and cheap cars than Mercs! Does that make Korean cars better?

Just a thought :)

stop teh analogies. it's not like teh trigger finger is cheaper. so answer my question, is the trigger finger of lower quality than the mpd? if the names weren't a factor, which would be better?

I dont have a mpd, but I do gotta a trigger finger. The TF is sturdy as hell and I dont have a need for anyother other midi pads. You really cant go wrong with either

BUT the TF has 16 diffrent configurations you can set up, verse the MPD's 4.

Well, i would go for the MPD24 given a choice. That has more sliders and knobs than a trigger finger (i guess - although i havent counted them)....

And you have the name :)....

Seriously, Akai gear is very good - all of my Akai stuff has stood the test of time very well.

i like the MPD16 alot. though the drivers crash my comp for some reason. the mpd24 is prolly better.

never really used the trigger finger.

I've heard of many MPD16 users complaining about the usb connection going bad after awhile and that the pads are inferior to the MPC's. The MPD24 is a different thing altogether. That one is of higher quality than the MPD16 and has better pads, supposedly.

I personally rock a Korg PadKontrol, and I love it.

BTW, MPD16 is the "cheapest" of all of them.

sammyb90 said:
And you have the name :)....

Seriously, Akai gear is very good - all of my Akai stuff has stood the test of time very well.

A "name" can be over-rated. I know Akai has a great track record when it comes to samplers. But we're talking low-cost midi controllers here. They are all about the same.

Talking about a name, the Trigger Finger is made by M-Audio, which is owned by Avid, who also owns Digidesign, who makes Pro-Tools. WOW... does it matter...NO!

Last edited:
Roger Linn works with M-audio now so I would go with the trigger finger if you want pads from the master, mpd16 are complete trash, the software sucks and the usb jack breaks quickly. The mpd24 and the Korg pad kontrol are also great choices.

My roommate has an MPC1000 and a Trigger Finger, he uses the hell out of 'em both. The TF is a fine product and the extra presets do come in handy.

Back