Suggestions for a good MIDI Interface to use with MPC 2500

B

Bwes84

I'm looking for something with at least 3 ins and outs. Thanks

Bwes84 said:
I'm looking for something with at least 3 ins and outs. Thanks

How about a midiman/m-audio Midisport 4x4 - i picked up mine for cheap from the 'bay. People have reported problems with theirs - but im running 3 of them side by side into my pc for a 12x12 configuration with no problems.

Also Edirol make a 3x3 interface i think.

Otherwise you could check out MOTU stuff - they make some nice 8x8 interfaces.

My one piece of advice is - never underestimate the number of channels you'll need in the future. If i were to do it again, id buy a couple of 8x8 interfaces. Right now you'll survive with a 3x3 or a 4x4 - but think in a years time if you buy more gear, you'll need to replace it.

Good luck.

sammyb90 said:
How about a midiman/m-audio Midisport 4x4 - i picked up mine for cheap from the 'bay. People have reported problems with theirs - but im running 3 of them side by side into my pc for a 12x12 configuration with no problems.

Also Edirol make a 3x3 interface i think.

Otherwise you could check out MOTU stuff - they make some nice 8x8 interfaces.

My one piece of advice is - never underestimate the number of channels you'll need in the future. If i were to do it again, id buy a couple of 8x8 interfaces. Right now you'll survive with a 3x3 or a 4x4 - but think in a years time if you buy more gear, you'll need to replace it.

Good luck.

Do you mind me asking what kind of setup requires 12 midi ins and outs? I love the functionality of midi and am curious of what is complicated enough to require that many channels.

Whiteboy954 said:
Do you mind me asking what kind of setup requires 12 midi ins and outs? I love the functionality of midi and am curious of what is complicated enough to require that many channels.

Sure..my kit list is

1x Access Virus
1x Novation A Station
1x Yamaha TX81z
1x Korg M3r
1x Roland JV880
1x Roland JV1080
1x Novation Drum Station
1x Control Synthesis DB9
1x Akai S5000
1x Akai S2000
1x Akai S900
1x Akai MPC 2000xl
1x Yamaha FB01
1x Yamaha DX27
1x Kawai K1
1x Quasimidi Sirius
1x Alesis QS6
1x Siel DK80 (keyboard)
1x Siel DK80 (module)
1 x EMU Planet Phatt

<plus a whole load of outboard and misc bits and pieces that need midi to drive them>

pumping through the midi interfaces previously mentioned into SX3

sammyb90 said:
Sure..my kit list is

1x Access Virus
1x Novation A Station
1x Yamaha TX81z
1x Korg M3r
1x Roland JV880
1x Roland JV1080
1x Novation Drum Station
1x Control Synthesis DB9
1x Akai S5000
1x Akai S2000
1x Akai S900
1x Akai MPC 2000xl
1x Yamaha FB01
1x Yamaha DX27
1x Kawai K1
1x Quasimidi Sirius
1x Alesis QS6
1x Siel DK80 (keyboard)
1x Siel DK80 (module)
1 x EMU Planet Phatt

<plus a whole load of outboard and misc bits and pieces that need midi to drive them>

pumping through the midi interfaces previously mentioned into SX3

Wow um....you're a certified gear fiend. Nice setup. Seems like the type of place you'd never run out of ideas in.

Whiteboy954 said:
Wow um....you're a certified gear fiend. Nice setup. Seems like the type of place you'd never run out of ideas in.

Yep... its good for inspiration. I'm definitely a gear junkie..... and a consumer of as many midi channels as i can lay my hands on.

On a more serious note, if you buy old gear at sensible prices - you'd be suprised how much bang for the buck u get compared to buying new stuff like Fantoms and Motifs.. I prefer older gear - cause i have that old skool vibe going on right now. If i see an older piece of kit on ebay going at a silly price - i snap it up. If i dont like it i sell it on for the same $$ or a little more.

Whiteboy954 said:

Well if you got some money to spend and get a SSL Duality Console they require 8 I/O's alone to control a DAW.

inferno-music said:
i checked out the motu midi express but im not sure if i can run it on an MV or even the MPC. it seems to only work when its connected to a computer?

Well all midi *interfaces* need a computer to run - by definition what they do is interface between all your midi gear and your pc sequencer.

They come in various flavours from 1x1 up to 8x8 and beyond, Normally with USB/serial port for the computer and MIDI ports for your gear.

sammyb90 said:
Yep... its good for inspiration. I'm definitely a gear junkie..... and a consumer of as many midi channels as i can lay my hands on.

On a more serious note, if you buy old gear at sensible prices - you'd be suprised how much bang for the buck u get compared to buying new stuff like Fantoms and Motifs.. I prefer older gear - cause i have that old skool vibe going on right now. If i see an older piece of kit on ebay going at a silly price - i snap it up. If i dont like it i sell it on for the same $$ or a little more.

Good advice. I'll have to remember that. I was only using midi to control battery with my mpc, but I've noticed there is a very slight lag, but when programming drums it throws me off. I'm using a 1x1 usb midiman at the moment. I will without a doubt be adding more midi capability in the future, can you recommend any hardware (midi or computer) (I'm running a P4 3.00 w/ 2 gb of ram on XP) that would eliminate lag or is it a consistent problem?

Whiteboy954 said:
Good advice. I'll have to remember that. I was only using midi to control battery with my mpc, but I've noticed there is a very slight lag, but when programming drums it throws me off. I'm using a 1x1 usb midiman at the moment. I will without a doubt be adding more midi capability in the future, can you recommend any hardware (midi or computer) (I'm running a P4 3.00 w/ 2 gb of ram on XP) that would eliminate lag or is it a consistent problem?

If you are using MIDI to control a soft synth - you'll always get lag related to latency (both from the soundcard and from the architecture/design of MIDI). Every time u do a step through midi thru, it will add a little bit of latency. Hence thats the reason almost every single piece of gear has its own dedicated MIDI I/O port in my setup. Its especially noticeable on drums (cause the timing has to be rock solid). Other instruments u can get away with, cause the timing isnt so critical.

One of the reasons that MPCs are so popular, is because the timing is SO tight. When using the internal (MPC) sequencer with the internal sampler - there is absolutely NO latency. Once u start triggering drums over a midi chain - then all sorts of problems occur. Try it and see.

If you have to trigger drums over MIDI, then always put your drum source at the start of the chain - never ever at the end.

I'm sure one day in the future i'll ditch my hardware for software (but that aint gonna happen soon tho) - but i will never ever ditch the MPC for this reason alone.

If you are after tight timing, then follow the advice above (use the internal MPC sampler with the MPC sequencer. Before i started building the setup i have now (i sold my original hardware studio many years ago - and the one i have now i've built up quite recently), i used to compose with soft synths. I had a similar PC to yours, and I could never get the latency down to an acceptable level (i had to work around it). I've got battery too - but its probably been 9 months since i even sniffed it; the MPC is all the drums i need now :)

Yea, after fiddling around for a few hours last night, going back and forth doing tests on latency between the mpc and using it to control battery I figured out there was no way I was going to be satisfied using battery. I think ill continue to use it to audition drum kits then assemble a kit for each track to load on the mpc. I can probably get away with using battery for longer samples and those with heavy attacks, but you're right, you can't beat the tight timing of the mpc.

One question, how do you have the mpc configured to sync with cubase and still use the internal mpc sequencer?

Thanks for the info btw.

Last edited:
you got MPC Editor? - that thing kicks ass for auditioning programs on your computer, then exporting them to the MPC

Whiteboy954 said:
Yea, after fiddling around for a few hours last night, going back and forth doing tests on latency between the mpc and using it to control battery I figured out there was no way I was going to be satisfied using battery. I think ill continue to use it to audition drum kits then assemble a kit for each track to load on the mpc. I can probably get away with using battery for longer samples and those with heavy attacks, but you're right, you can't beat the tight timing of the mpc.

One question, how do you have the mpc configured to sync with cubase and still use the internal mpc sequencer?

Thanks for the info btw.
via Tascam FW1884 and set the MPC as master to the cubase sequencer. So, when I hit 'play', 'stop' or 'record' on my Tascam... it's triggers Cubase and the MPC(midi out).

*It's late... I think that's how I do it.

MADMIXA the DJ said:
via Tascam FW1884 and set the MPC as master to the cubase sequencer. So, when I hit 'play', 'stop' or 'record' on my Tascam... it's triggers Cubase and the MPC(midi out).

*It's late... I think that's how I do it.

Hm...I think I got it. Wouldn't that make the tascam the master tho?

Back