Studio Monitors???

M

MUSIKFIEND

with A 200$ Limit Which Pair Of Studio Monitors Will Provide Me With The Most Bang 4 My Buck???

Argh...$200 will get you a decent used set, but brand new...$200 isn't really enough to get something worth it...I'd save up a few more hundred at least....I don't like the KRK's but for the money they're ok. I like the yammies (new set of Hs50M $400).

When faced with this decision, I bought used off ebay...I was looking to spend about $300. Got 2 sets of nice Tannoys and an amp for under 3.

Last edited:
I would save another couple hundred at least.

For your budget look into Alesis monitors.
They tend to have a rep for having a lil' extra low end, but that's better than no having enough.
I've heard some pretty solid mixing/mastering done with M1 mkii actives, and they can be found for around $250 with some looking around.
M-audio bx5's are in your range, and bx8's can be had for $350.
Tascam's vlx-5's have a great rep by the way, and are about $300 for a set.
If you have an amp already, you may be able to find a $300 set of Event 20/20's
So don't overlook the passive monitor route.
TBH using high end monitors in an untreated room isn't likely to yield results worth the money spent, unless you actually treat your room with bass traps, etc.
So take into consideration that average speakers in a great room will probably sound alot better than great speakers in a room with poor acoustics.

Last edited:
As Mattman has stated, if you have no acoustics then it really doesn't matter which set of monitors you get.

My advice at this budget and no treatment is to use a decent pair of semi cans like the Sennheiser HD 650s.
They are good for mixing and have a great range and response.

Better than a crap monitor in a crap environment.

Mattman04 said:
For your budget look into Alesis monitors.
They tend to have a rep for having a lil' extra low end, but that's better than no having enough.
I've heard some pretty solid mixing/mastering done with M1 mkii actives, and they can be found for around $250 with some looking around.
M-audio bx5's are in your range, and bx8's can be had for $350.
Tascam's vlx-5's have a great rep by the way, and are about $300 for a set.
If you have an amp already, you may be able to find a $300 set of Event 20/20's
So don't overlook the passive monitor route.
TBH using high end monitors in an untreated room isn't likely to yield results worth the money spent, unless you actually treat your room with bass traps, etc.
So take into consideration that average speakers in a great room will probably sound alot better than great speakers in a room with poor acoustics.
i have alesis monitors and the bass on them suck balls. I bought them for $200 3 years ago I am glad they don't sell them anymore because I got suckered good. I willnever buy another Alesis product again. I am looking into the Rokit 5s myself

Alesis is awesome. The fusion micron ion are sweet products. As are the io series. I have the passive 6'' monitor ones and the passive 10'' 3 way monitor twos. Both are sweet and have more than enough bass. I think I could have been your room acoustics.

Mine al sound sweet. Also had rp 5's and 8's prefer alesis over both. But then again each monitor is different and I know my monitors so my mixes sound decent on them.

I got Used (liked new), KRK Rokit 8 pair for $300,
great monitors, but they lack ALOT of Low end (compared to my previous m-audio bx8s and other spekers), I had to buy a subwoofer KRK Rokit 10s. because my mixes were too bass heavy on other systems, but all other frequencies were perfect.

the thing i like about them is that they let me hear all bad parts/frequencies in my mix.
If I make a mix sound good with these KRKs I can almost guarantee the my mix will sound good on ANY system. Also treating my room helped me a lot!

Last edited:
Xabiton said:
ive tried 5 different rooms 2 of which were treated same results.

What model do you have I have the m1 mark ii passives, and they seem pretty flat. Bass goes fairly low on them, but I often end up over doing the bass a lil' bit(my room is probably in part to blame).
The ones I hear are bass heavy are the m1 mark 2 actives, and the m1 520's.

Mattman04 said:
What model do you have I have the m1 mark ii passives, and they seem pretty flat. Bass goes fairly low on them, but I often end up over doing the bass a lil' bit(my room is probably in part to blame).
The ones I hear are bass heavy are the m1 mark 2 actives, and the m1 520's.
Proactive 2s I prefer these to the m series also. the high end is clearer but mine have no bass under 60hz i want something to atleast get me down to 55-50 so i can work with some bass

Thanks Everybody I Think Im gon get the Alesis M1 Active MKII? N E BODY got those???

Back