SP-404sx or SP-555 Experiences? (or other SPs)

ego killer

alright so i love samplers and grooveboxes, particularly the MPC 1000 which is my favorite sampler/sequencer i've used. never messed with any of the sps though. i'd like to hear from anyone who has used them, they seem pretty sick. i might get a used 404, 555, or 606.

Well, I have had everything under the sun. I have owned every hardware groovebox and or sampler known to man.
Some people on here are Software and some are Hardware, this has been a topic on this forum since the late 90’s. Personally I use both together, but, I would rather have the instant gratification of hardware and the stability that it offers. You don’t have to fuk with uninstalling and reinstalling drivers and deal with crashes and loosing data and all of that shit. The hardware is pretty straight forward and you almost never have to jump through hoops to get your inspiration out. Also, in order to use software you still need to use a controller anyway and at the prices of hardware these days; doesn’t it make sense to buy a controller that does more than just, Control?
Over the years I have had hardware that has sucked, (most notably the electribes) and stuff that is just cheesy like the older sp303. I have had groove boxes from everyone like the Yamaha rm1x (hard as hell to use but sounds awesome) and, Korg even all of the Roland groove boxes.The Mc 303 was pretty crappy (even at the time when it was introduced) but the rest of the MC lineup is pretty awesome, easy to use, and have that instant gratification thing worked out for you. I had an MPC 1000 for a brief time and they are just not my cup of tea because I’m not really much of a beat maker and I found it was too big of a pain in the ass for me to use. So, to me it’s a lot of money for a limited use machine, they are nice as hell, but seem very hard to use to quickly get your ideas out. The truth of the matter is, 99% of us are (with very few exceptions) in our spare bedrooms making music that will never be heard by anyone but us. The grand illusion that we need something overly complicated to make music that the masses will hear, is like living on planet la la. So over spending $3000 for a mic when you cant sing or $10,000 on Pro-Tools software and hardware you have no way of fully utilizing, is a complete waste of money for a personal trophy.
Bottom line, I personally love using hardware (I am very tactile and need knobs and buttons to twiddle with) control to make music and using Reason for the sound modules, effects, Kong for MPC like drum programming and Record to lay down tracks.

Back