so... ya think the Beat Thang is still a toy?

The truth is that the MPC and all other sequencer hardware (909, 808, their predecessors, all keyboard workstations) were a step in this direction.

In an age where most adults are assumed to own a computer (and most teens/children are assumed to at least have access to one), computer software is simply the new phase in production.

Old habits die hard, but at least we're not using rotary-dial phones anymore.

A computer sequencer allows you to use quality MIDI controllers in the same workflow as hardware, but with the added power of more/higher-quality sounds/synths and the ability to fix the timing of individual notes on-the-fly to salvage what would otherwise be an excellent take.

My opinion is that products that are a hybrid integration like Maschine, Kore, Cakewalk V Studio, etc are the future of production tools.

You move away from hardware limitations but still get the hands on feel. I would expect to see companies like Roland and Yamaha start moving more in that direction with the integration of their workstations and groove boxes.

Access Virus TI is a testament to the trend. Korg's workstations all pretty much integrate with software.

I used to be totally against software, but have come to see the advantages and the fact that I can usually do as much and many times more than I could with my hardware devices, and quicker.

As the midi controllers get smarter, there really is no difference between the two, except maybe the number of pieces required to operate.

Where an mpc can operate with itself and some speakers/headphones, software requires at least a laptop, headphones/speakers and possibly a midi controller (of course some can be operated with the keyboard). But other than that there really is a lot to be said for the current selection of software around.

I really think the more controllers can integrate with the software, the more the lines will be blurred between the two.

Last edited:
track record being looking back at everything I've covered previously, and the fact I was covering my experience with this product/company before they even introduced their affiliate system. Even after they did, it didn't change my coverage, to me it's nothin more than banners on a site, which of course, people don't have to click.

Irrelevant ads or not, I brought up google ads just to show the point of advertising on a site, I'm sure there are other ads on this site that aren't google generated, just like other major sites have banner space available for direct purchase. It's normal operation for a website.

carry on

After looking over some of the reviews on your website, it seems that we agree on quite a few things -- including the idea that a sound library like Sampletank can't possibly be "dated".

Out of curiosity, do you ever cover a product that you don't like? I can't find a "bad" review.

After looking over some of the reviews on your website, it seems that we agree on quite a few things -- including the idea that a sound library like Sampletank can't possibly be "dated".

Out of curiosity, do you ever cover a product that you don't like? I can't find a "bad" review.

honestly, I don't like to cover stuff I wouldn't personally use myself. I have turned down many product reviews simply because I thought they or the company weren't good.

Yet when it comes to a scam I will definitely post that.

I have covered scams as it relates to sound companies, one such company can still be found on the site, sonart.cc
http://soundsandgear.com/sonart-cc-...rovider-they-are-a-scam-do-not-buy-from-them/

they were offering a subscription of kontakt format instruments, I purchased it and soon found out it was pretty shady.

I've thought of posting more of the subpar products I've come across but the readers seem to enjoy knowing most of the stuff I post is useful in some way.

If I can't get into the product, it's hard for me to make a video showing it really lol...I get bored if I don't like it.

Calm down Salem...

@Salem - saintjoe seems like a nice guy to me who is doing a great job on his websites and I'm glad he made the beat thang fan site.

Seriously man - you were kind of rough there - anyone who took the time to read through the whole past conversation is probably thinking the same thing...

@saintjoe - Keep up the good work man.

Ever since I first saw this being advertised I thought, what a seriously bad choice for the naming of a product.
The name itself really closed a lot of marketing doors.
I'm not going to debate anything else but that was a very poor choice IMO. Without that "classification" name placing it in a narrow demographic, it could have been much more successful. I think I'm just being realistic here, but anyone who wasn't buying their first piece of hardware probably (for the most part) readily dismissed this.:hmmm:

Wow, a necro thread comes back to life.....
Quickly coming to mind are two great products that got overlooked because of the marketing a missed step early on.
The Alesis Fusion. I had that listed as a beast, but the first batch of presets were sort of bland....
Potential customers spent more time worrying about what it sounded like over what it could do. So it blew out and became a gem for the few that caught the clearance sales.

The Beat Thang is another. I still remember the first ad video of the creators walking in slow motion down a street with things blowing up around them (or was it just flames?)

Fruity Loops survived being called Fruity Loops because of what it did -easily. Then it grew and it's called FL STUDIO. Beat Thang, if not for all the negativity (based on an unnecessary war with AKAI users) and the personal slings like one of the BT creators saying they wanted to beat battle the owner of KORG or some such silliness....lol....would have survived and be called THE BT1 by now.

It fell short of what it promised, which was.....
TOTAL INTEGRATION WITH YOUR COMPUTER = seamless transition from standalone hardware to plug in.
That was reason enough to ignore all the hype and hate.
But you didn't get that.

Combine that with an expensive launch price....yikes!
At its current sale price (for leftovers and used) it's right.

What it does, is still impressive. The build is real solid and everyone agrees the sound is dead on for a modern beat context.
Now you add those two and keep being FUN with all the silly effect names and such and it becomes hard to take as seriously.

But hey, back then, there was a large tilt of NEW PRODUCAS entering the market and that group is easily influenced and just seeing all that negative noise was discouraging. The rush-to-be-the-next has died down so its more about your personal interest in being a producer and not a flock of sheep following a trend. Now cats are still following sounds, but not so much the gear like they used to.

I was following the Beat Thang closely; looked like a cool, fun piece of hardware. But the price!! And apparently (even then) not much support.

GJ

Back