so... ya think the Beat Thang is still a toy?

I'm not sure why Salem is so opposed to the Beat Thang that he takes time out of his busy schedule to denounce those who like the machine and see the value in it.

This guy reminds me of dansgold. Sheesh!

I'm not sure why Salem is so opposed to the Beat Thang that he takes time out of his busy schedule to denounce those who like the machine and see the value in it.

The time I spend on FP is coffee-sipping downtime that I use to rest my ears during a mixing session or just taking a loner-break -- It's time that wouldn't be spent doing anything productive.

Balance is important in life, Mr. Internetgrind -- sometimes you come up with the best music ideas when you just leave it alone for a while.

Back on topic -- I think that the main concept of the Beat Thang has potential, but its current prototype has a few extremely retarded flaws, the first being its MSRP.

Last edited:
At the end of the day folks will use what they want, it really doesn't matter everyone is entitled to their own opinion when spending their hard earned money.

Lot's of products most write off as toys ended up being very useful, at the same time there are "professional tools" that end up hindering a persons workflow more than helping it.

It's really all just personal and how it fits into your grand scheme of things. If you spend most of your time in a studio, there probably isn't much need for something like this.

The main thing for me, is being able to take it with me and still have a decent set of tools so I can actually make something worth doing, instead of just "playing around" with stuff.

Having my sample collection with me in a portable sequencer/sampler has always been something I wanted to do, that's the draw for me.

The real test will be when it actually ships and we get to use it, will the battery last long enough to be worth taking with me, or will it just last long enough to piss me off lol.

We shall see.

dope equipment hope it gets a fair shot.... good luck convincing the mpc fam

does dansgold still post here?

anway i think salem beats is being a little bit anal about the whole "toy" issue. you can't really make up your own definition for what a toy is and then expect to be able to apply universally to stuff in the real world. but i do respect his opinion that it does look like a rather overpriced toy (looks).

i personally don't know what to make of the marketing of this product. me and a couple of friends have talked about it and we've been only been able to think of a couple of things:

1. the name, image, design and marketing of the product is intended to create some sort of buzz as they don't have as much to spend on marketing as some of the big companies.

2. these guys are not doing this independent and are actually being funded by korg/akai/roland/whoever. the only other time i've heard of the beat kangz was when they were involved in that zoom streetbox drum machine a couple of years back. it's no secret that software has hit the hardware market hard. products like hardware samplers are on the way out. maybe a bigger company wanted to take a crack at developing and marketing a new hardware drum sampler, but they wanted to try a new image to see if sales would increase, without damaging the more "serious" reputation of the parent brand.

3. these guys are mental and have no idea how to market or design a product.

i would really like to see a feature list for this thing. can it resample? i know a large proportion of the people still buying hardware drum samplers are hip-hop heads but these guys don't need to alienate people who make other genres so much. maybe it would be a smart idea to have two designs. the current design and maybe a more classical one as well.

what makes u think they r not independent, if they was working for akia why they dissin them? seems like some wild speculation going on but its based on nothing.

i guess if they change the name to the BT 1000, it would get a lil more respect... then, u change the "blang and bang" buttons to its rightful names, a lil more respect would come... after that, eliminate the excess amount of lights u guys think they have on the unit the respect would be even better... finally, take the pads, square them off, and set them into 4 rows of 4, and talk scientifically (i guess that means a lil bit more mature) in the videos, and the respect would be thru tha roof!!! not to mention drop the price to $100.

then everyone would buy then right?

i dont want anyone to buy it... let me be the only one with it... only a handful have what i use, and our music sounds very similar anyway... melody, drums, samples, bassline, strings, guitars... etc... i use hardware, u use software... big deal u might be done faster... i never gave a f*ck about that... i got pieces that will always be used... and the BT 1000 is for the road, bus trips, airplane flights, lunchtime... call it what u want... the sounds are high quality enuff to go straight from that piece right to the album, then to the radio.

toy my a$$!!!

da relic

Last edited:
Everyone who has even tried to start a project of his own knows how hard it can get. I'd bet those people didn't know a lot of things included with starting a business like this, and just learned by doing, making mistakes and learning from them.

I can't hate on these people, they are trying with all their ambitions to create a quality product and make it as good as their abilities and resources allow them to. It seem they've been close with their users and really tried to implement all the feedback.

Giving a product the "ghetto flair" is not really my 'thang', but if that's what they believe in and if they think their main target will like it, then all I can do is give the dudes some respect for trying their hardest with the abilities and resources they have available.

they are def independent...

they don't get a pass just because they are though, they have to deliver, and if the hardware, which I've been waiting for since last year...doesn't live up to the "hype" then that's the end of the story.

the software isn't game changing in my opinion, I have other software that really fits my needs. From the time I saw the "proposed features" I was interested in the hardware.

as soon as I can get my hands on one I will be testing it out fully and sharing my reports.

if it don't do what it should, then the market will dictate it's future, just like anything else.

If it is anything like the software version:

Then yes, I think it is a toy.

well then you should look at everything as a toy. I've seen nothin hardware or software that didn't have people who had issues with it. Mashcine, bpm, live, mpc, asrx, etc.

that's just part of it, for everyone that has issues with a product there is someone that doesn't.

but like I said, this is like anything else we will have to see when it comes out.

if it's wack, end of story.

I have the software, it's nothin magical but I don't have all those problems others do. I will say it's a very simple app and that can be good or bad for some.

software wise I prefer maschine or live.

the software was of no interest to me i hopem bug is ironed out for the hardware (which does resample)

if the **** is wack like dude said thats the end of the chapter

the software bugs do not carry onto the hardware... its something totally different... there's really nothin to talk about... if u dont wanna buy it, then dont... im not a software guy... i like my hardware... i also like a dedicated system that doesnt need plugins and other add ons to run... the BT1000's gonna be fine.

da relic

on paper and from what ive seen beat thang is my ideal machine, but id did hear that the virtual was used to develop the software feature set to be used on the hardware.

looks interesting but not too pro . I'd accept as freeware but be best with a hardware sampler that will last decades I seen 10 year old gear still working as new . Can't see this box lasting a life time

u gotta be kiddin me... anything that has just a GOOD sampler, and powerful sequencer, is still bein used 2day... this machine is giving you 3000 sounds on top of everything else its supposed to come with... how can u say its not gonna have a long lifespan? and the last vid alone shows that build quality is very important to them... for them to even consider changin the pads at this late stage of development means alot to me.

da relic

well then you should look at everything as a toy. I've seen nothin hardware or software that didn't have people who had issues with it. Mashcine, bpm, live, mpc, asrx, etc.

that's just part of it, for everyone that has issues with a product there is someone that doesn't.

but like I said, this is like anything else we will have to see when it comes out.

if it's wack, end of story.

I have the software, it's nothin magical but I don't have all those problems others do. I will say it's a very simple app and that can be good or bad for some.

software wise I prefer maschine or live.

Aren't you one of the developers or a paid endorser or something?

I'm not buying your neutrality statements -- they seem contrived.

Last edited:
Aren't you one of the developers or a paid endorser or something?

I'm not buying your neutrality statements -- they seem contrived.

No I'm not a developer or a "paid endorser" I cover and review gear for many different companies. That's what I do...do your research before spewing out garbage about me...we can talk about gear all day long, but questioning my integrity based on what you "think" you know is taking it to another level.

I guess I'm a paid endorser or developer for Native Instruments, FXpansion, IK Multimedia, Big Fish, Presonus, East West and any other company who's products I cover huh?

Get back to talkin about the gear please, thank you.

Back