Sampling at 45 instead of 33

roon

I'm curious, I usually sample at 33 so I know the sample is in tune and I can then find the key its in. Will sampling at 45 raise the pitch of the sample exactly a semitone or two? Anyone have any info on this?

Well...if your trying to sample off of 45 rpm records it wont be off pitch at all..45 rpm is just the speed that the record plays at, so if its a 45rpm record then itll sound exactly how it was recorded to sound

big timothy said:
Well...if your trying to sample off of 45 rpm records it wont be off pitch at all..45 rpm is just the speed that the record plays at, so if its a 45rpm record then itll sound exactly how it was recorded to sound

people sample 33 rpm records at 45 rpm's and then slow down the sample in the proper percentage to save samplespace.. that goes especially for older samplers with limited ram

aiight.. Lets say, I'm sampling a 12" (which is played at 33). At 33 the sample is in the key of C. and then I switch the speed to 45. what key will the sample be now? I'm just trying to speed up my sampling process. I guess I'll try to find out myself. Thanks for the replies fellas. :)

baggysound said:

people sample 33 rpm records at 45 rpm's and then slow down the sample in the proper percentage to save samplespace.. that goes especially for older samplers with limited ram

aaaahhhhh..that makes sense lol- very smart idea

but i think both of us were off haha

to bring back samples recorded at 45 rom back to the spped of 33 rpm is 10 semitones, i believe. on mpc's you tune down the sample by -50, but i dont know on other machines

no problem... that chart may be a little hard to read/understand, but if you want a more exact value, set your table to 45RPM speed, and set the pitch adjust to -1.09% (-1%).

if the note is a C, at 33 1/3 RPM (+0%) Speed.

then, you can get an F, by setting the speed to 45 RPM (-1.09%).

peace.

No judgment, I'm just stating that it is apparent that a hardware sampler was never used. The grit and dirt from a vinyl record, sped up to 45rpm then slowed down is part of the color, that umph that made the golden era so funky!!!

Back