Sampler Suggestions

Xabiton

Cupcake God
I am looking for a drum style sampler and I don't want to spend more than $600 tops. I am looking for something thats not too clean and not too dirty. A lot of features aren't important for me but the sound of the machine itself is. I want something that is clean enough for pop records but dirty enough for hip hop during the time of 1998-2002. I think the sp606 or a mpc 2000 might give me that sound. Any suggestions would be helpful

ill be sequencing on my esq1 so sequencers arent an issue. why the sp404? how does it sound? is it clean or somewhat gritty? I dont want to work to get a dirty sound I want my machine to just sound that way. Example the mpc 2500 is too clean for what I want.

and how can I sequence this on other gear it only has a midi no no midi out

Last edited:
An sampler in the roland SP series will do you fine. The older ones have variable sample rates. And the newer ones got a more punchy sound than MPCs do and the lofi effect works very well and acts as a variable sample rate. I would probably look at the SP-555 and SP-606 with the budget you got.

i dont know if i trust the emulators ive never been satisfied with the software ones ive used. I may take a look at the 606 tho thanks. How about the asrx? again a ton of functions aren't important to me but sound is. As long as I have a decent amount of sample time Im happy.

i wouldnt sample into a triton i like the triton sounds well most of them but i wouldnt **** with it for drums. i think ima get me an asrx. i would even venture to say that the 2kxl is too clean for me. i want a little bit of grit to my sounds and yes u can resample on the 2kxl but from what i hear it takes forever to do. I want something that just has that classic hip hop sound to it but aint too dirty incase i want to do pop or r&b records later and i think the asrx may be what i am looking for

and my synths dont sound overly clean at all. then again they arent modern synths either. i lose a lot as far as quantity goes but i get better quality imo

Last edited:
If you are not concerned about sequencers - why not look at Rack Samplers. You could get an S900/S950 for really cheap - for a 12bit sound; and complement this with something a bit more up-to-date such as an S3000xl - both of these will come in really cheaply (under $600) for both. They work really well for drums - plus you have the flexibility to sample synths & instruments.

Pad controller + standalone sequencer + rackmount samplers = poor man's MPC. If you decide you want an S950 I've got one for sale.

Also, maybe consider the Yamaha RS7000.

BigRyan said:
Pad controller + standalone sequencer + rackmount samplers = poor man's MPC. If you decide you want an S950 I've got one for sale.

Also, maybe consider the Yamaha RS7000.
dont really care if its a mpc or not i simply dont have the space to use my pad controller and a sampler so i want them all in one unit

sammyb90 said:
how about adding an MPD 16/24/trigger finger...

that bundle will still come in at under $600
i have a mpd16 already. But I am really just looking for a box with everything Ill need right there. I think the ASRX may do the trick for me

Last edited:
^yea i saw that. thats a no go. I think I am going to go with an asrx i think that will be perfect it sounds dope its small and has more than enough sample time especially on the pro

I dont think the ASRX gets very dirty. Ive never used one. Dont get me wrong, they sound really dope. But I dont know if id call it dirty :)

i dont need super dirty everything ive heard from it is a good middle point its dirty but clean at the same time

Back