Roland SP-404 question?

D

drumfresh

How, if it's possible, do I pan samples in the 404? Do i have to just sample them in panned left or right or is it possible to do it inside the machine?

you'd have to sample them panned. the 404 can't do it.

thats too bad, also got another question. Is it possible to play more then one pattern sequence at the same time, for example, could i have my drum pattern on one pad and have bass, string, horns, etc.. on another pad so that im able to bring specific parts in and out as i want?

drumfresh said:
thats too bad, also got another question. Is it possible to play more then one pattern sequence at the same time, for example, could i have my drum pattern on one pad and have bass, string, horns, etc.. on another pad so that im able to bring specific parts in and out as i want?

no only 1 pattern at a time. simply make a pattern with bass/strings and without bass/strings and chop between them.

yea thats what i thought i would have to do. Wish i still had my mpc, im used to mixing it all in the mp, just one sequence and mute things in and out on different tracks and recording that live, but now this is my only piece of equipment, so im gonna have to get creative. If any one is using the sp-404 stand alone shoot me some tips on how u get the most out of it. This would be bad next to an mpc, feelin it. Thanks for the replies folks.

the 404 is a DJ tool. That's what it's designed for. You'll need to get an MPC or a 606 to do the kinds of 'producer' stuff that you want to do...

***try before you buy folks***

Having said that - why not rise to the challange....The 404 works at 44khz so you can use it to make tracks so long as you own a computer (which I assume you do) and a sequencer. It doesn't need to be pro tools either - you can get great results with a free sequencer like Cmusic (from computer music magazine). Make your loops with the 404, record them and sequence on the computer. Burn CDs of your finished tracks and when you play out mix some of the original loops off the 404 back in with the burnt CD copies - instant remix action.

Yes I know that's all a lot of work.......but it's still not as bad as it was ten years ago so take heart and keep at it!

VexaDJ said:
the 404 is a DJ tool. That's what it's designed for. You'll need to get an MPC or a 606 to do the kinds of 'producer' stuff that you want to do...

***try before you buy folks***

Having said that - why not rise to the challange....The 404 works at 44khz so you can use it to make tracks so long as you own a computer (which I assume you do) and a sequencer. It doesn't need to be pro tools either - you can get great results with a free sequencer like Cmusic (from computer music magazine). Make your loops with the 404, record them and sequence on the computer. Burn CDs of your finished tracks and when you play out mix some of the original loops off the 404 back in with the burnt CD copies - instant remix action.

Yes I know that's all a lot of work.......but it's still not as bad as it was ten years ago so take heart and keep at it!

I see what your saying, but i wish i could try before i buy but i live in chico,ca their are no guitar centers, the music shops here dont cater to hip-hop or electronic producers whatever you wanna call it. I have a computer, I have cakewalk home studio, i started making beats using sound modules and a midi controller and using cakewalk to sequence i bought an mpc to step away from that so i dont really want to go back, it aint a trip though im a raise to the challenge, do what i got to do with what i got for now, when i get my money strait ima but an mpc 2000 or xl, and then ill be back. Vexa you got some dope ideas thanks for the tips ima try remixin some of my own loops thats defly somethin that helps.

as long as you have some kind of recorder, even a tape deck, you can make full beaats on your 404. simply get all your patterns ready and then play them in sequence recording to tape. you could then go back and overdub mutes - old school.

You canstore all these beat parts ready on your 404(that is the beat ight there), what you cannot do is store a 5 min beat looped, i don't see the problem with this.

The tape deck thing is right on. I used a 404 and a little 4 track forever, works great. Threw in a MC-50 sequencer a while ago and it just got better. Something I used to do is take my friends basic sequences from his computer (like a baisic piano or bass line) and chop them up and rearrange them. One of the ways a hardware sampler beats the hell out of a software sampler in my opinion. And of course you can do that to samples off records. Another thing I do is I get the same beat mapped to two pads and mess with one with say the bpm looper or a delay while the other one is loopin. It can sound sick if you do it right. I dunno.

Anyway, its a slick tool. I'd be lost without mine, and I got an s950 and an mpc60. Its great for bouncing stuff to it and messing with it while you're out riding the bus or at school or something. Keep it up. Hasta.

That's awesome man! People would do well to take note of what you are doing - USING what you have to make music instead of worrying about what you don't have (or need, really).....

It's an awesome piece of kit. I wrote one of the reviews for it on here ansd it all still stands. The sequencewr sucks, sure, and it's non-velocity, but both can be remedied very easily as it has MIDI-in and the price of sequencers or digital-audio ins comes down. I bought it for double-use- as a beatmaker and for my DJ sets.

It's fairly rugged and I can tell you it's the bomb on the bus. Like hell would I be busting out my laptop, midi controllers, etc etc on a bus to make beats. Just pop it out, throw on some phones, and bring a cd player or ipod to sample off of and bam.

It's some people's taste.

Back