Roland Mv 8800 or Roland Fantom x6

leodigital

What's up everyone. (it's my first post, and i want to say that is is the best music forum that i found on the web. Props!)

My question is: I want to buy a Roland Mv 8800 but i saw that u can sample too on the Roland X6.
I'm a hip hop Sample producer but i like to make Commercial music too sometimes or R&B. But i'm not pretty good with the keys...i'm still learning and want to learn more.

What you al will recomended me to buy?
Which is better en easy way to work with. (I like the VGA..of the MV)

Let me know guys.:o

Nah man go with the X6 as you can sample on it,
and you want have to w8 to load your sounds,

Keys are easy once you have a play mayn.
I had the MV but on the real its slow when it comes to loading sounds from it and there is 2much down time and when your in the creative mode down time ant a good thing!!!

But hey thats just me,
And every one is different

x6

Synthetik Vibe said:
Nah man go with the X6 as you can sample on it,
and you want have to w8 to load your sounds,

Keys are easy once you have a play mayn.
I had the MV but on the real its slow when it comes to loading sounds from it and there is 2much down time and when your in the creative mode down time ant a good thing!!!

But hey thats just me,
And every one is different
on the real deal,you need both.mv for drums and sampling and the fantome x6 for nicer keys,just midi up the mv as the master and the fantom as the slave.i work with both,but its the mv 8000 and the korg triton,buy one now and save and get the other one later.

ok , i didn't know that MV was slow to load your sounds. But i saw the Drum Pads on the Roland Fantom... how they working? Is it fine to work with those little pads? (mpc style?)

i didnt write that it was slow,its not slow at all to load your sounds ,if your wave memory space is almost full then it will load slow,but other than that it is a great machein,i dont have any problem with mine,alote of people just dont read the manual,i orderd two vedios ,one from amozon,and another one from samplekings,but far as the fantom drums most of the time you have to layer them to get that full hard sound,but i no some people that can make the fantom drums sound real good,but i always preferd to have both,but if you are just going to get one ,go with the fantom,but on the other hand the mv can burn write to a cd..so either one is a good choice,but try to invest in both,i no how money is,i got almost every thing i need i just took my time and put stuff in the layaway,but it took me a wile,it was worth the waite,but i think its better to get the fantom first,because some people can do every thing with the fantom,because the midi controllers hooked to the mv dont sound as good as the real fantom keys. good luck peace.

oh!yes you can play the pads mpc style on the fantom ,and roland sales some kind of expand kit for the fantom drums.SO,go with the fantom ,but make sure you learn every thing,and i mean every thing about it ,that way you will not cheat your self. Alote of people just learn how to record and loop,then they are satisfied,but its way way more thing you can do with the fantom.you can creat a introe,hook and bridge,you can make a complete song,so make sure you read the manual,and order a video from sample kings,and you will be just fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the advise ivyriley.
I think i will go to buy the fantom first! Because i wanted to learn how to play keys too. Then i can chek the MV or a MPC. But the thing that i like of the MV is that u can hook up a SCREEN. That is nicer...and with a mouse too. But i understand that when i get the MV i will have a Synth on the side to play more sounds or for more sound.

The Fantom has more sounds right?

if ur heavy into sampling MV if ur more a composer Fantom X

me i got a MV and a Motif so having both will kill,,but the fantom can do it all

yes the fantom has more sounds and better sounding quality.yeah!the computer monitor is cool,but you can always have a extra monitor hooked to something else,for a nice look,you can hook two monitors ,to your pc,and have a split screen ,one for your editing ,and one for your mixing. Are you going to track your fantom in a pc? or in a multi track cd recorder. i use pro-tools,but i have cubase and magix and all different kinds of software.but when you start making your cd"s,make sure you record every thing track for track.like kick on 1 and snair on 2 hihat on 3 keys on 4,5,6 etc. that way you can mix each instruments separately.and when you buy it start watching youtube.and just type fantom x6 or mv 8800,or whichever one you buy.and you can learn alot from them guys on their.but i would go with the fantom first.and then the mv or mpc later,but who knows ,you might learn how to master the fantom,and dont even want nothing else ,i like both,but some cats i know, can do every thing with just the fantom,and make thier drums bang just like a mpc or mv, i couldnt get that bang form the triton,so thats why i got a mv to.but now that i have learned alote ,you can layer your synth drums,and track them threw you pc .and add effex on them and eq them and will make your fantom drums sound just as good as a mpc or mv. i was a rookie at first ,but i didnt know this stuff before,but i am still learning to,so keep learning and you will be amazed on what you will be able to do,forget what some people say just keep learning,and your sounds will bang.

Thanx Ivyriley,
I'm watching evereday you tube how they work with the MV and Fantom. And yes i wanna track my antom to my pc for data, files etc etc. Yeah i'm thinking now to buy fantom and thats it :-)
Thanx!! A lot!

The Fantom X has alot of good sounds out the box. And there's quite a bit you can do to those sounds to change it up. There's also I think like 12 different expansion packs you can get. You can only put 4 in the Fantom X tho, but they're still going for like $275.
I've been looking at the MV-8800 too. I'm gonna get one to go with my X6 here pretty soon. Then eventually I'm gonna up grade to the G6. It'll be over with then.
But yeah. I'd say get the Fantom first. ****, get a Fantom G6 if you can. Those things are NASTY! And apparently alot of the sounds it comes with are from the Fantom X expansions. That means better sound right out of the box.

I Have The Mv8800, I Used To Have A Mpc1000. The Mv Is Slow On Loading Instruments If You Want To Load 4 Or 5 Instruments At Once. Apart From That Its Really Fast. If I Was You , I Would Get The Mv Then The Fantom. Because You Are Not Good With The Keys Yet. And You Can Buy A Midi Controller And Connected That To The Mv And Play Whatever Melody, Bassline You Want. My Point Is The Mv8800 Should Be First And Then The Fantom

So many misconceptions so little time

If you are making beats the MV kills the x6. Kills it.

First off, the X 6 only has linear sequencing whereas the MV has both linear and pattern

People should know what they are talking about before they talk about gear and its obvious that they don't have the gear that they are giving an opinion on. Many like to repeat what they've heard on forums without knowing for themselves.

The MV 8000 was slow to load samples. The MV 8800 is not.

As far as handling samples. Its no comptition. The sampling engine in the MV 88 is just light years ahead of the x6.

The x6 was made for keybpardists that also make beats secondary.

The MV was made for beat makers.

The MV also has a powerful sound generation chip in it and handles sampled sound and patch loaded sounds like a champ. Since the engine is so sophisticated it can multisample very very easily, so in essence you can buy Fantom patches or buy the sonic cell module and you will have all of the fantom sounds anyway.

It has an internal 40 gig har drive - Fantom needs a PC to handle all of the heavy storage.

It stores ina project format

you can track into 16 vox and 132 midi in to the MV.

All you really need is a patch library, a midi keyboard and a VGA monitor and you are done.

If you don't beleive me, go to the fantomized forum and ask the Fantom expert Artiemo which machine is better the sample based hip hop beat maker.

If you want it ALL now, get the 30,000 sound patch bank from "Trsty" who posts here and on MVnation for $40 and then get a midi controller.

His patch set is ill and it has all of the Roland sounds including the best pf the SRX from Fantom.

Then you have your keys.

People look at the Mv and think its another MPC with a VGA. THEY COULDN'T BE MORE WRONG.

iT IS

A VS style digital track recorder

A sound module

an MPC

It has its own OS (looks alot like Acid Pro) for designing the songs, tracking them, and building them

a better sampling capability than te Fantom (thats not an opinion, the chip is a much better chip than the Fantom sound chip)

Better sampling mangling options (just handles samples without out much work like there is with the fantom) it has beat matching so you press a button and automitically syncs the sample to the beat and keeps the pitch the same. THATS CRAZY. thats something that takes time with the fantom. Lots of it as well.

and you dont need external gear to load up your samples like with the Fantom, you can load them up right from the built in disc drive.

I know my gear and for the dude that saod theres alot of down time with the MV, well I dont want to diss, but maybe dude is doing somethings the hard way out of ignorance of his gear, because I have used every popular sampler out there and this one does more and does it quicker and easier than all of them

The Fantom is for keyboardists.

Like I said, if you want that, add a midi keyboard and buy Trustys patches anyway for $40

Last edited:
leodigital said:
Thanks for the advise ivyriley.
I think i will go to buy the fantom first! Because i wanted to learn how to play keys too. Then i can chek the MV or a MPC. But the thing that i like of the MV is that u can hook up a SCREEN. That is nicer...and with a mouse too. But i understand that when i get the MV i will have a Synth on the side to play more sounds or for more sound.

The Fantom has more sounds right?
I would get the Fantom X and try a MPC 4000, if you can get one. It's the best of both worlds.

People say Fantom because thats what everyone else is doing. so yeah, if you wanna sound like everyone else get the fantom man.

If not, then get an Alesis Fusion and an MV 8800

that way you can make your own sounds in a way that nothing can match.

Back