Quick question about Roland MC909

Dissevered

Hey guys, Im new here so hello :)

I just got the mc909 and am having trouble with something. I sampled some kick drum and snare drum sounds and on the particular pattern I loaded them up on, it has the release set very low, which is cutting out the sample early. I maxed out the release and saved the pattern, but it never holds the setting. When I go back to that pattern, or turn off/on the mc909, it goes back to a low release setting. How can I get it to save the adjusted amp settings?

Sorry if this question sounds dumb, but I upgraded from a Korg Electribe, so this is a whole new world lol.

Thanks in advance :)

With the 909, the patches are saved separate from the pattern. This is so that you can build up a library of patches and use them in many different patterns easily.

What you need to do is to save the Rhythm patch after you edit it. Make your tweaks, and then:

Press the WRITE button. It should default to "Patch/Rhythm". If it doesn't, then select "Patch/Rhythm" using the data wheel and press WRITE again.

Give the patch a name using the data wheel and arrow keys. I usually name each patch for the song it's in (Unless I'm just hardcore making lots of drumkits for later use.) Press WRITE again.

Choose a location to save the patch. If you don't have a Smart Media card, you'll need to save your new patch to internal memory. If you DO have Smart Media, press the "Right" cursor arrow to access the card, then spin the data wheel to find an empty slot. Press Soft Button F6 "Write". The 909 asks you "are you sure?" Press soft button F6 "Execute" again to write the patch.

Next, save your pattern. This saves the pattern, while referencing the new tweaked patch.

Congrats on your new MC-909! It's an awesome machine, both easy to use and deep.

If you want to make custom drum kits, you can start with a factory kit and just plug in your own samples. The release times and stuff is usually close to correct, so you have less work to do and more time to concentrate on the music.

-Hoax

Thanks for the reply :), and sorry for mine taking so long.

I have another problem though and this one kinda worries me...

Im using the machine in an industrial metal project, so naturally the drums are a bit chaotic. One of the patterns I made has a ton of double bass patterns and for some reason, it sounds like the MC909 is having trouble playing them. Almost like the machine is having little hiccups because more is going on.

Its not even like theres a lot going on though... I only have 8 tracks used, 3 tracks are sampled drum sounds, 4 are other drum sounds and the 8th is just a bass line using all 4 tone switches.

The hiccups are in different places each time the loop restarts so I dont think its a programming error. It just sounds like sometimes the kick drum is being played by someone who sucks at drums :P

Im not sure what to do, get it serviced/replaced, get a different machine? Is what Im doing out of the ability range for this machine?

Last edited:
Back