Which Drum Samples do you prefer?

• One-hit WAV samples

Votes: 155 89.1%
  • VSTi drumkits

Votes: 13 7.5%
  • I only use drum loops, dog!

Votes: 6 3.4%

• Total voters
to battery could be a drum vst, its technically a sampler so i guess people see a drum vst as a vst with a lot of drums sounds but with no ability to sample...i use some preset stuff in battery, their kits are dope, like the ethnic kits, but for regular claps and kicks, the kits suck..so i use one shots for that..i have all my stuff in the exs24. i really want to be organized and make neat little folders so i can find whatever im looking for easily, but this kit-making takes up so much time, i just want to make music..lol... Before i used to just a make kit on the stop for whatever song i did and deleted it afterwards, but i find it so much easier to have premade kits so u can just rock out and make music easier and quicker

it depends. for genres that require electornic sounds (hip-hop, pop , electronica etc) then wavs are the way to go , but for soongs that require acoustinc sounding drums with veolicity sensitivity and different samples playing round robin etc, then VSTs are easier

hmm I think the question is kinda open to interpretation. Im guessing u mean vst emulations (synthesized drums) and vst's with canned sounds (never good) any vst sampler is just another method as opposed to a step sequencer.

as far as vst emulations the only software ive found that actually sounds great is d16 groups 808, 909, and 606 emulations. u can shape ur sounds just like using the old gear. turn that decay up and sweep the sound ect. ect. any vst using samples that doesent let u change the samples is a joke or a gimmick.

I use Reason so one hit .wav files are best for me. I do use the occasional break but I usually run it through ReCycle first.

Definitely one-shots for me.
Maybe loops,

But never VST.
Lets leave it to newbies, and all that 'megaproducers' of minimal techno.

My vote goes to One hit wav.'s. I never bothered to get into those VST's and i'm anyway moving to hardware bit by bit..

I prefer real live drums over VSTi that claim to give a high quality 'live' sound. If I need authentic sounds, I use the real deal.

For everything else I use samples that I've tweaked into what I was looking for.

When it comes to selecting sounds or sampling that's never going to be random. But if I come across a VSTi drum sound that would fit with a couple of tweaks, I'm not going to pretend it doesn't exist.

I think for coherency's sake, it's usually best to just sample everything and not use premade kits.

I pretty much hate most Vsti anything, especially for drums and real instrumets.....I usually only use vst's for synthetic techno sounds

i use both but some vst drum machines are over used and usally lower quality (all the dsk 1s especially, i prefer to sample my 1 shot wavs from real keyboards and drum machines and use effects to change them or cut them from old songs, usally the drums are better quality that way but sayin that i dont know if any1 has used a vst called ravity r? but wow its good for vst drums. but usally i use a software sample player like guru, battery, hallion or sample tank (i have all those kuz well im obsessed with samples) to turn 1 sample in to an istrument itself playin 1 sound in differnt pitches or i chop and asign differnt samples to differnt midi keys and play mpc style (for drums instruments vocs wateva) but yea wav 1 shots get my vote aslong as were talkin about makkin ur own 1s n not buyin or downloadin sample packs, kuz u'll just here ure 1shots on other peoples tracks.

Back