are the oldschool akais still worth it :)

nope. unless for pure nostalgia purposes. you have more processing power and compatability with ReCycle. Why make it harder to do something that is already possible and easier with software?

If you like using old hardware, go for it. Definately go for the 3200 though, over the 900. It has been used way more.

Aphex Twin still uses tons of old analog equipment even today, so I wouldn't say no to "nostalgia." You can always try to find something new out of anything. Processing power means nothing anyways, people are still using sp-1200s and Premier still uses the MPC 60. Speaking of Preemo, he also uses the s3200.

yeah, because thats what he knows how to use. what I'm saying is, you can do the same **** with a software tool, if not more easily.

software is easy :) but on another note what would u guys recommend i want a sample with pads for not too pricy kinda on a financial situation :)

Definately if you just want to stick with software and bang with pads, get the korg padkontrol, the mpd 24, or any of the type things. Search and see what people have been saying here and on music instrument sites about each.

This doesnt really need to get into a debate over software vs. hardware...

A full fledged sampler like the 3200 for $100 is well worth it in my eyes.

Old hardware rack samplers like the 900 still get use today because of it's filters and 12bit sound. You don't get something like that for its ease of use, although it is rather straightforward. It may be easier to sample in software, but you won't get the same crunch/punch/grit/warmth you can achieve in an s900/s950.

Again,YOU should dictate how you and your sound are achieved.There are positive and negatives on either side,it's more about your comfort level.Are you a more hands on persons? Is this just a hobby? What types of music are you planning on producing? Can whatever product you choose grow with you? For ALL you hater cats with the hater kids please stop it,because you use a particular product and it's easy for you does not mean it will work for everybody.He has to start somewhere.....worse he tries and it doesn't work for him??? How bad can that be??

They are worth $100 if you are going to use it...

...and hardware is geat if it is useful hardware...

But hardware just for the sake of hardware is not anything special.

Those AKAI's are pretty non distinctive sounding and I would not necessarily use one over a software sampler if you don't need to take the sampler out for live use or anything like that.

Software samplers are much more versatile... and unless it is a really early vintage sampler that has a very distinctive sound, i wouldn't bother...

I have a bunch of hardware samplers that i think sound better than any software sampler, but the difference isn't even so great that it is worth using these days... (in my opinion)

I think that hardware samplers are dope and while soft samplers have versatility and more possibilities,it takes longer to get an idea across.
With a good knowledge of music and creativity,those machines can be used forever

Hmmm...

Yes. No out the box software sounds as good as a rack mount sampler. Especially that S900. Really just an S950 with less features. Def. a good deal. Software requires good A/D conversion, keen sound selection and in some cases good plug-ins to sound 'good'. But everybody has a diff. definition of 'good' these days, so it's a matter of personal taste. One advantage to software though is editing, rack mount samplers are a hassle for editing efficiently compared to most pad or keyboard based workstations.

**The above few posts basically outline my sentiments from diff. perspectives.**

Last edited:
each person you ask is gonna give you a different answer. all these cats telling you to stick with software are telling you that because it's what works for THEM.

i use an mpc60/s950 setup and i couldn't be happier. to me, it definitely has a distinctive sound. that old skool low-fi 12-bit crunch just can't be matched by any software i've heard. if you ask me, i'd say go for it, especially if it's $100.

technically, the gear might be a bit outdated... BUT like someone said above, with enough vision and creativity it can be used forever. the thing is built like a damn tank.

efficiency-wise, yeah editing/chopping on the s950 can be a bit slow, but i've been using mine long enough that it's no longer an issue.

personally i prefer twisting knobs, pushing buttons and beating on pads to clicking a mouse and staring at a computer screen, but that's me.

at the end of the day, the software/hardware debate is irrelevant. it's all YOU and YOUR STYLE that's gonna dictate what kind of music you produce... the gear is just the means to bring your ideas to fruition.

do your research, figure out what style/sound you're going for, what method you think you prefer, and decide for yourself. that's my advice.

Last edited:
Definitely still worth it, especially if you're only paying $100 for it!!! I still use those to this day and they'll always be valuable. In fact, just listen to a lot of golden era Hip Hop from like the 90s and see how crazy a lot of those beats sounded. These pieces of equipment aren't gonna become useless just because of the new stuff that's available nowadays. Then again, like many have said here already, it's really just a matter of personal preference when it comes to equipment cuz YOU are making the music. Just use what you're comfortable with. New equipment doesn't make anyone become a dope producer lol.

Funny, as there are alot of people who would ask themselves if the new Akai's are worth it.

Back