Old MPC 2000 or MPC 500?

Status
Not open for further replies.

quantumphysics

Alright, I'm debating weather or not to get an older MPC 2000 or a new MPC 500. They are both around the same price on ebay.

I'm NOT getting this as my main peace of equipment!!!

I already Run Cubase/Reason, numerous vsts along with my ASR-10

The reason i want an MPC is PURLEY just for the FUN of it, I'm addicted to hardware samplers and I'm in love with my ASR 10. And I want another hardware sampler to toy with!!

The reason I ask which one I should get is because I wanted to know if they both produce that same nice MPC sound! And if one has better features than the other?

If they both produce the exact same sound/features and all that, I'll go right ahead and snatch up the MPC 500, cuz its portable of course. who doesn't want a portable drum machine??

I don't trust the pads on the MPC 500, I don't know if they fixed it in the newer 500 series so correct me if i'm wrong. I would go for the 2000 without a doubt. Less fragile and more trustworthy from what i've experienced.

IC, so i'm assuming the sound isn't as good with the 500? and you can't do nearly as much?

Anythoughts on this any body?

or is it just the small screen size that nobody likes?

If thats what you want....you can make it work...I wouldnt get it but...you know your personal choice
but MPC 2000 is classic plus it will look good with your ars 10
<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/BQsxNkf69J4&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/BQsxNkf69J4&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Last edited:
MPC 500 is a good piece. It is very simple but good enough for basic beats. I had a 2000 and it broke. i replaced it with a 500 and its cool. Its not a 2500 but you can load up your beats on a 1000 or 2500 which is cool. Not bad for $400. And the guys in Brazil are flipping it crazy too. i learned how to flip it live off of youtube. Its called Baile Funk and its a crazy movement down there. Check it out if you get a chance. Basically, you get the 128mb ram extension card and you fill the machine up with 22 minutes worth of sounds and you play them all live. I do the same style now but with breakbeats and soul records and its crazy.

i'm from the MPC 60 school and the 500 reminds me of that machine. Its kind of a throwback piece. Marley Marl even flipped it on Youtube. Check it out if you get a chance. 1ne.

The Original 2k is about 12 years old, so keep in mind if you want a really nice one it's likely to cost about as much as a new 500.
The 500 is cut down, but actually has about as many features as a 2000.
The 2k does not have special sound either. It's just clear (often described as sterile). Whatever you put in you should get a nearly perfect copy.
I imagine the 500 sounds similar.
The main advantage of the 2k is the 16 vs. 12 pads, and the option for to add 8 extra outputs.
The 500 has usb though, so I think it depends on what you need really.

I really think the 500 is an ok deal...if you find one for a good price on the used market.
A $300 used 500 is probably going to be in better shape than a $300 2k in most cases.

you can find used 1000'sand 2000's for as much as the 500 or cheaper, i prefer the 2000 over the 500 i own 2 2000's and a 1000 and experience on the 4000. ive played around with a 500 and wasnt impressed...

Last edited by a moderator:
quantumphysics said:
The reason i want an MPC is PURLEY just for the FUN of it, I'm addicted to hardware samplers and I'm in love with my ASR 10. And I want another hardware sampler to toy with!!

I am not sure what you SHOULD get but based on this statement alone I'd say give the 500 a minute and it may be just what you are looking for.

It IS kinda toy like compared to a 2500 etc ... but that is also part of the charm. It is the most fun sampler that I have had or had access to yet.

500 is straigt but if you just learning a mpc you should get a 1000 because you get alot more with tha 1000 then tha 500 other then that they do tha same thing.mpc 1000 simple but powerful 500 does tha same as long as you know how a mpc works

ehcsztein said:
I am not sure what you SHOULD get but based on this statement alone I'd say give the 500 a minute and it may be just what you are looking for.

It IS kinda toy like compared to a 2500 etc ... but that is also part of the charm. It is the most fun sampler that I have had or had access to yet.

i think you highlighted the wrong word there.

calling the 500 a toy is laughable. it is an extremely powerful machine. most people seem to dislike it because of the extensive menu-diving and the small screen. also nowadays people seem to have a problem chopping samples by ear. go and watch some videos on youtube with the 500. there is even some guy saying that the 500 doesn't have a chopping function!!!

people are always going to use gear as an extension of their penis. if one person has a 500 and another has a 2500 fully loaded and the guy with the 500 is making hotter beats then there is obviously going to be a little bit of insecurity going on. it's only natural. that's why you get people calling software like fruity loops and hardware like the 500 "toys".

but here's a fact;
dope music can be made on the 500. and you simply cannot argue that.

peace

alphawolf1 said:

calling the 500 a toy is laughable. it is an extremely powerful machine. most people seem to dislike it because of the extensive menu-diving and the small screen. also nowadays people seem to have a problem chopping samples by ear. go and watch some videos on youtube with the 500. there is even some guy saying that the 500 doesn't have a chopping function!!!

people are always going to use gear as an extension of their penis. if one person has a 500 and another has a 2500 fully loaded and the guy with the 500 is making hotter beats then there is obviously going to be a little bit of insecurity going on. it's only natural. that's why you get people calling software like fruity loops and hardware like the 500 "toys".

but here's a fact;

peace

lmao...nice analogy hahaha

but here's a fact;

peace[/QUOTE]

HAHA, what a great quote to burn anyone hating on soft synths, lol.

Thanx for all the feedback guys.

alphawolf1 said:

calling the 500 a toy is laughable.

I think you responded to an incomplete phrase ...

"It IS kinda toy like compared to a 2500 etc" != "It's a toy"

Reading comprehension FTW!

I love mine and will continue to use it and advocate others trying it out.

To each their own... not sure if the rest of your post is directed at me.

If it is... I find that quite laughable :)

cheers!

why arent people talking about the os isues of the 2000

to me there are two options unless there is no way you are gonna get more money

1. wait for the mpc1000 i dont know where you are but you should be able to get one for 500, and then put the jj os on it

or

2. get the 2000xl a much sturdier machine the the 2000 (what the 2000 was promised to be) and you can get these for about 500 as well) just dont rush into it and see if you can try them out, to be honest if you went with one or the other your style would adapt to fit that one and after 3 months you would think its the better one, the 1000 has more options with jj but the pads are an issue with people, the 2000xl to me is solid specially if you get one with a memory card or scsi. peace

Good job Chuck Pump. I was waiting on someone to mention the 2000XL. The 2000 is "ok" but the 2000XL is the machine to have. I live by it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back