new producer: what should I buy?

F

futureproducer12

I am a new "producer" looking to begin producing some hip-hop/rap background tracks. I am almost 100% inexperienced with producing, and I do not own pro tools, reason, logic studio, or any other computer software. I was thinking about buying the akai xr-20, but I realized that it does not support samples, which is a feature that I was looking for. If I invest in the sp-202 or maybe even the mpc-500 (a little bit expensive), would I be able to produce solely on the machine and use samples without using a computer software program? if not, what product do you suggest that I buy ?

Last edited by a moderator:
You can get a used mpc 1000 for about $400 on ebay, and it will be at least 10x more useful than an sp-202.

The MPC looks great , but Its a bit expensive and I've lost trust in ebay. The MC-808 is also more expensive than I expected. Does the SP-202 have built in sounds?

If I were to buy the MC-808 or the SP-202 , would I alslo have to purchase a turntable? Is there any way I can import the samples from a CD player instead?

futureproducer12 said:
Is there any way I can import the samples from a CD player instead?

yep ... almost as easy as from a turntable (turntables just queue up a lot faster cuz you can just place the needle as opposed to scanning through a track)

As far as cost is concerned... keep in mind that you are investing the money towards a long term goal.

There is a chance that buying lower priced gear now will only create a feeling of need to upgrade that gear later. Ultimately costing the lower + higher prices in the long run.

I'd definitly recomend looking into used MPCs (500/1000) & ASR-X pros etc so you can get a device that you can grow into as you learn the basics.

cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
anybody where I can find a used MPC 1000 (besides eBay)?

check your local pawn shops, might not have an MPC 1000, but they might have an ASR, SU-700, MPC-2000, RS-7000, SP-808 etc.

have you ever tried FL on weed man?

you would have to buy almost all those machines(asr, su700, rs7000) used. a lot of people don't like on-line auctions but i don't quite get it. i've never had a problem.

i would suggest an sp-404 or sp-606. the 606 can be found pretty cheap (and new)if you look hard enough. i would say the 606 is more a production sp than the 404. however i have the 404 and 808. one thing to remember is most samplers have little or no programmed sounds you'll have to find those yourself.

how about the machinedrum SPS-1 UW MkII? as you can tell from a recent post in this forum, i am now tapping out sounds from this amazing piece of equipment, and out of everything in the studio - the djm-1000, kore II, etc.. the machinedrum is the instant love affair, so to speak. the sounds, tweakability, 12 bit 'sound', cyber-retro .. pattern/song style live sequencing perfect for controlling outboard gear too, like an extra synth via midi.. do all functions realtime while the machine is playing.

UW refers to 'userwave' and is an amazing 2.5 megs of flash ram .. they really went all-out on that one, and yet.. somehow it all works and sets of sounds can be saved quickly to computer thru the interface and provided software that manages that side of things..

anyway the seven different "machines" in the machinedrum are where its at. the UW version is good because it can also can do resampling.

one more point to mention is that the machinedrum has audio inputs that run through unaffected, or key-compression techniques and other effects/filters can be applied .. one professional recorded an orchestra through the machinedrum's audio inputs to get a sound quality that only the machinedrum could easily provide.

Last edited:
isn't that machine drum come close to grand (to have) though?

Obitheincredible said:
My first machine was the boss sp 5050. Can be had for 200 ish used. COmes with sounds effects and you can sample!

the xv5050
or do u mean the 505? if so then yeah that was my first sampler too. it's a good piece that some pro's use.

Last edited:
yes jbl, the machinedrum is about a grand second hand, less if you go for the non-sampling model, and choose the Mk1

here is a Mk1 (with UW option) for a thousand euro's..
http://elektron-users.com/index.php?option=com_fireboard&Itemid=28&func=view&id=36333&catid=12

there must be cheaper ones out there tho, i just noticed this one and thought it would be appropriate to mention, because the machinedrum is awesome imho.

edit - just found this on craigslist..
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/msg/720644764.html

an SPS1, asking price $900 us. .. the machinedrums are awesome they have a range of different percussion and drum synthesizers inside them and just go play one to find out how pure and powerful the machinedrum's machines are.

and also, a review at emusician..
http://emusician.com/elecinstruments/emusic_elektron_machinedrum_sps/

the only reason i mention all this info is because i believe in going for the best quality you can afford (or save up a bit more for), because this approach combined with hard work results in really good product, and saves money later.

Last edited:
it depends on if your style, if your more into samples then you might wanna look into a drum machine, if you got your own ideas then get a board whether it be a midi controller and vst's or an expensive triton/ fantom etc... but this will only take care of the arrangement part, you wont be a producer till you figure out how to translate the emotions in your melodies into good songs

Back